Hawaiian Holiday 🎄🍾 LIVE from Koningsdam Dec 21-Jan 6: join me for my 1st solo cruise & 1st inside cabin!

Haljo1935

Last month, we were on the Koningsdam and encountered a couple who took their "obviously non-service dog" everywhere in a doggy pram.  We've seen service dogs on ships before and have friends with them.  This was not a service dog.  It was a yappy, little canine.  Not what I wanted to experience in the MDR at the next table. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Bemidji Ty said:

Last month, we were on the Koningsdam and encountered a couple who took their "obviously non-service dog" everywhere in a doggy pram.  We've seen service dogs on ships before and have friends with them.  This was not a service dog.  It was a yappy, little canine.  Not what I wanted to experience in the MDR at the next table. 

I had similar experience last month on NS - tutu wearing dog... 

• Like 3

I love that service animals allow their humans to continue to travel and live their best lives and I love that cruise ships welcome them onboard. 

I DO NOT think non-service animals should be allowed to impact another passenger’s enjoyment of their cruise experience. I don’t have a lot of experience with service animals, but why are there two of them?  And I thought they were trained to not bark at strange noises. 

I give you credit @Haljo1935 for waiting a couple of days to see if they settle down. I think I would be contacting guest services sooner than that.  

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

waiting2retire - I agree with you that service animals are important.  However, I don't understand why non-service animals are allowed on board.  If word gets out, every Tom, Dick and Harry will want to bring their non-service animals on board.

I agree also that I would be contacting guest services sooner rather than later!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, BetsyS. said:

waiting2retire - I agree with you that service animals are important.  However, I don't understand why non-service animals are allowed on board.  If word gets out, every Tom, Dick and Harry will want to bring their non-service animals on board.

I agree also that I would be contacting guest services sooner rather than later!

They are probably "emotional support animals" and that is why they were allowed on board.  People take advantage of that and the rest of us suffer.  I agree, I would be calling guest services now.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

They are probably "emotional support animals" and that is why they were allowed on board.  People take advantage of that and the rest of us suffer.  I agree, I would be calling guest services now.

Agreed. Emotional support animals are NOT covered under the American Disabilities Act. Even the Veterans Administration does not consider them  legitimate.

Edited by SonuvaBeach
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I was curious so I checked the HAL site and it clearly says pets are not allowed, but service animals are. Therapy and emotional support dogs don’t come under that description. And, 2! Surely, if they had somehow managed to manipulate this only one would be permitted. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I was curious so I checked the HAL site and it clearly says pets are not allowed, but service animals are. Therapy and emotional support dogs don’t come under that description. And, 2! Surely, if they had somehow managed to manipulate this only one would be permitted. 

Yes, I've read that, too, on their website. Last cruise (Oct 26 - Dec 10) on NS, there was a small, barking, tutu wearing dog that I'm fairly certain was not a service dog. These are the first 2 cruises I've been on with dogs that I didn't believe met the qualifications to be onboard. 

I love and miss my dogs (cat, too), but they don't cruise with me because they aren't service animals and I believe in the value of service animals and wouldn't even consider trying to work the system. 

I have read cruiselines (and other business) are not allowed to ask for proof of medical necessity; they can only ask for the health and travel documents for animals. 

So, here we (collective we speaking for other fur parents whose "kids" are not with them) are - on a ship missing our dogs and hoping the ones down the hall decide to act better so this doesn't have to escalate...ugh.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

I 1000% support service animals; they perform invaluable services and are extremely important.

I completely agree the onboard animal policy should be followed and am frustrated when I see this kind of (what IMO) is a violation. 

I haven't contacted GS yet because I'm trying to not be "that person." Also to give myself a few days to see if my reaction was due to lack of sleep and being frustrated. I think I know myself well enough to say it wasn't, but I really don't want to act prematurely. 🤔

On a lighter note, I'm having a good time and hope you will keep me abreast of Dallas Stars performances. No titles at stake this time, but I do like to know how they're pushing that puck around. 😉

• Like 7

Congratulations on the Dallas Stars win! They beat the Nashville Predators today 3-2! 🥂😊  Their next game will be on Wednesday, 12/27 @ 8 PM Eastern time against the St. Louis Blues.  I will let you know how they do. 

Are you a Dallas Cowboys fan?

I'm glad you are having a good time!!!

• Thanks 1

I can't understand why someone would want to take a non-service dog on a cruise. I love my dogs and I do miss them while I travel, but on a cruise I would spend all my time worrying about them and not enjoying myself. All the service dogs I have known are well trained, do not bark, and are very low key. And they don't wear tutus although one did have a rather neat looking formal coat for evenings.

