Sanctuary/ British Isles.

tdtanc

Hey. Thank you to all in advance for any advice. Pretty much new to Princess. Taking a British Isles cruise May 27th on the regal. As you know its so port intensive so we want some time to rest. There are 3 sea days and I have researched that the Sanctuary can get reserved very quickly on the day of embarkation. My dilemma is that we will be taking an excursion that day out of London to Windsor Castle and likely wont get to ship check in until late in the afternoon. Does it get reserved that quickly? I'm no stranger to tipping to get what I want so maybe thats the route to go when I get to the sanctuary to reserve it if its full?? Anyone have an email to someone on board to help me in advance? Is this even an issue and I wont have a problem??

Thank you

The quickly disappearing Sanctuary loungers are mostly an issue for tropical cruises such as Caribbean sector.  There is somewhat less demand in Europe, but sea days are always the most in demand no matter where a ship is sailing.

Do you have a friend who will be on board sooner and can book on your behalf?  Otherwise, just head up there as soon as you can after boarding.  They close up shop between 5pm and 5:30pm.

Tipping to get a chair when they are all reserved is not going to help.  You cannot email someone who works there to get you a lounger.  A guest with a personal friend who works there might be able to make something happen, but that isn't your situation.

• Like 3

It’s strictly on a first arrived first serviced basis.  There is nobody to tip.  They either have space or it’s full.  There is nobody to help you prior to embarkation.  We’ve been doing this for years and sometimes we’ve been disappointed and sometimes we’ve been successful.

However, for a B.I. itinerary in May there will be a greater possibility of success.  The month of May in the UK can be quite cool and rainy.   The crew will close the Sanctuary if the weather becomes extremely inclement, especially with wind.  Personally, I wouldn’t ever consider the Sanctuary on this particular cruise.  

• Like 4

The sanctuary has a defined number of lounges. When one goes there to reserve a lounge they select a lounge and that is theirs. Once all the lounges are reserved and paid for that's it. Tipping will have no effect.

The Sanctuary is busy in the tropics. Not so busy in the cooler weather of northern Europe. Chance you will be able to book if you wish upon boarding. If you are unable to reserve a sanctuary lounger then there is are other options for lounging, Lounging around the pool and the deck above. Comfortable chairs are also around the pool as well as on the Horizon Terrace aft. Beverages & food items can be ordered to your location using the Ocean Now app. If you have a balcony cabin you can also sit there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

The sanctuary has a defined number of lounges. When one goes there to reserve a lounge they select a lounge and that is theirs. Once all the lounges are reserved and paid for that's it. Tipping will have no effect.

The Sanctuary is busy in the tropics. Not so busy in the cooler weather of northern Europe. Chance you will be able to book if you wish upon boarding. If you are unable to reserve a sanctuary lounger then there is are other options for lounging, Lounging around the pool and the deck above. Comfortable chairs are also around the pool as well as on the Horizon Terrace aft. Beverages & food items can be ordered to your location using the Ocean Now app. If you have a balcony cabin you can also sit there.

We are devoted fans of the Sanctuary, and up until two days ago when we boarded the Discovery, I would have assumed that was true.  Turns out the floorplan is flexible at the discretion of the staff.  For the first time ever, we actually made it up to the Sanctuary as the very first embarking passengers in the booking line. And of course, as it's a warm weather cruise, all the best loungers had been grabbed by the B2Bers on the previous trip. Amazingly, the Maitre'd on his own initiative offered to create two new lounger positions for us by moving/removing some of the extraneous floor decorations and adding two new loungers for us.  That gave us two days (a port day and a sea day) that we wouldn't otherwise have had.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2024 at 2:29 PM, tdtanc said:

Hey. Thank you to all in advance for any advice. Pretty much new to Princess. Taking a British Isles cruise May 27th on the regal. As you know its so port intensive so we want some time to rest. There are 3 sea days and I have researched that the Sanctuary can get reserved very quickly on the day of embarkation. My dilemma is that we will be taking an excursion that day out of London to Windsor Castle and likely wont get to ship check in until late in the afternoon. Does it get reserved that quickly? I'm no stranger to tipping to get what I want so maybe thats the route to go when I get to the sanctuary to reserve it if its full?? Anyone have an email to someone on board to help me in advance? Is this even an issue and I wont have a problem??

Thank you

I would not worry much on this particular cruise.

If it is full, check back as cancellations often occur.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KKB said:

I would not worry much on this particular cruise.

If it is full, check back as cancellations often occur.

thank you everyone for your advice. 

I have done the British Isles cruise 2x in August.  We tried watching the outdoors movie on the sea day, we were only able to sit for 10 minutes with jackets and a blanket as it was cold and windy.

In May 2022, I sailed out Southampton for a Norwegian Fjords cruise.  On the sea days, it was EXTREMELY COLD and WINDY, no one was sitting out.  Passing the open outdoor automatic door at the buffet, you could feel the COLD air.  I am from Canada, it felt worst than our winter weather.

I would not spend money for the sanctuary chairs.  If you want a sanctuary chair, go on a sea day, and see if any chairs available.  British Isles cruise weather is not like a Caribbean cruise especially May weather.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I have done the British Isles cruise 2x in August.  We tried watching the outdoors movie on the sea day, we were only able to sit for 10 minutes with jackets and a blanket as it was cold and windy.

In May 2022, I sailed out Southampton for a Norwegian Fjords cruise.  On the sea days, it was EXTREMELY COLD and WINDY, no one was sitting out.  Passing the open outdoor automatic door at the buffet, you could feel the COLD air.  I am from Canada, it felt worst than our winter weather.

I would not spend money for the sanctuary chairs.  If you want a sanctuary chair, go on a sea day, and see if any chairs available.  British Isles cruise weather is not like a Caribbean cruise especially May weather.

Exactly!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 9:04 AM, lx200gps said:

We are devoted fans of the Sanctuary, and up until two days ago when we boarded the Discovery, I would have assumed that was true.  Turns out the floorplan is flexible at the discretion of the staff.  For the first time ever, we actually made it up to the Sanctuary as the very first embarking passengers in the booking line. And of course, as it's a warm weather cruise, all the best loungers had been grabbed by the B2Bers on the previous trip. Amazingly, the Maitre'd on his own initiative offered to create two new lounger positions for us by moving/removing some of the extraneous floor decorations and adding two new loungers for us.  That gave us two days (a port day and a sea day) that we wouldn't otherwise have had.

We have seen this a few times when the Sanctuary Cabanas were not sold out.  They moved loungers from the Cabanas to create more regular bookings.