Jeans on queen Vic

laticsmon

It's not ideal in my view, though strictly speaking it's only ripped jeans (and things like shorts) that are inappropriate. So they may indeed be frowned upon, but you won't be stopped from the Smart Attire venues. Note the laundries on board are free of charge and there are plenty of them, so you may be able to keep your luggage down and avoid jeans (which are pretty heavy relative to other clothing).

If you wear Jeans, you have the buffet and only certain venues to attend after 6pm. Try not to “skirt” the minimum dress code as Jeans are not considered Smart Attire. I like to think of dressing to match the classy decor of the ships. 

From the Cunard site:

Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theater on a special occasion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, laticsmon said:

We are on queen Vic next year from 28 June for two weeks on the non formal nights looking at wearing jeans dark blue ones not all nights but some will this been frowned on 

I speak as a jeans wearer as many on this board will have read about in the past and I wouldn't dream of wearing blue denim of any style where 'Smart Attire' is indicated. As I never see blue [of any hue] jeans in the restaurant on any evening, I have no idea if you'd be  refused entry to parts of the ship.

10 hours ago, NE John said:

If you wear Jeans, you have the buffet and only certain venues to attend after 6pm. Try not to “skirt” the minimum dress code as Jeans are not considered Smart Attire. I like to think of dressing to match the classy decor of the ships. 

From the Cunard site:

Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theater on a special occasion.

By whom are jeans not considered smart attire?  They certainly meet the dress code you've quoted, being trousers which many wear to stylish restaurants and theatres.

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

By whom are jeans not considered smart attire?  They certainly meet the dress code you've quoted, being trousers which many wear to stylish restaurants and theatres.

It does say in the Daily Programme that it's just ripped jeans that are not Smart Attire, and quite specifically that non ripped jeans are "appropriate". Clearly they are ok in places like the Lido, since that's outside the scope of Smart Attire anyway. But the question was whether it would be frowned upon, and I think the OP has their answer now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

But the question was whether it would be frowned upon

And the answer is - by some yes, by others no.

Having said that there is no way that personally I would wear jeans, of any description, to a smart (or any other) restaurant or the theatre if for no other reason than I don't own any and if I did I would not be taking them on holiday with me.

Edited by david63
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, laticsmon said:

We are on queen Vic next year from 28 June for two weeks on the non formal nights looking at wearing jeans dark blue ones not all nights but some will this been frowned on 

Not if being worn in one’s Stateroom and other areas where the following of a dress code after 6 pm is relaxed.

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Cunard doesn’t consider jeans Smart Attire after 6pm. Jeans ok during the day anywhere however. I know what you mean though. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren black jeans made of thin cotton material and they do look dressier than regular jeans but they’re still jeans and I wouldn’t wear them after 6. 
The Daily Programme describes what venues accept jeans after 6pm on SA nights. Why cruise on Cunard and limit oneself to the buffet and a few other venues? Yes, dress codes are falling everywhere but a vast majority of pax travel on Cunard to especially go above and beyond the stated dress code; it’s one of the few places left that have a dressier environment after 6pm on land or sea. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What is frustrating however is that the dress code is not enforced on a consistent basis. I was on the QM2 RT NY to Caribbean cruise that left NY on November 26. From our assigned table in the Britannia restaurant, on numerous evenings, we saw individuals wearing jeans walking into the Britannia Club restaurant. Additionally these jeans are not what many people would call “smart “. I could see that happening the first evening but this happened consistently.

Also there were numerous evenings where individuals attended shows in the Royal Court Theatre wearing shorts and tshirts.

These situations were not a high percentage of people but certainly was noticeable.

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Cunard doesn’t consider jeans Smart Attire after 6pm. Jeans ok during the day anywhere however. 

I don't think that's correct as far as Cunard is concerned, particularly if the jeans can be considered stylish. Cunarders of course may take a different view (and I'm no supporter of wearing jeans). The Daily Programme, on my current QM2 trip and my previous QV trip, had this statement which is very clear on the issue:

image.png.fb40efb8035b53f811a09e84388d11d3.png

Edited by Pushpit

We've had this discussion several times here. The wording is a bit ambiguous but the comments about non-ripped jeans follow on from and are about dressing casually in the Kings Court and other venues.

It doesn't contradict the previous paragraph which refers to trousers. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We've had this discussion several times here. The wording is a bit ambiguous but the comments about non-ripped jeans follow on from and are about dressing casually in the Kings Court and other venues.

It doesn't contradict the previous paragraph which refers to trousers. 

So you think it really does mean women can’t wear strappy t-shirts there? Surely not.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So you think it really does mean women can’t wear strappy t-shirts there? Surely not.

My comment was about jeans as that's the question being asked here.

I don't think it's talking about women in sleeveless t-shirts. 

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

My comment was about jeans as that's the question being asked here.

I don't think it's talking about women in sleeveless t-shirts. 

No quite, but I don’t think Cunard (or anyone else) should print notices that ignore women. A different issue I know, but it is genuinely hard at times to work out which sex parts of the dress code refer to.

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

No quite, but I don’t think Cunard (or anyone else) should print notices that ignore women. A different issue I know, but it is genuinely hard at times to work out which sex parts of the dress code refer to.

And it would only take a sentence or two more to provide total clarity in this space.  I actually wonder if that's deliberate, because in reality Cunard does not bar admission to venues due to wearing jeans or strappy t-shirts or much else, hence they prefer the ambiguity. But that's different to whether it's frowned upon or not.

• Like 1

but has anyone given the thought to the fact anyone, can wear anything these days? There has been a presumption in the past, who generally wears certain articles of clothing, and I am being ever so careful with my wording because in truth, in the big wide world, it's open season on who wants to wear what so in also being slightly careful, Cunard are hoping  a grain of historical common sense will prevail?

Gosh, who'd want to write rules and regs on who wears what these days!  It is so easy to upset the apple-cart. 😕

Edited by Victoria2
added a?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, NE John said:

All this lack of clarity puts unnecessary stress on the staff who have to enforce this word salad. 

And that lack of clarity, I would suggest, is why it is not enforced.  It would be perfectly justifiable to read what is on the website and the extract from the daily programme quoted above to mean that jeans are acceptable wear on smart attire nights, whatever individual posters might think.  That is how it reads to me.  I sense that the wording is ambiguous on purpose, perhaps so that the more traditionally minded and those who want a more relaxed experience can read into it what they wish and with a lack of enforcement either way meaning both groups can enjoy their cruise as they wish.

I have never understood the endless fascination some seem to have in what other people are wearing, so long as they are complying with basic standards of decency.  Whether someone is wearing jeans or a morning suit has zero impact on my enjoyment of my holiday.

There are regular dress code questions. This one is effectively; are smart jeans frowned upon on smart attire nights? Some are folk who want to avoid carrying certain clothing for one reason or another. And a variety of other variations on the theme.

I think "frowned upon" is a bit strong. It's debateable whether they comply with the dress code for all venues. But they are likely to stand out more from what the majority of other passengers are wearing.

What others wear makes no difference to us either, we'll still enjoy the event. It's a two week cooking free,  dressing up and dancing every night event for us. Since we're retired and living in a holiday region we are on holiday all the time. We come back from QM2 to relax, if our cats allow us to.

• Like 1

I totally agree that there cannot possibly be a connection between whatever others are wearing and how you feel, unless it is something so unwashed as to be smelly. Nonetheless, although I have no interest in clothes, I do find it an impressive and enjoyable experience to go into the restaurant and see everyone dressed up for a. Black and White Gala Night. The niceties of dress on informal nights are much less noticeable.

• Like 1