LIVE from Discovery Princess Mexican Riviera from LA 2/3-2/10 2024

sonomaphil

3 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I would be happy with this breakfast any day of the week. Was service fairly reasonable as far as time?

A small line to enter about 8:45, we have a table for two, and are finishing up our meal right now at 9:13. 

• Like 2

I am looking forward to our first visit to The Catch.  A quick question to anybody in the know.  I notice that several of the menu items have an asterisk (*), but I can't see a footnote at the bottom of the page that explains the asterisk.  Does anybody know what that denotes?

I had to chuckle when I saw that the menu included Oysters on the Half Shell.  Our one Royal Class cruise was on the Royal Princess some years ago.  Prior to the cruise we were pretty excited to see that Oysters on the Half Shell were offered in the Ocean Terrace seafood bar,  On the second or third day of our cruise we made our way to the Ocean Terrace.  We found seats (it was, actually, pretty busy). and a waiter came over.  As much as we like oysters on the half shell, my wife is pretty fussy.  So, after I ordered a bottle of Albarino, she asked, "Where are your oysters from?"

"Texas," was the reply.

I immediately thought, "Uh oh.  Well, this is September, and, so, there is an 'R' in this month."

No go,  We did not order oysters.  

Mrs, XBGuy will only eat oysters from cold waters.  

• Like 5

You are off to a great start of your cruise. If Leo Rossi is on this week, he does a very interesting talk on his life in the rock 'n' roll business.We saw most of the shows that he talks about, so it brings back some good memories for me. 

Have a fun day. 🙂

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I am looking forward to our first visit to The Catch.  A quick question to anybody in the know.  I notice that several of the menu items have an asterisk (*), but I can't see a footnote at the bottom of the page that explains the asterisk.  Does anybody know what that denotes?

I had to chuckle when I saw that the menu included Oysters on the Half Shell.  Our one Royal Class cruise was on the Royal Princess some years ago.  Prior to the cruise we were pretty excited to see that Oysters on the Half Shell were offered in the Ocean Terrace seafood bar,  On the second or third day of our cruise we made our way to the Ocean Terrace.  We found seats (it was, actually, pretty busy). and a waiter came over.  As much as we like oysters on the half shell, my wife is pretty fussy.  So, after I ordered a bottle of Albarino, she asked, "Where are your oysters from?"

"Texas," was the reply.

I immediately thought, "Uh oh.  Well, this is September, and, so, there is an 'R' in this month."

No go,  We did not order oysters.  

Mrs, XBGuy will only eat oysters from cold waters.  

If I remember correctly (totally possible that I don't) the asterisk is the warning about raw/undercooked food 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the information!!

We will be on Discovery doing 3 b2b2b starting on 2/24.  Two 7-day Mexican Riviera and one 7-day Pacific Coastal.

In November 2022, we did the 7-day Mexican Riviera on Discovery Princess, and truly enjoyed it, so we are doing it again.  

We always pre-order bottled water before our cruise starts.  When we were on the Discovery in November 2022, we noticed at the entrance to the buffet, there is a nice water machine there (see picture below).  If that machine is still on Discovery Princess, then we will not pre-order bottled water this time.  We will just get water from that machine.

The next time you go to the buffet, please kindly check if that machine is still there.  TIA!!

Discovery Water Machine.jpeg

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for all the information!!

We will be on Discovery doing 3 b2b2b starting on 2/24.  Two 7-day Mexican Riviera and one 7-day Pacific Coastal.

In November 2022, we did the 7-day Mexican Riviera on Discovery Princess, and truly enjoyed it, so we are doing it again.  

We always pre-order bottled water before our cruise starts.  When we were on the Discovery in November 2022, we noticed at the entrance to the buffet, there is a nice water machine there (see picture below).  If that machine is still on Discovery Princess, then we will not pre-order bottled water this time.  We will just get water from that machine.

The next time you go to the buffet, please kindly check if that machine is still there.  TIA!!

Discovery Water Machine.jpeg

If I don't miss my guess it was here and now is gone.

PXL_20240204_201041457.MP.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Many officers.  The Captain introduced about 7 officers. 

I guess we wonder how that group (those who shall not be named) were able to make that happen with the officers.

Got to make use of all the "perks" for the packages.  Doubt there is a single person in line who is going to shell out $12.99 for one of those sundaes.  On a longer cruise, the passengers are more spread out over the days.  

I'm a one and done.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3