Silver Wind Cancellations

AtlantaCruiser72

Silversea has sent out cancellation notices of all Silver Wind sailings from May 13th through through and including October 1st 2025.  Silversea has stated this is "due to unforeseen logistical and operational challenges".  Does anyone have any idea as to why she is actually being redeployed away from Iceland / Norway?  I have not seen any other redeployments away from this region.  Is this simply low sales in an oversaturated market, or is there some new regulation related to expedition cruising in Iceland/Norway they cannot comply with?

12 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Silversea has sent out cancellation notices of all Silver Wind sailings from May 13th through through and including October 1st 2025.  Silversea has stated this is "due to unforeseen logistical and operational challenges".  Does anyone have any idea as to why she is actually being redeployed away from Iceland / Norway?  I have not seen any other redeployments away from this region.  Is this simply low sales in an oversaturated market, or is there some new regulation related to expedition cruising in Iceland/Norway they cannot comply with?

Great question as to this surprising news.  We have been looking at and considering the Silver Wind for Antarctica in early 2025 on this ship.  The "rumors" for what it might be worth (or not), is that Silversea might be narrowing down its fleet and would be selling off the Silver Wind.  

Look forward to learning more.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

47 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great question as to this surprising news.  We have been looking at and considering the Silver Wind for Antarctica in early 2025 on this ship.  The "rumors" for what it might be worth (or not), is that Silversea might be narrowing down its fleet and would be selling off the Silver Wind.  

Look forward to learning more.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

While they have already stated the Cloud/Wind likely won’t be around at the turn of the decade, i would guess it’s the Cloud that will go first.  Also would expect replacement to be available.

On the Silversea website the Wind cruises show as Waitlisted (ie. cancelled) from May until November 2025 but then show as available starting in November 2025 for the entire Antarctica season. So, unless they haven't dealt with the cancellations that far out, the ship is not sold.

6 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Does anyone have any idea as to why she is actually being redeployed away from Iceland / Norway? 

Could it possibly be due to the current volcanic activity?

• Like 1

It is definitely due to the emissions issue. Back in October I reported on a Q&A session that Barbara Muckerman had on the Muse. I made this comment.

"Ships that may leave the fleet. Wind, Cloud and Whisper. New environmental regulations due in the next year or so. Will be hard for these 3 ships to comply but hopeful they will remain until 2030/32."

She did say those emission controls may be announced for May 2024.

9 hours ago, canderson said:

Wonder why Shadow wasn't in that list?

Me too, especially since Shadow is a year older than Whisper.  But Shadow got a major refurb in 2019 – maybe it included some environmental upgrades?  Or just enough sunk capital to keep it as long as possible.

That makes me wonder how much they will do to Whisper in her spring dry dock...

Other cruise lines have been able to give even older ships environmental upgrades to extend their useful life – but maybe Silversea has been told to save their money for more new ships.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Other cruise lines have been able to give even older ships environmental upgrades to extend their useful life – but maybe Silversea has been told to save their money for more new ships.

And don't forget, it's the bean counters at Royal Caribbean who are now in charge.

10 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

And don't forget, it's the bean counters at Royal Caribbean who are now in charge.

But they had enough beans to build five new ships in four years (plus win the bid for Crystal Endeavour, which takes Silversea's expedition cruising to an unmatched luxury level).   Independent Silversea didn't have resources like that, which is why the rest of the fleet is getting long in the tooth.  

So my point is that rather than keep the old ships going with baling wire and chewing gum, Silversea is clearly planning replacements for the three ships mentioned by Barbara Muckermann.  [Azamara would have been thrilled if the RCG bean counters had given them even 1/4 of those beans!]

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 7:51 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That makes me wonder how much they will do to Whisper in her spring dry dock...

Now you have me worried I am on the Whisper for about 30 days in the summer.  I was looking forward to a really buffed up ship. Sounds like they may go modest if it's on the block. On the other hand they may go higher end because this spring redo may have to last 7 years to 2030.  We'll see. I am going to miss the smaller ships.

The original Norwegian regulations would have banned any ship other than purely electric.  Not even an LNG ship would qualify.  

There has been a number of sessions on the regulations and I haven’t kept up to date on all of the changes over the years.  I’ve heard of temporary compromises for ships that can connect to shore power while in port but I haven’t researched that claim.  

Fully aware of the proposed regulations I am booked to do some of the fjords in 2024 on a less ideal cruise line but the itinerary is appealing.  If time wasn’t a factor I’d wait and do a preferred line but time isn’t on my side.   

There appears to be some awareness of the coming changes as itineraries on many lines are filling up.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing Silversea realized there was not enough demand for 2 ships doing Greenland. The new itineraries for the Silver Wind in summer 2025 are posted and open for booking. I've wanted to do an expedition cruise that did the Norway fjords because I have done Greenland and Iceland already and I plan to book one of the new cruises. 

• 2 months later...