Baltimore

Considering a cruise out of Baltimore this summer. I have a few questions. How far is it from BWI to the port? Would probably fly in the day before but fly home the afternoon we debark. Any hotels close to the cruise port? Anything to do around the port?

17 minutes ago, bowen9475 said:

How far is it from BWI to the port?

About 20 minutes without traffic. 

17 minutes ago, bowen9475 said:

Any hotels close to the cruise port? Anything to do around the port?

The cruise port is located in an industrial port area that is adjacent to downtown. Any hotel downtown would be a short Uber ride to the port. Personally I wouldn't stay right near the port-- Fells Point and the Inner Harbor are nicer areas to stay for a night and have access to dining/nightlife/etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have seen many recommendations for using Trinity Reservations for a hotel search. They list amenities, including restaurants, shuttles to the port, etc., and can make the booking when you find what you want.

Baltimore is a great port to sail from!

I've stayed at the Courtyard at McHenry Row, which is right by the port. It's a newer hotel, next to a grocery store and some restaurants.  I have stayed there before two cruises and would recommend it.

• Like 1

Its been many years since we sailed from Baltimore but we drove in from CT and stayed over night at a hotel that offered a sleep and park package I believe booked through trinity reservations, then took a cab to port. (before uber existed). I believe we stayed at the Sleep Inn? We got lucky and the Orioles were playing that day so we used the lightrail to go to a game. Was a great port to sail from. 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:01 AM, shipgeeks said:

I have seen many recommendations for using Trinity Reservations for a hotel search. They list amenities, including restaurants, shuttles to the port, etc., and can make the booking when you find what you want.

Baltimore is a great port to sail from!

Always be careful with 3rd party booking sites. Sometimes they can have great deals, but if you have a problem with your reservation, you will have to call them, rather than the hotel directly. My advice to family and friends is to always check on the hotel website too. Sometimes they incentivize you to book directly.

dctravel

• Like 1

Taxi/Uber to the port is pretty easy and quick.  I think at least a day’s visit at Baltimore’s Inner Harbor is quite worthwhile.  The area is walkable with benches for relaxing and snacking. Restaurants and accommodations are plentiful. Taxi or water taxi to Ft McHenry for a great American history lesson at an excellent, beautiful, well maintained national park. Cost is minimal.

The aquarium at the inner harbor is also a good take .  

The LightRail is an inexpensive and easy way to get from BWI to the InnerHarbor and Camden Yards area!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 9:20 AM, bowen9475 said:

Considering a cruise out of Baltimore this summer. I have a few questions. How far is it from BWI to the port? Would probably fly in the day before but fly home the afternoon we debark. Any hotels close to the cruise port? Anything to do around the port?

I always park at the BWI Airport Marriott.  Very reasonable and they shuttle you to and from the airport.  Go to Global airport parking.com and put in the airport and the dates.

DH and I are driving to Baltimore from South Carolina day before Embarkation.  I don't mind being an hour outside of Baltimore since we will be parking at the port.  Any suggestions on towns within an hour drive coming from SC that is safe and pretty would be a plus.  TIA!

15 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Any suggestions on towns within an hour drive coming from SC that is safe and pretty would be a plus. 

On the way, personally I would stop in Richmond Virginia for the night to break up the ride a bit. South Carolina to Baltimore is potentially an 8 hour drive so stopping in Richmond cuts that down and then the ride into Baltimore the next day is a leisurely little over 2 hour jaunt. In Richmond a favorite hotel is The Jefferson. 

To be an hour to the port you could stay in Washington DC proper or just outside. Without knowing a hotel budget its hard to make a DC recommandation but happy to do so if you respond with one. Alexandria VA is charming alternative to being right downtown. While it would involve a little bit of extra driving the first day, but put you only 30 min from the port,-- Annapolis is very charming and worth a look. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, princeton123211 said:

To be an hour to the port you could stay in Washington DC proper … While it would involve a little bit of extra driving the first day, but put you only 30 min from the port,-- Annapolis is very charming and worth a look. 

