Hawaiian Holiday 🎄🍾 LIVE from Koningsdam Dec 21-Jan 6: join me for my 1st solo cruise & 1st inside cabin!

Haljo1935

On 12/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

I've just caught up with your "travel travails"!  Wow, that was a nail biter!  I think you'll enjoy how much easier it is to sleep in an inside cabin.  It's especially good when you have a white noise app on your phone to play.  Cuts down on outside noise waking you up.  Hope you have a great cruise!

The inside cabin has been great in terms of ship noise - I'm over the theater, so really no noise after dinner (I have late seating) as we all know HAL doesn't jam out in the theater after dark, lol.

My only issue are the barking dogs a few cabins down and the missing soap dispener; one of which doesn't impact my ability to sleep, lol.

20231221_183507.thumb.jpg.a211457ef5b08785b2bcb61fdf71157a.jpg

• Like 11

21 hours ago, oakridger said:

I think @Haljo1935 may still be sleeping after her nasty flight ordeal!!  If so, she deserves all the sleep she can get!!  😁

~Nancy

20 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder too how she fared in the time between flight arrival and boarding.  I hope there was at least a place where she could relax.

Roy

Thanks for checking on me - phone died at an inconvenient time (is there ever really a good time?) then I had issues connecting. But I am finally here!

Boarding was ridiculous - San Diego needs to follow some other ports and figure out there IS a better way. The lines were already looooong when I got there; 1st time I ever played the Star Card and said "I'm not waiting" and "no, thank you, I'm not standing in any of those lines" - I showed my stars and kept on moving. So I was onboard about 10 minutes after they called for the first group. Of course, with a dead phone, I couldn't tell you. 😏

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bluecartakesacruise said:

We were on the Koningsdam last week and had a great time.  GF stayed on in San Diego for an extra week, because well you know how retired people are. Anyway she just messaged me that she heard you ships horn getting underway.  Have a great trip!

Since you have plenty of sea days you might want to check out the spa pass.  We're big fans.

Spa was my 2nd stop (after food) - I had that sticker on my card straight away!!17033598741949207242542926874618.thumb.jpg.633654df4e05a5abd63c68c4ffa7333b.jpg

Thanks for following along and leaving her in good condition - ship looks great!

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

The inside cabin has been great in terms of ship noise - I'm over the theater, so really no noise after dinner (I have late seating) as we all know HAL doesn't jam out in the theater after dark, lol.

My only issue are the barking dogs a few cabins down and the missing soap dispener; one of which doesn't impact my ability to sleep, lol.

20231221_183507.thumb.jpg.a211457ef5b08785b2bcb61fdf71157a.jpg

Barking dogs!? That has to be a first for a cruise complaint. Did you complain to anyone? Wouldn’t they be service dogs? If so you’d think they be much better behaved. 
i hope things quiet down for you.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

@Haljo1935  we might have to start a search party soon!  We are all just hoping you’ve caught up on sleep and enjoying the cruise now. 

4 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, I’m thinking it must be wifi issues too. Hopefully she’s enjoying herself.

4 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Nancy - I think it's possible that the internet is down.  Hopefully, it will be back up soon and we will hear some good news from Haljo1935. 

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

We haven't heard from @Haljo1935 since Thursday evening. That is very unlike her to not post for a whole 24 hours.  I hope she is feeling okay!  Is the internet down possibly??  

~Nancy

Thanks for the Welfare Check!! As you've likely read by now, I did make it onboard with a dead cell phone then no connectivity. So, no pictures or feedback of the boarding process. The message I had started did not save, but I will eventually recap.

Looks like I've now got a good connection, so I should be able to post as I usually do. YAY!!

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Barking dogs!? That has to be a first for a cruise complaint. Did you complain to anyone? Wouldn’t they be service dogs? If so you’d think they be much better behaved. 
i hope things quiet down for you.

No way they're service dogs - I have not encountered service dogs that bark when people simply pass by like these do. They bark apparently when the cabin steward or whomever visits the cabin (a lot of "sh, be quiet" coming from there). I'm no expert, but my experience is barking is not an alert service dogs do. I will stop there, but just ugh.

I'm hoping they just need a couple days to acclimate and will only say something if they don't. I would like to delete the other pictures I have, rather than using them, and get on with the festivities of this cruise!! 🥳

You may not be able to tell there are 2 dogs - one in red, the other in green. Maybe their holiday colors? That would be cute.

20231223_114244.jpg.2fcc75726f6b9da2354cf903dd18f00e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the updates! I'm happy to hear that your phone is working, but sorry to hear about the barking dogs.  You are very patient to wait a few days before saying anything about them. I hope they quiet down soon. Have a great trip!!!  😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, wildwinny said:

Have a wonderful cruise.  We did this itinerary last January and had a great trip.  If you go to the Crow's Nest bar please say hello to Kathy and Glen for us - Kathleen and Paul from Kansas City.  

Thanks so much for the wishes and for coming along. Happy Holidays!

• Like 3

On 12/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, Hogladyrider said:

@Haljo1935...glad you made it to San Diego...may your boarding go smoothly.

Looks like you are getting out of town on time, storm is due to blow thru on Friday!  Smooth seas and get some zzzzz'ssssss

Water's been a tad rough, but this morning is much smoother. A guy at lunch yesterday said their balcony door is locked due to rough seas. His wife has been confused thinking they had an OV cabin, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

On 12/21/2023 at 6:35 PM, DAllenTCY said:

Late departure today is due loading food and beverages.

Everything you can imagine had to be replenished....pallets of sugar, flour, bottled water, wine, watermelons, bananas, paper goods, ice cream, beers, etc.

The pier had over 100 left to load when I left to go home at 4:10 pm.

David

Hey David - sure hope strawberries 🍓 made it on and someone hands over the key soon - they have been mushy. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 5

Standing room only at Flower Arranging presentation; it's always popular so if you want to go, be sure to arrive early.👀20231223_121421.thumb.jpg.91e031d67882421976afc0bb9e065c6d.jpg20231223_121418.thumb.jpg.14f8103e294412fb5f61a068f751f88f.jpg Florist is so talented and funny 😏

Great tip - cut off the top green unopened growth above the top bloom of gladiolus to encourage blooming. Says the water is absorbed by the flowers so nothing left for the new growth causing it to starve. Nice tip!

Also, lilies are bad for people with allergies.

3rd tip, for drooping hydrangeas soak them upside for 5 hours then turn upright to refresh them. 👏

Edited by Haljo1935
Upload
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for checking on me - phone died at an inconvenient time (is there ever really a good time?) then I had issues connecting. But I am finally here!

Boarding was ridiculous - San Diego needs to follow some other ports and figure out there IS a better way. The lines were already looooong when I got there; 1st time I ever played the Star Card and said "I'm not waiting" and "no, thank you, I'm not standing in any of those lines" - I showed my stars and kept on moving. So I was onboard about 10 minutes after they called for the first group. Of course, with a dead phone, I couldn't tell you. 😏

Was there more than one ship in port? I read that it gets really congested if there is more than 1 ship in port.

• Like 2

@Haljo1935, so glad you made it on board safely!

Our minds were going to places of concern....☺

I have a question about the dogs; if they aren't service dogs why are they on the ship? Does HAL allow just any dog on board? Can you complain about the barking especially when people walk by them? I would be concerned about that.

I am relatively new to HAL so this is new territory for me.

Continued safe travels and have lots of fun! 🕶🌞🥂🌴

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1