Door Decorations

SUESEABE

Are door decorations, hanging objects, magnets etc. allowed to be placed on outside of cabin door? I thought that they were prohibited as they would constitute a fire safety hazard. I tried to look on Holland America website but was unable to find any documentation on the subject. Does anyone know?

3 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

Are door decorations, hanging objects, magnets etc. allowed to be placed on outside of cabin door? I thought that they were prohibited as they would constitute a fire safety hazard. I tried to look on Holland America website but was unable to find any documentation on the subject. Does anyone know?

I have seen lots of door decorations on HAL ships.  On my birthday, our room stewards taped a Happy Birthday sign on our door.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh! There are so many threads on all of these boards on this topic!

Posters either love them or hate them.

People say they are either allowed or not allowed. They are either tacky and environmentally wrong or helpful to finding your cabin and pleasant to view.

I happen to love them and have used them for the past 20:years on many different lines, including HAL, and had no problems doing so!

Looks like "lots of door decorations" is common now. That's actually why I'm asking. I see pictures of lots of decorations here and on social media sites. I haven't cruised in a while and I don't recall seeing so many. Also, I thought it was prohibited but obviously it's not.

32 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

Curious: I wonder if those who think them tacky have the same feeling on Christmas decorations on the property of their neighbors back home ?

Depends on what the 'decorations' are. Those blow-up figures, that lay all over the lawns during the day, are tacky. 
I have yet to figure out what penguins have to do with Santa Claus, since there are no penguins at the North Pole. 

• Haha 9

17 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Depends on what the 'decorations' are. Those blow-up figures, that lay all over the lawns during the day, are tacky. 
I have yet to figure out what penguins have to do with Santa Claus, since there are no penguins at the North Pole. 

Reminds me of the joke on our Zaandam Antarctic cruise - speaker promised a new penguin joke a day, and he delivered. What are penguins called that you find in New York City?

***Lost. 

• Haha 3

As with most things give an inch and take a mile.  Starts off with just a few small decorations here and there and then of course some want to take it to a new level with bigger flashier etc and then it will evolve into sport teams then on to political or religious statements....The simplest thing is to just say no rather than having to sort through what is allowed and what is not.  Some people just prefer to walk down a hallway without being exposed to posters/signs/etc.  Cruise ships are a bit like condos...there are many rules and some of us don't like some of the rules but most of the rules are mandated because of the abuse of some.

• Like 4

Yes, temporary ones are allowed - peel the paint off (just a saying - the doors are painted) and you bought a real expensive memory...

Small sampling of the door decor on current cruise (K'dam).

20231223_223813.jpg

20231223_223829.jpg

20231223_223841.jpg

20231221_210916.jpg

20231221_210812.jpg

20231221_210816.jpg

20231221_210558.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

One of our neighbors had a 7-foot tall koala wearing a Santa hat and scarf.  Doubly funny because not only are there no koalas at the North Pole, but Christmas is in the summer here.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

I laugh every time someone says that they have door decorations so they can find their cabin. That’s what the numbers next to the door are for! 😆

My mother used to cruise before her dementia stopped that.  It was much easier for her to recognize a familiar picture than it was a four digit number that had no personal connection to her, so please consider that not all have excellent memories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Gunther1 said:

My mother used to cruise before her dementia stopped that.  It was much easier for her to recognize a familiar picture than it was a four digit number that had no personal connection to her, so please consider that not all have excellent memories.

Excellent point!

• Like 3

Mobility devices parked in the corridors (paths of exit travel) are a bigger fire hazard that door decorations.  Even if a door decoration was somehow ignited, it is highly unlikely to cause a conflagration.  Blocked exit paths, though, can cause a disaster.

I report them when I find them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

I laugh every time someone says that they have door decorations so they can find their cabin. That’s what the numbers next to the door are for! 😆

There was a woman on our cruise who had a door decoration to help her elderly mother, who has some cognitive issues, find their room. While there are numbers near all of the doors, some people do get lost. Something obvious and unique can help identify the cabin.

In our case, I wanted something Christmas-y, and with lights. It was attached using 3M Comand removable velcro. We had to remove the "gift" to get to switches for the lights. The velcro allowed that. The Comand strips remove without damaging the door surface.

It's the first time we've done a door decoration. If I had only realized that it would help identify the Ebenezer Scrooge, Grinch fan club...

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

It's the first time we've done a door decoration. If I had only realized that it would help identify the Ebenezer Scrooge, Grinch fan club...

Fair trade-off. Others  get to identify the.... It's All About Meeeee! Fan Club.

Take a look at some of the Carnival ships door decorations, if you want to see what happens when competition rears its ugly head.

• Like 1