Seconded - Hilton Garden in the center of Annapolis would be about $100 - great town, worth getting there early enough to take a look around. Comparable rooms in/near DC likely to be a lot more

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, ninjacat123 said:

DH and I are driving to Baltimore from South Carolina day before Embarkation.  I don't mind being an hour outside of Baltimore since we will be parking at the port.  Any suggestions on towns within an hour drive coming from SC that is safe and pretty would be a plus.  TIA!

hopefully, you have a weekend embarkation.  If it's during the week, be mindful of the DC area traffic.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

hopefully, you have a weekend embarkation.  If it's during the week, be mindful of the DC area traffic.

Yes, we are driving on Saturday, August 31, spend the night then Embarkation on Sunday, Sept 1.

We have driven through DC traffic and you're right, it isn't pretty.  I'm hoping that staying in Annapolis (or south of Baltimore) will avoid that bad traffic and be cheaper and more safe.

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm hoping that staying in Annapolis (or south of Baltimore) will avoid that bad traffic and be cheaper and more safe.

You're not going to have much Beltway traffic on a Saturday into Sunday-- not something I would factor in given the days you are there. 

The benefit of DC is that it is on your way to Baltimore (vs Annapolis which really isn't). From a safety standpoint you are quite safe in the downtown core and government areas-- actually you are safer there with the plethora of Federal and local law enforcement overlapping each other than you are in most major cities right now. Weekends in DC tend to be fairly inexpensive so there are some deals to be had even at luxury hotels that can go for hundreds during the week. I wouldn't rule it out.

An alternative that is still on the way is Old Town Alexandria which is charming and doesn't feel like DC is immediately adjacent. Lots of nice places to stay (except I would avoid The Alexandrian on King Street-- its getting a bit run down last time I was there a few weeks ago). The Morrison House is a favorite and the Sheraton Suites is another option thats a little better priced.

Annapolis is great and highly recommended but keep in mind you are already on an 8+ hour drive that day and Annapolis is another 45 minute drive sort of out of the way beyond Alexandria/DC that you really don't have to do to find somewhere nice to stay the night. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 12:02 AM, princeton123211 said:

You're not going to have much Beltway traffic on a Saturday into Sunday-- not something I would factor in given the days you are there. 

The benefit of DC is that it is on your way to Baltimore (vs Annapolis which really isn't). From a safety standpoint you are quite safe in the downtown core and government areas-- actually you are safer there with the plethora of Federal and local law enforcement overlapping each other than you are in most major cities right now. Weekends in DC tend to be fairly inexpensive so there are some deals to be had even at luxury hotels that can go for hundreds during the week. I wouldn't rule it out.

An alternative that is still on the way is Old Town Alexandria which is charming and doesn't feel like DC is immediately adjacent. Lots of nice places to stay (except I would avoid The Alexandrian on King Street-- its getting a bit run down last time I was there a few weeks ago). The Morrison House is a favorite and the Sheraton Suites is another option thats a little better priced.

Annapolis is great and highly recommended but keep in mind you are already on an 8+ hour drive that day and Annapolis is another 45 minute drive sort of out of the way beyond Alexandria/DC that you really don't have to do to find somewhere nice to stay the night. 

Living here, that's not always true anymore. Almost anything can disrupt traffic here on any day of the week. On Saturday the 31st the Nationals host the Cubs at 4:05, for instance. Probably not a big deal if you stay on the Beltway to the Wilson Bridge, or spend the evening in Alexandria and hit the road earlier Sunday. But it could impact you if you're planning on driving across DC to the Parkway from about 2 hours before to 2 hours after the game. If you have an EZ Pass, the Express Lanes open northbound from Fredericksburg to DC at 4:00 pm on Saturday (unless they don't for the holiday weekend). Historically Saturday and Sunday on a holiday weekend have had lighter traffic, so that's a plus. And if you did stay in Alexandria  you can easily get there from the Express Lanes.

I do like the Annapolis idea. You'd be very close to Baltimore, and it's a very nice place to visit. But it is a detour from the direct route to Baltimore.

• Thanks 1