Daily internet prices to increase!

dweeb

Sitting here feeling a little ticked but mainly just sad. I think our days of “big cruises” is quickly coming to a “big end”. Only just got back to cruising like we used to before Covid by doing 38 days in the Mediterranean and now preparing for a 43 day Australia to Vancouver via Japan.

We don’t do short cruises. I’ve been seeing this sort of thing to justify the cost of the packages for awhile now. The elimination of Captains Circle OBC, elimination of coffee card swap from mini bar and elimination of free package of internet minutes has taken its toll on us. Internet was $5, then $7.50 and now $12.50. We are in the tempted to go without it category but with 80 and 90 year old parents still living on their own and young grandkids who are nice to be able to video chat with and a small business at home that “almost” runs itself, we feel we need internet. Have been sharing one single device plan between two of us to date but see no other options going forward. A 7 or 10 day cruise… maybe … but 43 days x $12.50 x 1.35% ($CAD $US Exchange) means we are probably done. I would have reluctantly pre purchased internet for 43 days but can’t even figure out where to do that now. But it doesn’t matter, reading the comments, it’s too late now. 

Frustrating since we did a big push years ago to get to Platinum for the free internet which is what pretty much locked us in with Princess. Now we are at 46 cruises and 481 days. Having more than tripled the requirement to make Elite maybe they could have thrown us a bone and made Elite internet a 75% discount (Platinum a 50% discount)? And just imagine if they would break down and create a higher loyalty group.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AE_Collector said:

Sitting here feeling a little ticked but mainly just sad. I think our days of “big cruises” is quickly coming to a “big end”.

Internet was $5, then $7.50 and now $12.50. We are in the tempted to go without it category but with 80 and 90 year old parents still living on their own and young grandkids who are nice to be able to video chat with and a small business at home that “almost” runs itself, we feel we need internet. Have been sharing one single device plan between two of us to date but see no other options going forward

So this is the straw that broke the camels back ? I'm not sure why. At 6.25 a day, as you share a single plan, it isn't much of a burden especially as Starlink is supposed to be much better then before. Everything has gone way up but at least this is a better product. I can't say the same for my AC flights, gratuities, pre-cruise hotels and on and on.

All cruise costs have  exploded but the 60% jump here is huge so I get your annoyance.

Guest Snaxmuppet
On 1/22/2024 at 4:28 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I have a mental list of needs for a cruise that I should probably formalize into a pyramid chart like Maslow did.

The solid base for me is a standard booking on a ship with a real promenade.  After my base is established, I consider the price points for the extras and if they make sense for me, I'll consider them.  I can scratch off most of the extras without much thought - spa treatments of any kind, the Sanctuary, art auctions, bingo, etc.

WiFi is a nice to have, unless it's priced out of what I will consider a good value.  I got by without WiFi for years on cruise ships and can do so again without causing me any angst.

It's any business's job to offer their goods and services at whatever cost the market will bear. If the market won't bear a high price, the business will have to lower their price.  It's the law of supply and demand and consumers set the demand.

Crickey! I just look at the cruise and if I want to go I book it... always with Premier Package. Job done 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Crickey! I just look at the cruise and if I want to go I book it... always with Premier Package. Job done 🙂 

But how would you react if the Premium package went up 67% with very little notice? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
57 minutes ago, Potstech said:

But how would you react if the Premium package went up 67% with very little notice? 

Well it pretty much has done... well, 40% at least with the new package pricing.

In my opinion, given the individual pricing of everything individually in the packages I thought they were a bit under priced but not now. I think they are about right. If they went up 67% from now... well, I wouldn't spend long working out whether to get the cruise... I'd probably take a land-based holiday instead. I am not wedded to the idea of cruising like a lot of regular cruisers are. I won't cruise at any price but right now the pricing is OK... just. Whether it remains so remains to be seen. We don't have a cruise booked past April this year and I am not booking immediately either as I think we might go land-based for a while after this.

15 hours ago, AE_Collector said:

Sitting here feeling a little ticked but mainly just sad. I think our days of “big cruises” is quickly coming to a “big end”. Only just got back to cruising like we used to before Covid by doing 38 days in the Mediterranean and now preparing for a 43 day Australia to Vancouver via Japan.

