TSA pre check

ChrisB123

I've had it in the past as part of global entry, which I've let lapse.  I am on a test trip to see whether I'll be travelling much in the future.  If I decide I will I'll probably get it, but not global entry since IAC, I don't expect to do much, if any, international travel.

58 minutes ago, ChrisB123 said:

Is TSA pre check worth the time and cost? 

If you travel much, particularly from busy US airports, TSA precheck is well worth the effort and $. If your frequent travel includes international air, do Global Entry (which includes Precheck).

• Like 4

I've had it for a number of years when I was working and traveling frequently on business.  I found it well worth it in that context and also enjoyed the benefits with personal travel. I never thought the cost was too high given the amount of travel I did over the period it was in effect.  But as others have mentioned it really depends on you and the amount you intend to fly.  

And as mentioned as well it is part of Global Entry - which is more expensive - and would be an included benefit with that program.

2 minutes ago, ChrisB123 said:

We don't travel much out of the USA so global entry wouldn't be worth it. TSA precheck might if it shortens the time in line. 

It typically is a shorter, dedicated line which moves more quickly and doesn't require the same level of security check (no shoes off, wanding, etc.).  IMO it is well worth it, but again that is a personal choice.

• Like 2

To me, TSA PreCheck is worth it even if you don't fly much.

The separate security line is usually much shorter.

Not having to take off your shoes is a major plus.

Not having to remove your liquids from your carry on removes that annoying part.

Not having to remove your laptop from you carry on is fantastic.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

Is TSA pre check worth the time and cost? 

Yes.  For all the reasons below, although at times the line isn't shorter but almost always quicker,  and more than once it has saved us in Orlando and Las Vegas.  We have had it for 10 years now (renewing again in August...thanks for asking this question- it made me check; reminder added to calendar).

1 hour ago, auntmeg said:

Not having to remove your liquids from your carry on removes that annoying part.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

We don't travel much out of the USA so global entry wouldn't be worth it. TSA precheck might if it shortens the time in line. 

It would be “worth it” if you change your travel habits in the next several years and already have GE before Homeland Security suspends acceptance of new applications (which are at an all time high and unlikely to slow down).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auntmeg said:

I hate, hate, hate taking my shoes off at the airport. So TSA Precheck is worth it just for that no matter how little I fly.

• Like 2

We often travel with folks that don't have pre-check and they are usually done not too long after we are so it does save a little time, perhaps, but nothing too significant. For us the main benefit is not having to remove things from our person or our bags. 

• Like 1

For us - YES - anything that makes moving through security faster and easier.

We have TSA Pre-Check connected to our Nexus card in Canada, and now leaving Toronto airport, there is no removal of shoes, no removal of laptops, no removal of the liquids and gels, etc., etc., and with Nexus our lines are generally 2-3 minutes and we are done.

The calculation of “worth it” could also include the fact that many credit cards (usually premium or travel ones) offer a statement credit to reimburse the cost associated with global entry or TSA Precheck applications. Check if yours does, if not perhaps this added value would offset the annual fee. Some, (IIRC) like the United Explorer card waive the annual fee for the first year, so you could sign up, use the benefits and cancel the card if you don’t find the ongoing annual perks to be worth $99 in years 2,3,etc…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dobby36 said:

.....many credit cards (usually premium or travel ones) offer a statement credit to reimburse the cost associated with global entry or TSA Precheck applications. Check if yours does, if not perhaps this added value would offset the annual fee. Some, (IIRC) like the United Explorer card waive the annual fee for the first year...

In my experience, the TSA precheck approval was for five years, with the reapplication fee occurring then, not annually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In my experience, the TSA precheck approval was for five years, with the reapplication fee occurring then, not annually.

I may have mis-worded the sentence. I know the TSA Precheck fee is good for a longer period, the annual fee I was trying to reference was a credit card annual fee, for a card that includes a credit to cover TSAPrecheck fee.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

I may have mis-worded the sentence. I know the TSA Precheck fee is good for a longer period, the annual fee I was trying to reference was a credit card annual fee, for a card that includes a credit to cover TSAPrecheck fee.  

Got it.  Thanks.

Since I hate standing in line, I have Global Entry which includes TSA Pre-Check. So far, used for two trips and I was through TSA Pre-Check in less than five minutes. The plans to travel internationally have been scuttled because of Covid and Adult Caregiver, but at $20 per year, it's worth it. I was able to get it in September 2019, so it was easier back then to get it. 

TSA Pre-Check is easier to get than Global Entry, but the unused portion of TSA Pre-Check can't be applied to Global Entry. 

We don't travel enough to want to bother with anything other than the pre check unfortunately. I just discovered that AAA has pop up interviews for the pre check at some of the local offices. One is less than 4 miles from where we live. 😁 How far in advance can you do the paperwork before the interview? It doesn't say on line. Thanks for all your answers.