Excursions and ability level.

ChrisB123

A thread on another group became very long and at times contentious. Frankly it caused me hesitation to even book a pay for excursion. This will be my first cruise with Viking and we're going on the Homeland tour. I realize the demographics is mostly over 55 and I'm 72.  ( Just an FYI ).  I will be signing up for the free excursion that are easy, and thinking hard before booking moderate. According to many people, some people with many disabilities will go ahead and book moderate and difficult, expecting help from other passengers and the crew. Also many said they missed part of the tour, due to extremely slow moving Passengers holding up the tour guide . Is this true with most cruises or only once in a while? TYIA. 

Are you worried that you might hold up an excursion? Or that you’ll be on one that has people out of their league, making it difficult for others? There’s really no way to know because every cruise is different and no one has been on every cruise. I’d just pick excursions that look good to me and then ask here if people have been on them and the actual experience of the difficulty level.

• Like 2

Read the tour description carefully.  I was on an easy tour in Costa Rica that involved walking a mile through the jungle in 90 degree heat and high humidity.  Fortunately there were plenty of benches to sit down on along the way.  Some tours that are rated moderate are boat tours that require stepping onto and off a small boat.  Some moderate tours have a section of walking or climbing that could easily be skipped by waiting on the bus.  If you post a particular tour, someone might be able to tell you more about the requirements.

No, I'm not worried about keeping up. I'll give my body and other passengers the benefit of the doubt and choose easy, just to be on the safe side. I'm power walking daily to build up endurance and may choose moderate by August. I was just wondering ( maybe too much time on my hands? ) if it's common to experience, from what others have said, if the tours have gone down hill due to people not choosing the correct ability level. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisB123 said:

I'll give my body and other passengers the benefit of the doubt and choose easy, just to be on the safe side.

Oh please don’t do that just across the board.  It’s just too limiting.  I think Viking errs on the side of caution already.  I am about you age and have done many marked demanding.  And when you get onboard, go to guest services and ask, because they often has a better description of the tour.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ChrisB123 said:

No, I'm not worried about keeping up. I'll give my body and other passengers the benefit of the doubt and choose easy, just to be on the safe side. I'm power walking daily to build up endurance and may choose moderate by August. I was just wondering ( maybe too much time on my hands? ) if it's common to experience, from what others have said, if the tours have gone down hill due to people not choosing the correct ability level. 

What cruise itinerary are you going on and we can give you some very specific and relevant information then.

Also - it always pays to listen to the port talks (live or on TV).  Viking has gotten better IMHO about describing the specifics - such as if you can't climb stairs don't do this tour, or expect to be on cobblestones not appropriate for anyone who isn't steady, or tour will involve 1.5 miles of walking.

This has helped although you still get people who are oblivious to everything - but that seems to be true in our culture these days.

Personally I'd chance it.  Let us know how we can help specific excursions.

• Like 7

I always try to do that too. In winter, it’s too easy just to stay home and in.  So dog walks when possible.  We did Homelands six years ago, but I don’t remember anything that was too demanding.  And we did a lot on our own.  I really think you will be fine.  Sign up for what you want.  When you get onboard, you can cancel and get a refund 48 hours in advance if you get info that the excursion is too much for you.  But do try to live your dream!

• Like 3

Opinions expressed on that other forum are only one side of the coin. 

We were on a Viking River cruise last year. There was a couple on our bus who both had issues. She had her first stroke when she was a teenager and has had close to a dozen in the intervening years and he has Parkinson's.  It did not stop them. They did everything. It took the two of them to get her up and down steps but they had a system -- and a lot of practice. It did not slow us down . Fellow guests helped as needed where needed. No one ever complained because we were in awe.

• Like 6

The only thing that I would say about European cruises, and Homelands countries as well, is that most of the walking tours - or when and where there is walking - you are looking at cobblestone streets and walking paths.  We were on Homelands last year and several people over several of our included excursions asked the question - "why don't they pave these stones over, it would make it easier to walk".