We don’t do short cruises. I’ve been seeing this sort of thing to justify the cost of the packages for awhile now. The elimination of Captains Circle OBC, elimination of coffee card swap from mini bar and elimination of free package of internet minutes has taken its toll on us. Internet was $5, then $7.50 and now $12.50. We are in the tempted to go without it category but with 80 and 90 year old parents still living on their own and young grandkids who are nice to be able to video chat with and a small business at home that “almost” runs itself, we feel we need internet. Have been sharing one single device plan between two of us to date but see no other options going forward. A 7 or 10 day cruise… maybe … but 43 days x $12.50 x 1.35% ($CAD $US Exchange) means we are probably done. I would have reluctantly pre purchased internet for 43 days but can’t even figure out where to do that now. But it doesn’t matter, reading the comments, it’s too late now. 

Frustrating since we did a big push years ago to get to Platinum for the free internet which is what pretty much locked us in with Princess. Now we are at 46 cruises and 481 days. Having more than tripled the requirement to make Elite maybe they could have thrown us a bone and made Elite internet a 75% discount (Platinum a 50% discount)? And just imagine if they would break down and create a higher loyalty group.

I'm reminded of the story of a frog in a pan of cold water.  Put the pan on the stove and turn on the heat and the frog will just sit there until he's boiled alive since the temperature rise is so gradual.

Don't know if it's a scientific fact, but Princess seems to be turning up the heat and they expect we'll just sit here and take it.

The nice thing about a capitalistic free market economy is that we can decide how best to spend our money on the choices we make.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 3

I have the Plus package on my upcoming cruise, which gives me wi-fi for 1 device.  I plan to purchase the MedallionNet package for 4 devices.  Will I then have access to wi-fi on 5 devices, or am I capped at 4 devices.  I plan to share with my travel companions.

19 minutes ago, MoreyCreek said:

I have the Plus package on my upcoming cruise, which gives me wi-fi for 1 device.  I plan to purchase the MedallionNet package for 4 devices.  Will I then have access to wi-fi on 5 devices, or am I capped at 4 devices.  I plan to share with my travel companions.

You would pay to upgrade to a 4 device plan. So you would have 4 devices. But talk to guest services if you want to add more. 

33 minutes ago, MoreyCreek said:

If you are booked double occupancy, you will get two devices automatically and you can switch back and forth between devices.  You are able to upgrade for just one person to the 4 devices, which yes, will give you 5 devices for a double occupancy cabin.  Or, for a solo occupancy cabin, you will get 4 devices.  They really don’t care if you share your plan with others.  And, the plan is prorated, so if you find you don’t need all those devices until day 3 or 4, maybe day 17 or 18, you won’t be charged for the whole cruise.  You can upgrade using your app. 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm reminded of the story of a frog in a pan of cold water.  Put the pan on the stove and turn on the heat and the frog will just sit there until he's boiled alive since the temperature rise is so gradual.

Don't know if it's a scientific fact, but Princess seems to be turning up the heat and they expect we'll just sit here and take it.

The nice thing about a capitalistic free market economy is that we can decide how best to spend our money on the choices we make.

I’ve been toad that boiled frog is quite tasty…

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Until the packages are unaffordable to me, I will continue to purchase it and all the cruises that go with it.  I like having wine with my meals, WiFi, gratuities paid, casual and specialty dining, room service, etc.  I don’t have any false illusions that the price of the packages won’t increase.  It will be what it is.  Prices in the SF Bay Area have skyrocketed, too.  I don’t see many people blaming the legislation that has caused that.  When cruises are no longer within our budget with our discretionary funds, we will just book any more cruises.  Good thing we both like my cooking.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richstowe said:

So this is the straw that broke the camels back ? I'm not sure why. At 6.25 a day, as you share a single plan, it isn't much of a burden especially as Starlink is supposed to be much better then before. Everything has gone way up but at least this is a better product. I can't say the same for my AC flights, gratuities, pre-cruise hotels and on and on.

All cruise costs have  exploded but the 60% jump here is huge so I get your annoyance.

I’m feeling as though it is. A Long time coming with the other changes so far and we’ve gone from Oceanview cabins (rarely balcony but occasionally) to inside cabins in order to keep doing what we see as long cruises on a fairly low retired budget. It won’t be “the end” of cruising but may well be the end of the longer B2B2B cruises. We don’t cruise to vacation but to see the world and have made a point of going to many new locations over the years. 

• Like 2

One thing I will say is that I hear many comments about how much the basic cruise cost has increased but I haven’t seen that on the cruises we look at. Considering all the talk of bookings setting new records I am surprised that we’re still finding deals on the actual cruise. But perks being eliminated and increases to add on prices while cruising has definitely taking a toll. But I prefer it this way as anything we can live without can be cut out while we still continue to be able to cruise.

I would imaging a gratuity increase will be next as other lines have been increasing rates. We’ve never adjusted or removed that as they work very hard for low pay but learning that their pay stub doesn’t include a “gratuities” amount every payday has made me wonder about this whole system a bit more, especially as our next cruise is Sydney to Tokyo where large numbers of passengers will be opting out.

