LIVE!!! ICON OF THE SEAS INAUGURAL

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Toby ended off the week on a high note by winning the Best of the Best competition on the Flowrider.  The first one to sign the board.  Thanks to his cheering squad of @Ozark_Kid (John and Sharon) and @FromSea2ShiningSea (Marty and Helen) ascwell as friends of mine who were also on this sailing along with a bunch of new friends he met on board.

20240202_193148.jpg

Congrats to Toby. We didn’t know this was going on or we would have been there.

• Like 2

I agree the photos have been great and appreciate the time spent writing this review for everyone. But nothing I’ve seen changed my opinion that Royal has created the first floating amusement park at sea, rather than another elegant cruise ship. If I want a cruise fix on a brand new ship from Royal, I’ll just have to wait for Utopia.

9 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Many thanks to everyone who posted and commented during your time on board.  I know how time consuming it is and it is very much appreciated!!  Like others I had little interest in Icon (DH has always wanted to sail).  But, now that it appears there are areas that are more quiet, I would enjoy that.  And, the interior of the ship for the most part looks spectacular.

Congratulations, Toby, for being the first Best of the Best!  @Ourusualbeach you must be very proud 🥰

Thanks again everyone, this has been a fantastic live thread!  ☺️

I concur. I’m adding this class of ships to my cruise bucket list.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MVoelker said:

For anyone who has now sailed ICON, can you tell me how long it was to disembark when you returned to Miami?  Wondering what time to have a car arrive for pickup to the airport? Thank you!

We left our room at 7:20am.  No delays getting off the ship. 15 minutes tops.  No lines.

It took awhile for the Lyft to pick us up.  We didn't call Lyft until we were off the ship.

It took awhile to get to our gate. Not the greatest check in guy.

At the gate at 8:50am.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I agree the photos have been great and appreciate the time spent writing this review for everyone. But nothing I’ve seen changed my opinion that Royal has created the first floating amusement park at sea, rather than another elegant cruise ship. If I want a cruise fix on a brand new ship from Royal, I’ll just have to wait for Utopia.

I would certainly not classify Utopia as elegant.  The 2 ships are more similar than than different with respect to demographics they attract and he attractions they provide.  There are definitely more areas that are really adults only even if not listed as suchon Icon.

If you are looking for elegant without the amusement park atmosphere you need to keep your fingers crossed that Discovery class is built without the amusement park attractions. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We left our room at 7:20am.  No delays getting off the ship. 15 minutes tops.  No lines.

It took awhile for the Lyft to pick us up.  We didn't call Lyft until we were off the ship.

It took awhile to get to our gate. Not the greatest check in guy.

At the gate at 8:50am.

Safe travels John.  We were also just as quick amd now waiting at gate J. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Safe travels John.  We were also just as quick amd now waiting at gate J. 

Thanks.   Enjoyed are time together. 

We are at gate G section with Keith and Regina.   We fly out at 11:50 am to Nashville while they fly out a little later to Memphis. 

Safe travels to y'all too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would certainly not classify Utopia as elegant.  The 2 ships are more similar than than different with respect to demographics they attract and he attractions they provide.  There are definitely more areas that are really adults only even if not listed as suchon Icon.

If you are looking for elegant without the amusement park atmosphere you need to keep your fingers crossed that Discovery class is built without the amusement park attractions. 

I have been on all five Oasis ships (some more than once) and have enjoyed every one of them. Royal hit the sweet spot with that ship class,  Now they’ve gone and messed it up trying to outdo Disney. Not for me.

15 hours ago, MVoelker said:

For anyone who has now sailed ICON, can you tell me how long it was to disembark when you returned to Miami?  Wondering what time to have a car arrive for pickup to the airport? Thank you!

We walked right off and didn’t use help. Facial recognition is walk right through and your out. Everything outside seemed to moving freely. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I have been on all five Oasis ships (some more than once) and have enjoyed every one of them. Royal hit the sweet spot with that ship class,  Now they’ve gone and messed it up trying to outdo Disney. Not for me.

