New smaller melting cakes?

12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I imagine those ramekins are hell to clean...

I worked as a dishwasher when I was a teenager and didn't like to see them come back into the kitchen, but as long as they got loaded onto the dishwasher rack correctly it was alright.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I worked as a dishwasher when I was a teenager and didn't like to see them come back into the kitchen, but as long as they got loaded onto the dishwasher rack correctly it was alright.

Yep.  Not harder than any other type of dish.

I am guessing mz-s doesn't do a lot of dishes. 😄

7 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I don't bake a lot 😉 it just seems that the baked-on cake would be hard to clean out but I guess it's no big deal for a good machine!

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I don't bake a lot 😉 it just seems that the baked-on cake would be hard to clean out but I guess it's no big deal for a good machine!

In my experience a lot of restaurant food breaks down ok in a good, hot machine because of all the oil and sugar in commercial food prep.  It also helped that the detergents 30 years ago where better, in my opinion. 

Still, it's a miserable job and anyone doing it has my respect.

21 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I tried one on the Vista in early December. It was in the normal ramekin, but tasted horrible. It was bitter, as if there was less sugar in it than usual.  

Actually, a chocolate fondant should taste a bit  “ bitter” and most certainly not too sugary as it is always made with dark fondant chocolate! 

17 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They were a hassle to load correctly and I had big, clumsy hands that didn't make it easier. One or two I didn't mind but if we had a special event in the ballroom and there were a couple hundred, egad.

17 hours ago, mz-s said:

Our big, commercial dishwasher cleaned anything and everything as long as it was loaded in the rack correctly. Higher pressure and temperature than a home machine. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 1:23 AM, jas1178 said:

New budget cut?  Wow they have gotten smaller!  Carnival Magic swapped sizes for this cruise.

IMG_7427.jpeg

I was on the Sunshine end of November/beginning of December and the cakes came out in different sizes and shapes of ramekins.  

• Like 1

New budget cut?  Wow they have gotten smaller!  Carnival Magic swapped sizes for this cruise.

IMG_7427.jpeg

I don't particularly like them, but the hubs likes them.  He never finishes one because he says its so rich he can't finish it.  I've heard other people say the same thing.  I see it as Carnival trying to  cut down on waste.  If one isn't enough, order two as others have stated.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:43 AM, fuddrules said:

On the Miracle now....small size, all cake, no melting goo.   

Disappointing for me but others may like it.   The other desserts are as good as always.   

I never really liked them because I always felt it was undercooked cake.  I might try them again if they are cooked more thoroughly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I never really liked them because I always felt it was undercooked cake.  I might try them again if they are cooked more thoroughly.

They basically are undercooked cake 🙂 if they are fully cooked they're no longer melting 😞 

• Like 2

IMG_7427.jpeg

On 1/4/2024 at 7:02 AM, starstruck05 said:

20240103_184644.thumb.jpg.8db2134ec86f85f5f728c7948c984aa6.jpg

Currently on Venezia and when they’ve been ordered they’ve come out in both of these sizes and I think the traditional size as well. 

On 1/4/2024 at 6:16 PM, Despegue said:

Actually, a chocolate fondant should taste a bit  “ bitter” and most certainly not too sugary as it is always made with dark fondant chocolate! 

Agree.  In general, less sugar is used in Europe than in the United States.  Canada seems to use even a bit more sugar than the United States.  The bagels and Indian food in Canada seemed very sweet.  Personal preference, of course, but I prefer things less sweet. Especially like the less sweet yogurt in Europe.  On the other hand, I don't care for the unsalted butter that is more commonly served there.

Post Cruise Update:

On Mardi Gras last week it seemed the MDR used the traditional dish and Cucina Del Capitano used the odd thinner oval shaped dish. We ate at Cucina 2 evenings. First evening the melting cake was a tad over cooked. Second evening it was a touch on the opposite end. Had a cake covering and didn't seem "warm". Both times I ate them in full and they were delicious regardless. MDR seemed dialed in with cooking each time. 

I noticed this trend with most dishes and especially drink glasses. Most restaurants/bars had their own style glassware. This is likely to keep track of where they belong in the very common occurrence of them ending up scattered about the ship.