platinum tier benefit question

jbreitlow

11 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

You don’t get any less. They’re no different than any other meal with a dining package or if you pay to go to a specialty restaurant.

6 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Out of all the many times we’ve used them, it’s never been any different. No one anywhere has ever specified amount of courses you get with either the voucher or the package. It might say that in the T+C, but it’s not any different. It also says “4 items at Teppanyaki,” which is not the case. I don’t even think any specialty restaurants specify courses. They’re all the same, except Teppanyaki is standard (other than your entree choice) and FR is 4 items 🤷🏼‍♂️

well, when you first said this... that you don't get any less... i assumed you were talking about portion size. yes, that's true, the portions are the same regardless of whether you are paying through a FAS credit, a platinum voucher or buying a la carte.

i knew everybody else was talking about the number of items.

but now it appears, surprisingly,  that you are indeed talking about the number of items, as well.

and we're all very glad that you haven't come across this on your cruises and that the staff of each restaurant has bestowed kindness upon you and ignored NCL's terms. but a cursory search on cruise critic will deliver many recent threads in which this is discussed and in which many people say that the restaurant staff held firm to the terms. so, this is very much a case in which "YMMV," and for many of us, it has.

even in this thread, there are reports that they are now more strict at food republic about sharing. if you haven't come across limitations when redeeming platinum vouchers, there is a good chance that you will at some point. 

15 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

The T&C's specify 3 courses come with the Platinum dinners.

I think that all other flat-rate deals (FAS & other add-on packages) come with 4 courses.

In practice, both are 4 course meals. I have never been charged for the 4th course with a platinum voucher. We are Diamond and sail 6 times a year. 

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

even in this thread, there are reports that they are now more strict at food republic about sharing. if you haven't come across limitations when redeeming platinum vouchers, there is a good chance that you will at some point. 

I don’t think that the other poster is saying that there aren’t restrictions with the latitudes vouchers, just that the staff treat them and dining package meals the same.

I don’t push the boundaries when using either, so can’t speak from experience, but the impression which I have drawn from reading this forum lately is that the staff do seem to be treating them both the same.

On 12/29/2023 at 2:56 AM, KeithJenner said:

You can also just ask them not to open the wine, and take it away with you.

Many of us do that, as we have as much wine as we want with meals anyway, but a bottle in your cabin can be very handy for a lazy afternoon on your balcony.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I am getting 2 free dinners with my club balcony suite, plus another 2 for being a Platinum member. If this is true, when I book my 2 free dinners because of the free at sea, will there be a charge on my account for the 2 Platinum dinners when I book 125 days out? I guess my question is, will NCL know that my 3rd and 4th dinners are also free?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

I guess my question is, will NCL know that my 3rd and 4th dinners are also free?

Historically, no.  Book the flat-fee restaurants FIRST, otherwise the system will try to charge you.  The a-la-carte places can't be billed in advance.

• Like 1

DH and I are both Platinum. We are looking to book cruise with DD and SIL.

If I book one cabin in my name with daughter and book second cabin with DH and SIL, then each cabin would received Platinum vouchers for dinners,?   Wondering if this would work? Thx

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Can you use the Platinum dinner while dining with other people?  And could you share the wine with them as well?

The wine is yours to do with as you wish. Share it, or give it away, it’s up to you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phissy said:

If I book one cabin in my name with daughter and book second cabin with DH and SIL, then each cabin would received Platinum vouchers for dinners,?   Wondering if this would work? Thx

Yes, that would work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phissy said:

this would be an excellent way to do it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I am getting 2 free dinners with my club balcony suite, plus another 2 for being a Platinum member. If this is true, when I book my 2 free dinners because of the free at sea, will there be a charge on my account for the 2 Platinum dinners when I book 125 days out? I guess my question is, will NCL know that my 3rd and 4th dinners are also free?

The only places where there is a charge for reserving are Moderno and Teppanyaki (or whatever it’s called on the Prima class).

As you have two free at sea meals you don’t pay anything when reserving your first two meals, so book those ones first. Then book the a la carte places where there is no charge anyway.

The link in my signature is out of date, but the bit that covers this is still fairly accurate I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phissy said:

My DH and I did this on our last cruise. You'll just need to get your keys changed at guest relations after you get on the ship. We were staying in the Haven and the concierge took care of it for us so it was quite easily done. Not sure how difficult it will be at guest relations. It was definitely worth it!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pkay1 said:

My DH and I did this on our last cruise. You'll just need to get your keys changed at guest relations after you get on the ship. We were staying in the Haven and the concierge took care of it for us so it was quite easily done. Not sure how difficult it will be at guest relations. It was definitely worth it!