Susan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bruinboy said:

Barking dogs and a missing soap dispenser! Are you sure you didn't board a Carnival ship by mistake? We all hope you are having a great time. Thanks for the pics and the reports.

Does the shower door not closing all the way make this more of a Carnival connection? 

20231223_193059.thumb.jpg.8faf3539e0c45921a205232132916e50.jpg

I debated on mentioning it, especially since they "fixed" the soap dispener, 😉 20231223_190547.thumb.jpg.30f4af8049fce7cf4bff172e1e33e675.jpg

20231223_190626.thumb.jpg.7a1695c00d19035ebe094a411fd8deb1.jpg

but in all fairness, it is part of the cruise experience. And if I wanted to mop floors, I'd join the crew or stay home.

I used the shower in the spa yesterday and today tried holding the door shut while showering, which by the water on the floor you can probably surmise was a fail, but have decided neither are sustainable over the next 14 days. So, after dinner guess who's making a pit stop to GS?

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, I've read that, too, on their website. Last cruise (Oct 26 - Dec 10) on NS, there was a small, barking, tutu wearing dog that I'm fairly certain was not a service dog. These are the first 2 cruises I've been on with dogs that I didn't believe met the qualifications to be onboard. 

I love and miss my dogs (cat, too), but they don't cruise with me because they aren't service animals and I believe in the value of service animals and wouldn't even consider trying to work the system. 

I have read cruiselines (and other business) are not allowed to ask for proof of medical necessity; they can only ask for the health and travel documents for animals. 

So, here we (collective we speaking for other fur parents whose "kids" are not with them) are - on a ship missing our dogs and hoping the ones down the hall decide to act better so this doesn't have to escalate...ugh.

I'm afraid I would be bringing this up with customer service, frankly I would escalate it to a meeting with the Hotel manager. I'm afraid I would also be knocking on the door of the offending cabin at random times day and night. I would also make a point of calling out the fact that pets are not acceptable in a dining room. It's just not on. It would by my mission to make the clueless pet owners feel like the knobs they are. I have extreme respect for actual service animals and welcome them everywhere. I don't buy the "emotional support" story line. If you need the "support" of your untrained critter then stay home. I respect you and all the other cruisers who love their pets but are aware that there is no place for them on a cruise ship.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Congratulations on the Dallas Stars win! They beat the Nashville Predators today 3-2! 🥂😊  Their next game will be on Wednesday, 12/27 @ 8 PM Eastern time against the St. Louis Blues.  I will let you know how they do. 

Are you a Dallas Cowboys fan?

I'm glad you are having a good time!!!

Thanks, @BetsyS. for the happy news re Stars! They've had a couple OT nailbiiters lately, so hearing they won is great. 

Yes, as hard as it is sometimes, I am a Cowboys fan. Games like last week do not make it easy.

• Like 4

Dallas Cowboys will be in Miami tomorrow at 4:25 PM Eastern time. I will let you know the score.  On Saturday, 12/30 they will play Detroit Lions at home at 8:15 PM Eastern time. I will keep you posted on that.

Have a good weekend! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Dallas Cowboys will be in Miami tomorrow at 4:25 PM Eastern time. I will let you know the score.  On Saturday, 12/30 they will play Detroit Lions at home at 8:15 PM Eastern time. I will keep you posted on that.

Have a good weekend! 😊

HAL ships have the NFL channel and a selection of games to watch while at sea.

• Like 4

We had a missing lotion dispenser on Koningsdam earlier this year; actually, the lid was still barely hanging there but no dispenser! I removed the lid. That was 6 months ago, so obviously these things are proving to be not up to the challenge of the use they get, and HAL is pretty slow to respond to this  need. We'll have to see who reports in the future of the "new" dispensers installed..hopefully something a little nicer than the "portable" one they gave you!😄

20230629_195803.jpg

• Like 3

Greetings, Haljo1935. I wandered over from my usual hangout on the Carnival board and am pleased to see you are enjoying a holiday cruise. The HAL San Diego/Hawaii itinerary is one I’ve daydreamed about since I did a number of HAL cruises some years ago. So sorry you endured a difficult journey to embarkation, especially after that stormy end to your Venezia cruise in September.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and happy holidays.

P.S. re the dogs, I wonder if the owners are related to an officer or high-level staff member, and that’s why the rules were relaxed.

• Like 3