Men's Appropriate Attire

REDSTRIPETYPE

21 minutes ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Should I bring a jacket or will dress shirts be enough?

Do a search on this Board and you will find numerous threads on dress code, and general expectations.  But the short answer is that you don't need a sport coat, but some men wear them in the specialties just to dress up a bit. You won't feel out of place either way. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Do a search on this Board and you will find numerous threads on dress code, and general expectations.  But the short answer is that you don't need a sport coat, but some men wear them in the specialties just to dress up a bit. You won't feel out of place either way. 

Perfect answer!!!

• Like 1

On both of my cruises with O, I've worn chinos and polo shirts and felt entirely comfortable and in keeping with the company's dress code. That fact O is relaxed about this, is the major reason why we like it as a cruise line. It's what I might generally wear to a land based restaurant similar to those onboard with O. 

Coming from a country which doesnt have country clubs, I've never been sure what "country club casual" means (nor were Americans I asked on a food forum I play on). But, certainly, I've not felt out of place in comparison with others

• Like 3

Next month I'm on Marina.  I asked my traveling companions yesterday evening if they were bringing a jacket.  They said they were bringing one for the specialties.  I may not, I lost 25+ pounds since the last time I wore one and after trying on what was in my closet, I think I'm going to pass this time.  I was swimming in them.    

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Harters said:

On both of my cruises with O, I've worn chinos and polo shirts and felt entirely comfortable and in keeping with the company's dress code. That fact O is relaxed about this, is the major reason why we like it as a cruise line. It's what I might generally wear to a land based restaurant similar to those onboard with O. 

Coming from a country which doesnt have country clubs, I've never been sure what "country club casual" means (nor were Americans I asked on a food forum I play on). But, certainly, I've not felt out of place in comparison with others

Do you mean a polo shirt you pull over your head with a collar with short sleeves? or a polo shirt you  button down front with a collar?

Edited by Acrusa

5 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

Do you mean a polo shirt you pull over your head with a collar with short sleeves? or a polo shirt you  button down front with a collar?

For me, the former. 

That's why we always take a table for 2 at dinner. No offence it's all good. 

By the way we see a lot of short sleeve polos in the GDR . Not so much in specialty restaurant.

• Thanks 1

I prefer a long sleeve button down shirt because if the restaurant is a bit cool, you might be more comfortable with sleeves. I can get multiple wearings out of a nicely pressed LS shirt and change it up by wearing a sweater vest another night or maybe a sweater if the restaurants have proven to be chillier than I remember. Consider the itinerary and the outside temperatures because that can impact the restaurants temperatures. It can also depend on the ship as on Vista on our Panama Canal trip, it was always cool in the public areas and occasionally in the Specialties. Everyone’s temperatures are different so do what makes you comfortable. 

Since we started sailing on Oceania over 15 years ago, I only brought along a sports coat once because we had been invited to dinner with an Oceania Executive while on the Vista Friends and Family cruise. No ties necessary but if that is what makes you feel properly dressed in a fine restaurant, by all means do “your” own thing. If my DW is dressed up, bling and all, there is no way she is going to let me accompany her in a golf shirt. Again, Happy Wife, Happy Life. 

Enjoy you cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On Vista now. Men in collared shirts with trousers is the norm. Many wear knits.  Some wear jeans. Few wear ties or jackets.  Women are mostly in pants and nice tops.  Some women wear dresses.  I did see a stunning couple last night. She wore a sequin gown. He wore a suit with a tie.  If dressy is your thing, do it. However, don’t be surprised if people look at you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, clo said:

I also. I've never seen one like the latter.

That depends on whether it's a Ralph Lauren brand or not. 

• Thanks 1

My husband did not bring a sport coat on our first O cruise in October; however, he always wore a long sleeved shirt to eat in the specialty restaurants because of the A/C. We ate outside at terrace 2 nights and I think he may have worn a short sleeve shirt eating outside.

I don’t know whether it was because it was Christmas, but people were a lot better dressed than on previous cruises.  My OH always takes a jacket for the speciality restaurants, lots of women in dresses (me included, though left the sequins at home!) and ladies in nice tops and tailored trousers.  No to jeans anywhere.

For us dressing up to eat in the evening makes it feel more like ‘going out’ for a meal.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

I don’t know whether it was because it was Christmas, but people were a lot better dressed than on previous cruises.  My OH always takes a jacket for the speciality restaurants, lots of women in dresses (me included, though left the sequins at home!) and ladies in nice tops and tailored trousers.  No to jeans anywhere.

For us dressing up to eat in the evening makes it feel more like ‘going out’ for a meal.  

I agree, although I love jeans, I wore dresses and skirts for Dinner. Always has had a sweater or wrap to "defend" against the A/C. My husband should own stock in Robert Graham. His shirts are often fancier than my outfits once sitting down. I tend to wear black tops with fancy skirts.

• Like 1

I always wear a jacket to the Specialties. They can be frigid, warm, or just right. It is classier to sit in a frigid restaurant in a sports jacket, than shivering without it. One can always slip it off if too warm. My wife always takes a sweater to the Specialties just in case. Some women take shaws. 

On our Marina cruise last Spring, we left the GDR one night because of the over production of the A/C unit. The wait staff was in their winter coats in the GDR. So unless you’re one of the tough Northlanders that wear your shorts and t-shirts into the Canadian winter forest lands, I advise taking a sports jacket for potential comfort , not because of any required dress code. Sometimes the Specialties are very comfortable, sometimes they can hang meat in them as if it’s a meat hangar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

That depends on whether it's a Ralph Lauren brand or not. 

Oh, no doubt. I have a long standing personal policy: don't fall in something before I know the price. RL IS beautiful.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, no doubt. I have a long standing personal policy: don't fall in something before I know the price. RL IS beautiful.

23 hours ago, clo said:

edit: don't fall in love....

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 11:09 AM, Harters said:

I was just asking my husband who is a Scott ... he says yea we don't have Country Clubs... I asked what do you have and he said a Member of a Golf Club...

Of course I next asked how would they dress if you were a member of a Golf Club ---- He replied "Country Club Casual"   or "Resort Casual"    I was having fun with this as often different words have such a big difference between English speaking countries.

Searching a UK Site found a good graphic - from what I read - men with or without jacket and with or without tie.    Now this is of course just a guide and I'm sure some will dress better and some more relaxed.

image.thumb.png.c054af1d91edab1e49cdf076239429bd.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was just asking my husband who is a Scott ... he says yea we don't have Country Clubs... I asked what do you have and he said a Member of a Golf Club...

Of course I next asked how would they dress if you were a member of a Golf Club ---- He replied "Country Club Casual"   or "Resort Casual"    I was having fun with this as often different words have such a big difference between English speaking countries.

Searching a UK Site found a good graphic - from what I read - men with or without jacket and with or without tie.    Now this is of course just a guide and I'm sure some will dress better and some more relaxed.

image.thumb.png.c054af1d91edab1e49cdf076239429bd.png

Both people on the left could take off their jackets and still be acceptable at every venue on the ship.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was having fun with this as often different words have such a big difference between English speaking countries.

I have similar fun. When I did this research for our first O cruise, I got a wide range of opinions from Americans on another forum about what their local country club had as a dress code. In the end, I decided to go with the fairly common British phrase "smart casual". By the by, a local Michelin starred restaurant defines this as " smart but informal but  no sports wear, ripped denim or shorts". The staff are usually the most formally dressed in the room.