I agree with others that Viking sometimes raise the level of an excursion to moderate or difficult, to easily, but I have also been on many excursions across 10 Viking cruises now where I see many people challenged by either the amount of walking or the difficulty meaning stairs or uneven surfaces.

I do personally believe that the included excursions are curated so that the vast majority if not every Viking guest can partake, but this is what I would do....

When the excursions come open for booking - book all the included for yourself and travel companion(s).

When you arrive on board - the first day - ask for a meeting with the Shore Excursion Manager and discuss each excursion one-by-one so that you are completely satisfied with the demands of each excursion. This way you can be certain that you are booking the right ones and dropping ones that may be too demanding.

Even though I say that I have experienced guests on some included excursions having difficulty, this is completely a personal situation and we don't know their personal situation or limitations.  This is where meeting wtih the ShoreEx Manager will be good for you.

• Like 3

The Viking cruises I have sailed frequently offer a modified tour for less active for folks who may be slower and unable to keep up. Never saw that tour listed prior to  getting on the ship but definitely was option in some ports on river cruises and also Mediterranean Odyssey ocean cruise. 

• Like 2

I think one of the more important parts of the decision is if there's a lot of tendering vs docking at ports.  Not that some  port stops can't have issues also, like very steep ramps.  Anyway, the only thing I saw on the last VO cruise was a woman with a walker who should not have tried to tender and a very old guy in a wheel chair that took over ten minutes to get up a ramp at a pier.  VO says right on their website that their small ships are not really designed for certain people, that's why scooters are 'supposedly' not allowed. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I think one of the more important parts of the decision is if there's a lot of tendering vs docking at ports.  Not that some  port stops can't have issues also, like very steep ramps.  Anyway, the only thing I saw on the last VO cruise was a woman with a walker who should not have tried to tender and a very old guy in a wheel chair that took over ten minutes to get up a ramp at a pier.  VO says right on their website that their small ships are not really designed for certain people, that's why scooters are 'supposedly' not allowed. 

Only motorized scooters are specifically mentioned. 

Here's what the FAQ says about wheelchairs.  There is a separate question that covers disabilities, and they aren't consecutive in the list:

Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. While our ocean vessels have elevators, there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult.Contact a Viking Expert at 1-855-884-5464 (1-855-8-VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Accessibility Form and policy statement.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Only motorized scooters are specifically mentioned. 

Here's what the FAQ says about wheelchairs.  There is a separate question that covers disabilities, and they aren't consecutive in the list:

Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. While our ocean vessels have elevators, there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult.Contact a Viking Expert at 1-855-884-5464 (1-855-8-VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Accessibility Form and policy statement.

Anyone who is uncertain about a tour should make note of the portion of the part of this post highlighted by me in red.

DON

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ChrisB123 said:

I can't get over what CDNPolar had to say about people actually saying cobblestone streets should be paved over! 😂 WOW!

This one gentleman was in several of our included excursions on Viking Homelands, and he always walked right beside the guide on each excursion.  Through the QuietVox we could hear all his questions and without fail each new day, each new excursion, and each new guide, he asked why they did not pave over the cobblestones.  Generally the response was - this is our history and we love it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This one gentleman was in several of our included excursions on Viking Homelands, and he always walked right beside the guide on each excursion.  Through the QuietVox we could hear all his questions and without fail each new day, each new excursion, and each new guide, he asked why they did not pave over the cobblestones.  Generally the response was - this is our history and we love it.

He sounds like a one man crusade. Does he really think that he is going to change anything by complaining to the tour guides?

5 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

He sounds like a one man crusade. Does he really think that he is going to change anything by complaining to the tour guides?

Asking and complaining are two different things.

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

It's people like that, that give the term, "Ugly American," credence. So EMBARASSING.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Where does it say he was American?

Good point!!!!!! 😧  I assumed as most Viking passengers are American ( as I am ), a European would already know the answer, as would most Aussie's. 😃

• Like 2