• Like 2

It's all a revenue raise (bleeding obvious). With competition due to increased number of ships, cruise lines look for the add ons like WiFi, excursions etc to make their money. I read that the add ons comprise around 40% of their revenue. With bookings at plus 100% of capacity, cruise lines know they can get away with increases to add ons. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 9:01 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

The last time I called them, two weeks ago, the rep tried to talk me into upgrading to premium at a cost of $2,240.00 for fourteen days. I told him three times it makes no sense because we are non-drinkers, but he just kept reading the script. I will do almost anything to avoid calling again!  I just used the app and paid full price. 

Edited to add:  I really appreciate all of the good info that is shared on Cruise Critic, thank you all. 

We were actually on the Ruby on a back to back last year and the first package price changes came on the second leg.  I happened to find a pamphlet instructing employees on what to say to sell the new package, even when you say no to something.  They have access to what you were offered and then how to get you to buy.  I decided then that we would never buy a package or it will never stop and that's what I see.  I guess with the big settlement after illegal dumpling Carnival corp needs to make us pay their settlement!  I like Princess but it is getting ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 10:07 AM, Potstech said:

Oh, dont think for a minute that once they've got everyone, or almost everyone, bamboozled into the Premium package that they won't start cranking that up. We don't drink a whole lot, maybe a couple drinks a day for each of us, so they can up the prices of those packages all they like. I bring two bottles of wine on, pre-purchase a pint of whiskey to be delivered to the room and then purchase anything else I want when I buy it. Our largest expenditure on board is probably specialty coffees. Which is a sore point for me since they removed the coffee cards - another move to get people to buy into one of the packages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, blyle said:

I guess with the big settlement after illegal dumpling Carnival corp needs to make us pay their settlement!  I like Princess but it is getting ridiculous.

The Illegal dumping settlement was nothing compared to the debt run up during the Covid shutdown, Carnival Corp debt is almost unsustainable without some serious profit paying it down somewhat over the next few years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carnabombers said:

It's all a revenue raise (bleeding obvious). With competition due to increased number of ships, cruise lines look for the add ons like WiFi, excursions etc to make their money. I read that the add ons comprise around 40% of their revenue. With bookings at plus 100% of capacity, cruise lines know they can get away with increases to add ons. 

Economics 101, charge what the traffic will bear.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

Carnival Corp debt is almost unsustainable without some serious profit paying it down somewhat over the next few years. 

Carnival Corp is doing fine paying down their debt.  Here's an article that shows they are ahead of forecasts on paying it down.  It is still a large amount, but it is manageable.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-reports-record-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-revenues-with-continued-strong-bookings-and-earnings-momentum-302020638.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dweeb said:

Carnival Corp is doing fine paying down their debt.  Here's an article that shows they are ahead of forecasts on paying it down.  It is still a large amount, but it is manageable.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-reports-record-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-revenues-with-continued-strong-bookings-and-earnings-momentum-302020638.html

The last article I read about a month ago showed carnival debt hasn’t even finished growing yet alone started to be paid down.

4 hours ago, AE_Collector said:

The last article I read about a month ago showed carnival debt hasn’t even finished growing yet alone started to be paid down.

Yes that's because of the new ships. That size company should have debt. Somewhere between 30 and 40% of total assets. That is very normal and sustainable. Also implies growth. Providing the debt is applied to asset procurement or build. There would certainly be a large debt due to covid that needs to be paid down. That debt was not productive. 

Does anyone know what the price is to purchase the MedallionNet (1-device per day) AFTER boarding a ship after this price increase? Can it still be purchased on a per-day basis using OBC?

Thanks in advance...

On 1/18/2024 at 6:30 PM, Jadn13 said:

My loyalty level is never correct which keeps me from getting the discount through the App. 

Mine wouldn't update to my new level on booking summaries or when ordering my medallion through the app when I moved to a new level after already having several other cruises booked. A little frustrating especially as it meant I would get the wrong color medallion but there are bigger problems in the world so I just dealt with it.

I needed help with something else entirely so I got on chat and the rep thanked me for my loyalty and referenced my old level. I mentioned that I'm Elite now, not Platinum which I'm excited about because my upcoming cruise is my first at Platinum and the rep apologized and then fixed it for me. My new level updated on all my booking summaries AND when I went to order my medallion for my next cruise. It did take about an hour of waiting for chat though. And you have to respond every 5 minutes to tell them you're still waiting. It was a little annoying but I got my original issue fixed an the loyalty level too. Worth it. 🙂

• Like 1