Cruise as a business tax write off

tvo7

4 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

The very best way I can think of to trigger an IRS Audit is to claim a cruise vacation as a business expense.

But is is always fun to dream of getting something for nothing.

It is a deduction not a credit, it is not free.  It is a travel expense of one does business in the place one is traveling to. 

On 12/30/2023 at 10:36 AM, Mary229 said:

I am a bit belligerent about encouraging people to start a business 😉

I don't think there any disagreement about deducting legitimate business expenses. 

The OP's question just came from the wrong place. Not, "I want to start a business doing X,Y, and Z". They want to figure out how to deduct their cruising expenses off their taxes in the hopes that someday they cruise lines will give them free cruises. That isn't how paid social media influencers start. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don't think there any disagreement about deducting legitimate business expenses. 

The OP's question just came from the wrong place. Not, "I want to start a business doing X,Y, and Z". They want to figure out how to deduct their cruising expenses off their taxes in the hopes that someday they cruise lines will give them free cruises. That isn't how paid social media influencers start. 

Encouragement includes providing information.  Say Nay, nay is not encouraging.  Most people answering this thread have never owned a business and have no clue

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

The very best way I can think of to trigger an IRS Audit is to claim a cruise vacation as a business expense.

We got audited many years ago Bob actually taught the examiner something she didn't know.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Encouragement includes providing information.  Say Nay, nay is not encouraging.  Most people answering this thread have never owned a business and have no clue

That is an incredibly presumptuous remark.    Most people here have responded correctly to the OP's question.  No one is disputing IRS treatment of business expenses.   

Edited by ldubs

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That is an incredibly presumptuous remark.    

I don’t think so.  I read all of the answers.  Many talked about some guy in the office or other tells.  

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t think so.  I read all of the answers.  Many talked about some guy in the office or other tells.  

Sorry, I edited my response after you replied but I will say again, many people on this thread answered the OP's question correctly and are far from clueless. 

Do you disagree and say the OP would be able to write off current cruises as an expense against zero income in the hopes of getting free cruises in the future?   

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Sorry, I edited my response after you replied but I will say again, many people on this thread answered the OP's question correctly and are far from clueless. 

Do you disagree and say the OP would be able to write off current cruises as an expense against zero income in the hopes of getting free cruises in the future?   

The tone of most responses can be distilled down to “no way”.  There are plenty of ways, all legitimate.  Part of designing a business is understanding tax law and tax benefits.  For some that is far more important than It was for myself.  You can start a business tonight and if it is profitable enough to pass the IRS sniff test then yes you could get a tax deduction if you can make the case that it is a legitimate expense.  There is only one tax credit for those who make no money, I assume anyone knows that 

16 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The tone of most responses can be distilled down to “no way”.  There are plenty of ways, all legitimate.  Part of designing a business is understanding tax law and tax benefits.  For some that is far more important than It was for myself.  You can start a business tonight and if it is profitable enough to pass the IRS sniff test then yes you could get a tax deduction if you can make the case that it is a legitimate expense.  There is only one tax credit for those who make no money, I assume anyone knows that 

No one is disputing that.  But you avoid the question.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

No one is disputing that.  But you avoid the question.  

As stated it could be done if the OP gets snapping. If I start a business tonight to source materials, let’s say Caribbean crafts, to resell in the US.  I set up my contacts, visit them when on the cruise, purchase them, take delivery and sell them profitably then yes I could write off some of the costs of the trip. 

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

As stated it could be done if the OP gets snapping. If I start a business tonight to source materials, let’s say Caribbean crafts, to resell in the US.  I set up my contacts, visit them when on the cruise, purchase them, take delivery and sell them profitably then yes I could write off some of the costs of the trip. 

IF you generated income from activities necessarily linked to the production of that income you could deduct provable expenses from that income before you paid taxes on it. 

I really doubt that is what OP was driving at.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

IF you generated income from activities necessarily linked to the production of that income you could deduct provable expenses from that income before you paid taxes on it. 

I really doubt that is what OP was driving at.

They know what the OP asked.  Just dancing around the answer.     

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

That isn't remotely like the scenario the OP pitched in his first post. The OP doesn't even know how to generate an income from vlogging.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mom says said:

That isn't remotely like the scenario the OP pitched in his first post. The OP doesn't even know how to generate an income from vlogging.

