Small fan confiscated

figmentdj

20 hours ago, cnice515 said:

I would have to believe it would be okay to bring one?

The problem here appears to be the ineptitude of the security staff at San Pedro, not whether or not the fan was allowed on board (it is).

2 hours ago, madjohn said:

Have not sailed since 2019.  Read problem with power strips so I went looking on Princess site.  Found list of prohibitive items.  It did not mention power strips or power strips with surge protectors.  Are power strips allowed or not allowed.  I want my power strip not for plug in but it has 4 USB connectors.  In no power strip, can I bring a USB plug in charger with multiple USB ports? 

The list of prohibited items contains a footnote that mentions power strips, extension cords and surge protectors. It's quoted in post 1 of this thread.

This is new wording and as OP said, is vague. There are fire dangers associated with surge protectors used on a ship's electrical system as the neutral/ground configuration is different from those used on land. It's been exhaustively (i.e. ad naseum) discussed on CC.

Overall, power strips without surge protection are allowed but sometimes the ship's staff can't tell the difference and they err on the side of safety. Best to use one that explicitly states no surge protection / safe for cruise ship use.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Best to use one that explicitly states no surge protection / safe for cruise ship use.

Yes, no, maybe. I love the items that state cruise line approved - as if cruise lines approve any of them.

• Haha 1

So it’s 200% confirmed it’s JUST San Pedro that has a problem with fans.

like I said in 2019 shoreside staff made a big scene; so I said “let the ship decide” and ship security gave it back to me no problem 

this time (feb2024) I checked my fan; as to “bypass” San Pedro shoreside fools

nope; SHIP security said NO FANS! I said “show me the policy!” And they said “ohh wel it has to be checked out by our electrian” (after I said I need this for MEDICAL reasons, to SLEEP..it’s either a fan or I wear a CPAP)

so they said “we’ll have it checked out and let you know”…about 15 minutes later “Ok Mr. timotee your fan is OK”

like I said, I’ve sailed carnival, princess..platinum on BOTH lines and the ONLY port that has a boner for fans is San Pedro.

in a funny story, on the carnival legend back in the day..I unplugged the old tube TV; and plugged my fan in..that outlet actually smoked my fan because apprenrly it was a 110v…but the amps were only like 2amps (instead of a typical 110v outlet being 15amps)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

that outlet actually smoked my fan because apprenrly it was a 110v…but the amps were only like 2amps (instead of a typical 110v outlet being 15amps)

That's not how any of it works.

An outlet doesn't just have amps. A load plugged into it draws current (amps) based on the resistivity of the device.

I = V / R

Unless the fan you brought along on your cruise looked something like this

image.png.a216d4323e4faeb04dcd9390a410127d.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

So it’s 200% confirmed it’s JUST San Pedro that has a problem with fans.

like I said in 2019 shoreside staff made a big scene; so I said “let the ship decide” and ship security gave it back to me no problem 

this time (feb2024) I checked my fan; as to “bypass” San Pedro shoreside fools

nope; SHIP security said NO FANS! I said “show me the policy!” And they said “ohh wel it has to be checked out by our electrian” (after I said I need this for MEDICAL reasons, to SLEEP..it’s either a fan or I wear a CPAP)

so they said “we’ll have it checked out and let you know”…about 15 minutes later “Ok Mr. timotee your fan is OK”

like I said, I’ve sailed carnival, princess..platinum on BOTH lines and the ONLY port that has a boner for fans is San Pedro.

in a funny story, on the carnival legend back in the day..I unplugged the old tube TV; and plugged my fan in..that outlet actually smoked my fan because apprenrly it was a 110v…but the amps were only like 2amps (instead of a typical 110v outlet being 15amps)

Another funny story...10 years ago we took my mom on a cruise on RCI and they called us down to the naughty room because my mom had a travel iron in her bag.  So they held it for us and gave her a receipt so she could pick it up on disembarkation. We were trying to track down her little iron and there were tables full of contraband: Blenders, toaster ovens, full size irons, Mr. Coffees, rice cooker,  and a two slot toaster!!! We were hysterically laughing over all the stuff folks brought on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

15 hours ago, Outerdog said:

That's not how any of it works.

An outlet doesn't just have amps. A load plugged into it draws current (amps) based on the resistivity of the device.

I = V / R

Unless the fan you brought along on your cruise looked something like this

Thanks @Outerdog. I really wanted to comment on that post as well (retired electrical engineer here). Seems to me the only way an outlet can "smoke" something is 1) the device was defective in the first place or 2) someone plugged a 110v device into a 220v outlet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Thanks @Outerdog. I really wanted to comment on that post as well (retired electrical engineer here). Seems to me the only way an outlet can "smoke" something is 1) the device was defective in the first place or 2) someone plugged a 110v device into a 220v outlet.

I did 2)....twice!  First time with my flat iron...the ceramic heating plates melted right off!  The second time, was with a  blow dryer.   Apparently I misunderstood what my electrical engineer hubby told me!
Also, I learned there's a difference between an adapter and a converter...who knew?
LOL!

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 9:15 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I apologize for my error in misreading the OP.  

You’ve apologized multiple times and been gracious in acknowledging a faux pas many of us have made. Kudos to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 10:55 AM, madjohn said:

If no power strip, can I bring a USB plug in charger with multiple USB ports? 

Absolutely!  I take this Anker charger on every cruise:

Anker Charger.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1