This is not Disney. This is a multigenerational cruise. If you are a teenager and do not want to see adults you can and conversely if you are an adult or even a seasoned citizen and do not want to see kids you can. Our thought process was the same as yours but we went with an open mind and it has been changed. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Goodbye, Icon of the Seas.  It’s been a fun week.  It was so nice to see our friends @Ozark_Kid, @Ourusualbeach and @ReneeFLL again.  It was sort of our little Hawaii/Bella cruise reunion.  And also to meet new friends @cruisinghawg.  Thanks for the wonderful memories.  It ended too soon.  
IMG_8634.thumb.jpeg.1100103b34304d5c201a691d18972477.jpeg

IMG_8637.thumb.jpeg.109080e8bac70eeb3a2b20a160816c73.jpeg

We went in with an open mind and took in all that it had to offer and we enjoyed every minute of it- from the ship, crew, food, service, activities, entertainment- was all exceptional.  Like the song says “I don’t want to close my eyes, I don’t want to fall to sleep….and I don’t want to miss a thing”.  That was how I felt this week on Icon so I’m a little sleep deprived.  I’ll sleep when I get home.  

There are still some photos that I want to share with you all but it won’t be live if you don’t mind.

We are at the airport now.  Our flight is not until 7:25 PM so we didn’t rush to get off the ship but it was so smooth and easy when we did disembarked.

Our last sunset on the ship yesterday 

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.7f7019ae95bd28efef4a90a938d54cc7.jpeg

Our last sunrise on the ship this morning 

IMG_8749.thumb.jpeg.83aa38194105fd6ce29b6c61ec6507ae.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Goodbye, Icon of the Seas.  It’s been a fun week.  It was so nice to see our friends @Ozark_Kid, @Ourusualbeach and @ReneeFLL again.  It was sort of our little Hawaii/Bella cruise reunion.  And also to meet new friends @cruisinghawg.  Thanks for the wonderful memories.  It ended too soon.  
IMG_8634.thumb.jpeg.1100103b34304d5c201a691d18972477.jpeg

IMG_8637.thumb.jpeg.109080e8bac70eeb3a2b20a160816c73.jpeg

We went in with an open mind and took in all that it had to offer and we enjoyed every minute of it- from the ship, crew, food, service, activities, entertainment- was all exceptional.  Like the song says “I don’t want to close my eyes, I don’t want to fall to sleep….and I don’t want to miss a thing”.  That was how I felt this week on Icon so I’m a little sleep deprived.  I’ll sleep when I get home.  

There are still some photos that I want to share with you all but it won’t be live if you don’t mind.

We are at the airport now.  Our flight is not until 7:25 PM so we didn’t rush to get off the ship but it was so smooth and easy when we did disembarked.

Our last sunset on the ship yesterday 

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.7f7019ae95bd28efef4a90a938d54cc7.jpeg

Our last sunrise on the ship this morning 

IMG_8749.thumb.jpeg.83aa38194105fd6ce29b6c61ec6507ae.jpeg

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Even if it was Caribbean some friends made it special.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Toby ended off the week on a high note by winning the Best of the Best competition on the Flowrider.  The first one to sign the board.  Thanks to his cheering squad of @Ozark_Kid (John and Sharon) and @FromSea2ShiningSea (Marty and Helen) ascwell as friends of mine who were also on this sailing along with a bunch of new friends he met on board.

20240202_193148.jpg

Awesome , "First to sign the board"... That really is a cool accomplishment ! , Especially for a kid his age ... He'll definitely remember this trip for awhile for sure .

Cheers

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I love love love that song!  Now which of you kids is going to book her again?  And remember......Sleep is for the weak! 😉

Already booked for next March.  Tried to see if I could add another one in as well.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I have no doubt we will love her based on this thread and You Tubers reviews, she is fabulous.  I am looking at Star for our 2026 anniversary...it's steep but I have an idea we will want to repeat our Sept. booking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We made it home in record time. From scanning our seapass card to getting home it took 40 minutes. We decided to come home first before getting on the Odyssey. We need to drop off all of our swag and purchases. We’ll mosey on over about 1:00 or so.

I am jealous on 2 subjects, you made it home in 40 minutes (I have to fly or drive long distances) and your going on another cruise today ( my next one is not until June).  Oh well.

Glad you are home safe and safe travels and enjoy your next cruise.