I gave it as an example, for heavens sake.  Any business can be born quickly and profitably.  You make my point that most people on these board don’t really know how business operates or is created.  I created my 30 year business overnight, I created my first website on a bet while talking to a friend in the phone.  Each of my integrated businesses were profitable in the very first year and that is the simplest way to pass the IRS sniff test and deduct this travel expense on this year’s taxes 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mom says said:

Threads drift.  The OP's scenario was left far behind in this thread because it made no sense.  Nevertheless a lot of good information was shared and discussed.  Why is that a problem for you?

LOL, I wish I could write off my up coming Celebrity Edge cruise.  The Edge will begin it's first Alaska season this May (and we are so excited).  As some of you know I do check-in in Seattle, and I convinced my spouse to take one of the early in the season cruises to Alaska on the Edge.  My reasoning was that I could better help my passengers by being familiar with the ship so I could make suggestions, or answer general questions.  

Those of us that work at the terminal are not cruise line employees, but work for a third party contractor, so generally speaking, no employee travel perks for us.  During the course of a week, we could be assisting passengers sailing on any of the 5 different cruise lines that call Pier 91 their summer home.  

Anyway, I will enjoy sailing full fare on the Edge (as I did the Solstice a couple of years ago), and I will enjoy chatting with my embarking passengers during the Alaska season.  A tax write off would be great, but we will enjoy our Edge cruise even without it.  ;  )

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Those of us that work at the terminal are not cruise line employees, but work for a third party contractor, so generally speaking, no employee travel perks for us

People tried to explain that those working in the terminal don’t work for the cruise lines on that thread that got deleted about a complaint but that didn’t seem to get through. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

LOL, I wish I could write off my up coming Celebrity Edge cruise.  The Edge will begin it's first Alaska season this May (and we are so excited).  As some of you know I do check-in in Seattle, and I convinced my spouse to take one of the early in the season cruises to Alaska on the Edge.  My reasoning was that I could better help my passengers by being familiar with the ship so I could make suggestions, or answer general questions.  

Those of us that work at the terminal are not cruise line employees, but work for a third party contractor, so generally speaking, no employee travel perks for us.  During the course of a week, we could be assisting passengers sailing on any of the 5 different cruise lines that call Pier 91 their summer home.  

Anyway, I will enjoy sailing full fare on the Edge (as I did the Solstice a couple of years ago), and I will enjoy chatting with my embarking passengers during the Alaska season.  A tax write off would be great, but we will enjoy our Edge cruise even without it.  ;  )

Just make sure you bring the proper documents for check in, 😉

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just make sure you bring the proper documents for check in, 😉

LOL, thanks for the 'reminder' my friend!  We do travel with our passports, but since we live in Washington State, we also opted to have an Enhanced Driver's License. In addition, we were finally able to get a NEXUS interview early spring, so I might even have a NEXUS card in time for our cruise.  

So as travel documents go for closed loop cruises, we will be well covered.

Even though we will have various forms of accepted travel ID for a closed loop cruise, we will just use our passport books, because that is the easiest, most efficient document to use.  The check-in agent doesn't have to pause and and really examine the EDL (checking for the state that issued it, and looking for the word 'Enhanced')  or NEXUS card (a rare form of travel ID, so always some confusion), while trying to recall the correct way to enter the info.

Passports just make checking-in so much easier.  :  )

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Since you say your work involves 5 different cruise lines, are there any differences in how the different lines have you and your co-workers doing check in? Are some easier for the check in people and that makes it quicker for the passengers to go through the line? Conversely are some more difficult for you and the other check in people slowing the process for passengers to board? Are differences enough that you have to keep remembering which line your passengers are boarding that day?

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:00 AM, Mary229 said:

I gave it as an example, for heavens sake.  Any business can be born quickly and profitably.  You make my point that most people on these board don’t really know how business operates or is created.  I created my 30 year business overnight, I created my first website on a bet while talking to a friend in the phone.  Each of my integrated businesses were profitable in the very first year and that is the simplest way to pass the IRS sniff test and deduct this travel expense on this year’s taxes 

It's foolhardy to create a business without an idea, a business plan, or a funding plan. 90% of businesses fail in the first 3 years. And those that survive are typically not profitable for the first 3 years. That's a lot of money down the drain to potentially deduct a vacation expense. 

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

It's foolhardy to create a business without an idea, a business plan, or a funding plan. 90% of businesses fail in the first 3 years. And those that survive are typically not profitable for the first 3 years. That's a lot of money down the drain to potentially deduct a vacation expense. 