Thanks. We are  going with Haven bookings.glad it will work. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phissy said:

If I book one cabin in my name with daughter and book second cabin with DH and SIL

SIL is your husband's sister, not yours, right? 🙃

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

SIL is your husband's sister, not yours, right? 🙃

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant our daughter and son in law.

I think SIL can be used in this case.

(SIL-Sister In Law or Son In Law, MIL-Mother In Law, FIL-Father In Law, DIL-Daughter In Law
Edited by phissy

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, UKstages said:

and we're all very glad that you haven't come across this on your cruises and that the staff of each restaurant has bestowed kindness upon you and ignored NCL's terms. but a cursory search on cruise critic will deliver many recent threads in which this is discussed and in which many people say that the restaurant staff held firm to the terms. so, this is very much a case in which "YMMV," and for many of us, it has.

I don't care if people are glad or not. I was just stating my experience, and that up until this thread, I have never even heard of 3 vs 4 courses. Do you have an example? All the restaurants are typically app, entree + sides, dessert, sooooo. I mean, sure, I've gotten both the crab cake and the lobster bisque at Cagney's, so I guess that's maybe what you're referring to. Do they skip the miso soup or seaweed salad at Teppanyaki? I guess I'm just confused as to when someone would've not been able to get something with the voucher.

Also, the sharing at Food Republic comment was from me, which has nothing to do with the voucher or number of courses 🤷‍♂️

Edited by zackarykeef
typo

6 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

I was just stating my experience, and that up until this thread, I have never even heard of 3 vs 4 courses. Do you have an example?

There has been MUCH discussion in the past regarding the Platinum voucher vs. the FAS meals and how some servers use a blanket restriction of one app, one entree, one dessert for both free meals when previously only the Platinum coupon had this restriction.  FAS in the past has allowed one app, one soup/salad, one entree and one dessert.

Until recently there was a significant difference between dining package and latitudes.

The restrictions for the latitudes meal were posted on the website (basically one app, one entree, one dessert) and these were followed fairly consistently onboard.

The dining package didn’t have these restrictions online, other than a statement saying that you could only get one entree. Restrictions were fairly randomly applied, with staff apparently telling lots of people that they were restricted on numbers of apps, sides and desserts (although people were rarely, if ever actually charged for them).

Back in those days it could make a real difference which method you used to pay for your meal. For example, it was generally best to use a latitudes voucher if you went to Moderno as there were no restrictions there.

Recently NCL have clarified the situation regarding the dining package and the website now states the restrictions which I believe are being applied onboard.

If you study the wording between the latitudes and dining package details then I believe that there are some differences (which I assume is where the discussion about 3 or 4 courses is coming from). However, based on comments on this board, it seems as though the staff are actually treating both the same (which makes sense as they are so similar) so in most cases it doesn’t seem to matter which ones you use where.

• Like 1

Question??

I am currently Gold with 69 points. Have a 7 day Caribbean cruise on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 11-18, 2024. This will make me Platinum. 

I currently have a 21 day Panama Canal on the Encore, April 7-28, 2024. There are 3 SDP’s included with FAS. I have already booked these three. I’m assuming I need to wait until my status changes to Platinum, and shows up on the NCL website, before I book the additional 2 freebies that come with Platinum status. (That is of course, unless I want to be charged at the time of booking).

Any advice here?

@wncretired You can make your reservations for your two platinum dinners, as long as you’re not reserving one of the fixed charge restaurants (Teppanyaki or Moderno). These two restaurants always need to be reserved first or second in order to not be charged out of pocket. The reservation system doesn’t know that you have platinum dinners to cover the cost. 

31 minutes ago, wncretired said:

Question??

I am currently Gold with 69 points. Have a 7 day Caribbean cruise on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 11-18, 2024. This will make me Platinum. 

I currently have a 21 day Panama Canal on the Encore, April 7-28, 2024. There are 3 SDP’s included with FAS. I have already booked these three. I’m assuming I need to wait until my status changes to Platinum, and shows up on the NCL website, before I book the additional 2 freebies that come with Platinum status. (That is of course, unless I want to be charged at the time of booking).

Any advice here?

Anybody can book as many meals as they like, regardless of how they plan to pay for them, so you can make the required bookings any time after bookings open.

As mentioned above, you do need book any fixed price meals first so that you have dining credits available to avoid being charged when booking. This has nothing to do with how you what method you eventually use to pay for the meals though.

When you turn platinum absolutely nothing changed regarding the pre booking system. The latitudes meals never show up on that system.

• Like 1

I have always found that calling the NCL Platinum Concierge line makes the reservation process super easy and it's included with Platinum and above.  They can apply the vouchers however you would prefer: 866-625-6086

• Thanks 1