Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

6 minutes ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

Sam, I don’t know either. I have an iPhone 15 but if the 110 plug is fine , we should be fine. 

Your 15 cord should be USB-C on both ends.  No problemo.

Posted (edited)

Here is a photo of what I’ve got.  On the left, my iPhone 15 cord, with same size plugs, and on the right my older iPad’s cord with two different size plugs.  Will the old one work?  Problem is, we have three older devices.  Exactly what part of this doesn’t work?  The cord or the charger, and why won’t it work.  And what about people who didn’t read Jim’s post and just go to the ship with whatever they have?  Sorry to be so dense.IMG_3373.thumb.jpeg.7461743be6be1b1c2c0e461ddeb18c84.jpeg

Edited by SantaFe1

33 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Here is a photo of what I’ve got.  On the left, my iPhone 15 cord, with same size plugs, and on the right my older iPad’s cord with two different size plugs.  Will the old one work?  Problem is, we have three older devices.  Exactly what part of this doesn’t work?  The cord or the charger, and why won’t it work.  And what about people who didn’t read Jim’s post and just go to the ship with whatever they have?  Sorry to be so dense.IMG_3373.thumb.jpeg.7461743be6be1b1c2c0e461ddeb18c84.jpeg

The attached photo shows the charging points in the rooms. With regards to the bedside sockets, from left to right they are as follows:

USB-A (fast charge), USB-A, US style socket, European style socket.

The cable on the left of your photo, along with it’s plug, will fit into the US style socket.

The cable on the right of your photo will fit directly into either of the USB-A sockets. The extreme left socket will charge quicker.

Hope this helps 

IMG_0610.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, shipboy said:

The attached photo shows the charging points in the rooms. With regards to the bedside sockets, from left to right they are as follows:

The cable on the left of your photo, along with it’s plug, will fit into the US style socket.

The cable on the right of your photo will fit directly into either of the USB-A sockets. The extreme left socket will charge quicker.

Hope this helps 

IMG_0610.jpeg

Thank you, thank you.  I believe I’ve got it now.  I thought we might have knock on the Chief Engineer’s door when we boarded the ship to get help.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

As co I understand it. The new one can be plugged directly to usb port or you can use the charger plug to the wall plug. The older one will plug into the wall only. 

Posted (edited)

As co I understand it. The new one iPhone 15 usb-c can be plugged directly to usb port or you can use the charger plug to the wall plug. The older one -usb-a will plug into the wall only.   Or do I have it backwards? 

Edited by TravelerTeacherRetired
Missing info

1 hour ago, shipboy said:

Hope this helps 

IMG_0610.jpeg

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Diagram of all the USB connectors 

image.thumb.jpeg.2d3fd449c32fbb6c1c4d2759b7b14a06.jpeg

Well this is super helpful!  Where did you find it?  Thanks for posting.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

Sam, I don’t know either. I have an iPhone 15 but if the 110 plug is fine , we should be fine. 

That’s the bottom line. You don’t really need to deal with USB-A or USB-C outlets on Viking if you don’t want to. You can just plug your phone in as you do now. 

Hotels overseas are another story. That’s where you might want to bone up on those USB options. And bring a country-friendly plug adapter. You can check with your hotel to see what kinds of USB outlets they have, if any.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

That’s the bottom line. You don’t really need to deal with USB-A or USB-C outlets on Viking if you don’t want to. You can just plug your phone in as you do now. 

Hotels overseas are another story. That’s where you might want to bone up on those USB options. And bring a country-friendly plug adapter. You can check with your hotel to see what kinds of USB outlets they have, if any.

You are right. I’m stopping the stressing over it. 

14 hours ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

Jim- so to be clear- there are usb-c ports to charge. Correct? 
I saw a picture from Asante Fe and it showed the A ports not c

Right you are.  The C ports were new to us on Neptune.  Other V ships we have sailed are as the pictures with A ports on the bedside.

As WineWineWine linked there are very cheap USB-A to USB-C adapters as well as USBC to USB-A adapters on Amazon.  Take up almost no space in a computer bag and you are covered for all options.  USB-C is the new one and is the standard demanded in Europe so Apple had to drop their proprietary Lightning connector.  Nothing simple these days.   Used to buy books at the used book store and watch tv with no remote.....😱

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Right you are.  The C ports were new to us on Neptune.  Other V ships we have sailed are as the pictures with A ports on the bedside.

The Expedition ships also have wireless charging areas on the nightstands. Do any Viking Ocean ships have this yet?

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The Expedition ships also have wireless charging areas on the nightstands. Do any Viking Ocean ships have this yet?

Oh wireless charging on Expedition ships? That's great. Solves all the fuss with wires, power bricks, ports, etc. Recently bought a small stand that charges my phone and ipods and have been considering brining it on the WC and possibly our Expedition great lakes trip. So much easier than constantly plugging and unplugging things. Wish my ipad had wireless charing.

23 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Only 10 for LCR today but Linda was still happy to head back to her stateroom with an extra $27!

Could be you tomorrow.  3:30 pool bar, bring 3 one dollar bills-no experience necessary😂

IMG_5344.jpeg

You have been away from the US long enough for US Currency to be thought of as monopoly money

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Not that I have seen.  As to wireless, only our iPhones would benefit.  All the other stuff still needs the tangle of wires...