Perhaps but perhaps not.  Entrepreneurs tend to be a group that takes risks.  I  foolhardily started my business and foolishly added to it over the years.  Usually on a whim.  I own  a nice house in a premium neighborhood, have multiple cars, have  retirement funding and cruise as often as I want.  All income was derived from that foolish action.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Since you say your work involves 5 different cruise lines, are there any differences in how the different lines have you and your co-workers doing check in? Are some easier for the check in people and that makes it quicker for the passengers to go through the line? Conversely are some more difficult for you and the other check in people slowing the process for passengers to board? Are differences enough that you have to keep remembering which line your passengers are boarding that day?

During the down time caused by the pandemic, the cruise line took the time to update and improve their check-in systems.  What really makes the check-in experience flow smoothly is passengers who do their on line check-in completely, including their emergency contact phone number & having registered credit card on file.  We receive statistics every morning, so we know that anywhere from 92% to upwards of 98% of the days' passengers are arriving with their online check-in complete.  It make a huge difference.  And almost all those folks can be checked-in by staff using the hand held tablets which is very fast.

More and more passengers are travelling with passports, so that has improved the flow as well.  Sometimes a passengers who registered their passport during the online check-in decides to present their Enhanced DL instead (just to see if it 'works').  Yes, they can do that, but the system is expecting a passport, so there is a pause while the system handles the change.  Think of it as when you are driving using your car's navigation system, but you decide to turn on to a different road - the navigation system needs to reconfigure the new direction.

While I don't know this as fact, it does seem that most of the passengers who receive early arrival times are folks who have completed their online check-in, and most are using passports.  The agents using the tablets are humming along, and the agents at the counter who handle the problems are not busy.  So the cruise lines are able to get a large number of passengers thru the check-in process quickly, and those folks are the first group of passengers on the ship, usually by 11:30 am.

On the flip side, folks who are assigned later arrival times, have incomplete online check-in status, or have foreign passports that might a Canadian Visa, Green Cards, or some other issue that may cause them to have to be checked-in at the counter.  So the counter agents (using laptops) are busier in the afternoon.  Obliviously, all agents are busy throughout the day, especially as flights arrive, etc, but the passengers who need extra attention tend to arrive around noon or later in the afternoon.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

During the down time caused by the pandemic, the cruise line took the time to update and improve their check-in systems.  What really makes the check-in experience flow smoothly is passengers who do their on line check-in completely, including their emergency contact phone number & having registered credit card on file.  We receive statistics every morning, so we know that anywhere from 92% to upwards of 98% of the days' passengers are arriving with their online check-in complete.  It make a huge difference.  And almost all those folks can be checked-in by staff using the hand held tablets which is very fast.

More and more passengers are travelling with passports, so that has improved the flow as well.  Sometimes a passengers who registered their passport during the online check-in decides to present their Enhanced DL instead (just to see if it 'works').  Yes, they can do that, but the system is expecting a passport, so there is a pause while the system handles the change.  Think of it as when you are driving using your car's navigation system, but you decide to turn on to a different road - the navigation system needs to reconfigure the new direction.

While I don't know this as fact, it does seem that most of the passengers who receive early arrival times are folks who have completed their online check-in, and most are using passports.  The agents using the tablets are humming along, and the agents at the counter who handle the problems are not busy.  So the cruise lines are able to get a large number of passengers thru the check-in process quickly, and those folks are the first group of passengers on the ship, usually by 11:30 am.

On the flip side, folks who are assigned later arrival times, have incomplete online check-in status, or have foreign passports that might a Canadian Visa, Green Cards, or some other issue that may cause them to have to be checked-in at the counter.  So the counter agents (using laptops) are busier in the afternoon.  Obliviously, all agents are busy throughout the day, especially as flights arrive, etc, but the passengers who need extra attention tend to arrive around noon or later in the afternoon.

It sure is a lot smoother than the old days of fumbling through a stack of boarding documents.  

"Think of it as when you are driving using your car's navigation system, but you decide to turn on to a different road - the navigation system needs to reconfigure the new direction."

The GPS lady that lives in my dashboard hates me because of this.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

OK, here's another question. When we checked in in Southampton on NCL (one of the lines you do I assume), the agent retook the picture for both of us. How do you decide if the picture from the online check in needs to be retaken or not? And the online check in required glasses off (just like passport photos), but the check in agent in Southampton said when I asked about my glasses that I could keep them on.

Edited by ontheweb
changed a . to a ?