Westerdam and Oosterdam

hmatt

The Vista class ships (Noordam, Westerdam, Oosterdam and Zioderdam serve pizza from Lido as FlaMariner has stated.  On Nueiw Amsterdam and Eurodam (Signature Class) , NY Pizza is at Sea View Pool.  Pinnacle class has NY Pizza and Deli on Deck 10 overlooking the inside pool. 

The Pizza on Signature and Pinnacle class seems better to me. 

• Like 1

Pizza on the sister ship Westerdam was more flat bread than pizza - tasty, but not real pizza.

I suspect they don't have the high heat pizza ovens on the Vista ships to produce the pizza on finds on other HAL ships, So they have more of a baked pastry crust with pizza like toppings on it at a Lido station. 

• Like 1

The NY pizza on the other (Pinnacle/Signature) ships is much better than pizza in the Lido on Westy. Something about having it freshly made to order makes a difference. It's not very good in Westy Lido in our opinion. Try to get it when they first put it out. 

• Like 1

Westy pizza is terrible lido stuff, full stop. Bready and doughy.  Signature and Pinnacle class ships have New York Pizza, which ironically does not taste like a pizza from New York, but is far far better than the stuff from the lido on Vista class ships.

There was pizza in the Lido on the Oosterdam this past november for the transatlantic crossing. 

Hubs and I both agree that *it was not very good*.  (He considers himself a pizza expert having worked at a pizza place as a teen).  We did both like the pizza on the Koningsdam the year before.

YMMV

As much as I like pizza (although I am not a pizza expert), I try not to eat so much on ship.  Prefer other options.  Now hamburgers from Dive In.....are great.  I am a hamburger expert, so I can weigh in here.  BYW:  Hamburgers on a recent Celebrity sailing were horrible!  Never again.

• Like 1

I find the raves about the hamburgers at Dive-In Grill puzzling. I've tried them twice and each time that it was awful. Now the hotdogs on the other hand! I think they are Nathans. Is there some trick I should follow w/r/t the hamburgers? Like, perhaps, insist that they be freshly made and not languishing in a foil wrapper?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CNSJ said:

As much as I like pizza (although I am not a pizza expert), I try not to eat so much on ship.  Prefer other options.  Now hamburgers from Dive In.....are great.  I am a hamburger expert, so I can weigh in here.  BYW:  Hamburgers on a recent Celebrity sailing were horrible!  Never again.

The trick with X burgers is to order one with a turkey pattie instead of beef. The beef patties are usually cooked in bulk and then stacked on a tray until ordered. The turkey patties are cooked on request.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Petronillus said:

I find the raves about the hamburgers at Dive-In Grill puzzling. I've tried them twice and each time that it was awful. Now the hotdogs on the other hand! I think they are Nathans. Is there some trick I should follow w/r/t the hamburgers? Like, perhaps, insist that they be freshly made and not languishing in a foil wrapper?

You can have a burger made to order. You don't have to have exactly what is on the menu. Same with the dogs.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

The trick with X burgers is to order one with a turkey pattie instead of beef. The beef patties are usually cooked in bulk and then stacked on a tray until ordered. The turkey patties are cooked on request.

We do the same with pizza on Pinnacle ships. Have made to order so it's fresher. Also we ask for no salt on fries at fast food at home so we know they have to cook a fresh batch. But I digress....

• Like 1

NY Pizza is amazing!! I won't touch the pizza not made there! Dive In hot dogs are great, as are the French fries. Its the option to go to when you come back from late tour and the Loco is closed. I get the one with sauerkraut and bacon and add spicy mustard. YUM!

On 12/26/2023 at 7:56 PM, hmatt said:

Do these ships have pizza on board?

Thank you

Depends on what you call pizza :).  They do have some pizza at the lido buffet, but unless you have good timing you may find yourself getting dried out semi warm slices that have been sitting under a heat lamp for some time.  During our spring cruise on the Westerdam, that pizza was so bad that we seldom saw anyone indulging (which meant the pizza sat under a light for an even longer time).   We have experienced the NY Deli pizza on other ships, and it was always decent.

Agree that Dive-in (for the burgers and dogs) is quite good and we have also enjoyed the taco bar (near the pool) although that does get a little boring on a long cruise.  When we cruised in Asia, the taco bar was rotated (every other day) with a Ramen bar.  

Hank

Thanks everyone! Know what you mean talking about lido pizza, not very good at all in my opinion . Forgot about the taco bar we have enjoyed eating this when it’s fresh and busy. I like pizzas though, have been on a few ships that have pizza places in the back that you can have fixed the you want, really enjoy that. Everyone have a very Happy New Year 🎊🎆 

You get baked "pizza" on many HAL ships, that do not have the high temperature dedicated pizza ovens.

Baked pizza is more like what you can buy in the frozen food section, half off. Flavors and ingredients are there, but the high-fired yeast dough, cheese melt and ingredient combo Maillard is not.  

You can still call the stuff a warmish, bread snack identifying as a pizza; but it is not pizza.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My family likes the New York Pizza pizza, even though we are from Detroit. We are also big fans of the Dive-In burgers, I always order mine medium (so custom made). I do not recall anytime that I was disappointed. On the other hand, I am not such a fan of the deli sandwiches on the Koningsdam.

On the Koningsdam last fall, I do recall seeing some obviously pre-made Dive-In burgers sitting for easy pickup, I did not take any of those and custom ordered mine at the window, as always.

I find it interesting how so many people consider themselves "Pizza Experts" because of the pizza they like at home. Or the pizza joint they worked in during high school or whatever other criteria they think makes them "expert". I participated in making a Guinness Book world record largest pizza in 1977, does that make me a pizza "expert"? Not so much. It seems to me there are so many different styles of "Pizza" none of them really resemble Neapolitan Pizza. So rather than proclaim ones "expert" status; like everything in matters of food, the question is do you like it or not? There are and have been many pizza places in our town. Some are outstanding others mediocre, The best ones have faded into the sunset. So if the Pizza on the ship tastes good to you great, if not I guess don't eat it. One thing is for sure it will never be as good as your favourite Pizza Joint at home. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 11:56 AM, hmatt said:

Do these ships have pizza on board?

Thank you

We were on Oosterdam in September cruising the Mediterranean, home of the pizza, and I tried the Lido pizza and it was horrible. Like a biscuit base.

6 hours ago, Thundertime said:

We were on Oosterdam in September cruising the Mediterranean, home of the pizza, and I tried the Lido pizza and it was horrible. Like a biscuit base.

Without high heat pizza ovens on some of the older  ships, at best you do get a baked flat bread with pizza type toppings. Know before you go.

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Princess has the best pizza 🍕

Agree.  It goes back to when they acquired Sitmar, which had amazing pizza.  Princess simply kept up the standard.  MSC also has excellent pizza.

Hank

• Like 2