Are all cabin walls made with metal?

goingsailing

Specifically the Emerald Princess minisuite's walls?  I would like to bring magnetic hooks to put stuff up and out of the way.  We will have 2 kids in this cabin with us, and will probably need the storage area. 

All walls (bulkheads) on modern cruise ships are made with metal.  Whether everything is magenetic is for others to decide as DW and I have never been into sticking things on the walls (in about 50 years of cruising).  

Hank

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

All walls (bulkheads) on modern cruise ships are made with metal.  Whether everything is magenetic is for others to decide as DW and I have never been into sticking things on the walls (in about 50 years of cruising).  

Hank

But I'm betting you weren't traveling with two kids 🙂

4 hours ago, goingsailing said:

Specifically the Emerald Princess minisuite's walls?  I would like to bring magnetic hooks to put stuff up and out of the way.  We will have 2 kids in this cabin with us, and will probably need the storage area. 

Hello @goingsailing and welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! I see it has been a while since you have posted on the boards.

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line ship and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your new thread to the Princess Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed on Emerald Princess frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic again! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

4 hours ago, clo said:

But I'm betting you weren't traveling with two kids 🙂

LOL, only one, and that was a few years ago :).  But we still did not stick things on cabin walls, decorate doors, etc.  When DW retired as an elementary teacher she said, "I have decorated my last door and bulletin board!"

Hnak

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, only one, and that was a few years ago :).  But we still did not stick things on cabin walls, decorate doors, etc.  When DW retired as an elementary teacher she said, "I have decorated my last door and bulletin board!"

Hnak

Huge difference between "decorating" and finding places to put all the gear that a family of four comes up with.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Hank, they are just magnets.  The kind you can put on your fridge, or something metal.  They won't harm the ships interior at all but provide a little more storage space.  Again thank you.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, goingsailing said:

Thanks for the replies. Hank, they are just magnets.  The kind you can put on your fridge, or something metal.  They won't harm the ships interior at all but provide a little more storage space.  Again thank you.

I get it.  Somehow, we manage, even when on ships for months at a time.  Even after spending years on cruise ships, DW has never brought along magnets.  Our next longer cruise is on the Oceania Vista where we have heard cabin storage is at a premium.  Perhaps we need to change our attitude.

Hank

5 hours ago, goingsailing said:

so to actually try to answer your question, I haven't sailed on the Emerald but have on other ships in that class...the walls between your room & the next should hold magnets well (sometimes the ones between the closet & the room don't so well)...you will want strong magnets to hold things like clothes or bags (I like at least 80# ones as that is what they will hold if hanging from a ceiling straight down, form a wall it is less)...I love having magnets both for decorating & for storing stuff.

I use magnet hooks all the time to hang stuff. Believe they are something like 20 lb ones. I bought them years ago on Amazon. I store them in my suitcase so I don't forget them. The walls are steel. I also have plastic spring clips, given out as prizes on Princess cruises years ago with a magnet on the back. They don't hold much weight, but I use them to hold paper notes and also use them as clothes pins to attach things like a wet bathing suit to the balcony chair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I use magnet hooks all the time to hang stuff. Believe they are something like 20 lb ones. I bought them years ago on Amazon. I store them in my suitcase so I don't forget them. The walls are steel. I also have plastic spring clips, given out as prizes on Princess cruises years ago with a magnet on the back. They don't hold much weight, but I use them to hold paper notes and also use them as clothes pins to attach things like a wet bathing suit to the balcony chair. 

We bring about 20 with us. I would recommend to anyone that hasn’t purchased them yet to avoid the ones that only hold 5 pounds.  I think our second set is rated for 10 pounds.  Even then, we double up for heavier items.  

We haven’t traveled with kids in years but still find them useful.  Umbrellas, hats, medallions, binoculars all hang on hooks until we need them.  Out of the way but in sight so we don’t forget them.

If you watch a video on how ships are built, each cabin is a metal module that is slid into place. I haven’t seen an outside wall that isn’t steel, and therefor holds a magnet. The only wall I’m not sure of is the one separating the closet from the “bedroom”. We just use the wall opposite the bed.

Yes, the Emerald has metal walls that will hold a magnet.  The only ship I’ve been on where the magnets wouldn’t stick was on the Diamond.  I went to put up my magnetic clip and it just slid right down to the floor.  

Thank you travelin.sisters, Skynight, BamVol, and Cruise Raider for your help!  Just ordered some hook magnets from Amazon to help uncluttered our Emerald Princess cabin!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, goingsailing said:

Thank you travelin.sisters, Skynight, BamVol, and Cruise Raider for your help!  Just ordered some hook magnets from Amazon to help uncluttered our Emerald Princess cabin!

Just make sure you get some strong ones.  25lb does not mean they will hold up to 25 lbs .. they won’t hold up a purse with anything inside it.  they will hold your masks or help open a safe’s door if it’s one that doesn’t pop open on it own.  
I got some 100lb ones with hooks and found they were hard to pull off the wall, though.  But, they do hold items with some weight up well. 
I use a couple of clips ones as well for my paperwork.  One holds the patters and the other holds invitations, tour tickets and such.  

All ships I've been on are and my magnetic hooks are the best things I have ever brought. I just hate paperwork sitting on furniture and other hangable items. It keeps the cabin neat. The magnetic chip clips are great for tickets to hang as well as itinerary paper daily notices. Ive used hooks for hats, purses, coats, umbrellas.....etc. 

Go to amazon and I got hooks for 35lb weighted items. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

What a great idea!! Thanks.

I have several of the smaller J-hook ones so, left it on one of the safe on the Ruby that wouldn’t pop open on its own.  It worked like a charm. I wonder if it’s still there. 

• Haha 1

I have several magnets always in my suitcase. I use one per excursion and line them up in order by the door.  I also keep the first patter on the wall with all the ports listed and the time frames in port. I use both flat magnets and ones that are clips to hold papers. Love this trick.