Beware Porter Airlines Direct to FLL from Ottawa - Always late

jy_cruisefan

We are booked on the direct flight from YOW to FLL later this week. From what I have seen, when checking the flight status for the same flight for the past two weeks, this flight is regularly delayed 2 hours or more. Any ideas why? Cannot get a hold of Porter to find out. Hate to admit it, but I should have paid the extra few dollars and booked with Air Canada.

image.thumb.png.67d3c1040aaa1dfbade66dace2ee588b.png

Porter is a small fish, swimming with sharks, trying to make headway into a new market with limited room.  They will be among the first to feel the pinch when the major airlines experience delays and have to reschedule.  This is why I always book a Porter flight as early in the day as possible because a few minutes delay mounts up during inclement weather, creating longer and longer delays. It’s helpful to keep an eye on the weather across the US to get an idea of possible impact to your flight.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jy_cruisefan said:

We are booked on the direct flight from YOW to FLL later this week. From what I have seen, when checking the flight status for the same flight for the past two weeks, this flight is regularly delayed 2 hours or more. Any ideas why? Cannot get a hold of Porter to find out. Hate to admit it, but I should have paid the extra few dollars and booked with Air Canada.

image.thumb.png.67d3c1040aaa1dfbade66dace2ee588b.png

I hear you. It’s an awful situation. Porter have a bad rep for delays and converging flights, even within Canada. Passengers also feel the brunt of their pilots being poached by the big guys. Only 7 of their 12 flights have departed within half hour of the plan since Jan 25. If you want to get up at zero past dark hour the AC flight at 6am (on one or two days a week) has left on time every day during the same period. The posted rate today is ~$265. That’s far less than Porter if I remember.  The later flights are all via YYZ or YUL and over $900 which is insane compared to the 180-190 pre pandemic. I feel for you. Wish there was an easy solution but it’s going to be a long time coming. Airlines are flying full. And AC sales are at an all time high….is it any wonder? 

• Like 1

We returned to Ottawa on Sunday from Fort Lauderdale, having flown down on the 26th. Each flight was about an hour late departing, which was better than I had expected as I too had been checking the status of these flights for a few weeks and had seen many far longer delays.

The flights themselves were fine, with one major exception. On the outbound flight, with an hour left to go, the captain came on the radio to announce that the plane's holding tank was full and that the toilets could no longer be used. 🙄 I don't know how often they empty the tanks, but clearly there's an issue with their maintenance scheduling.

We had originally booked Air Canada, with a 5:05PM departure time from Ottawa, which they subsequently changed to 6:15AM. Sorry, but this pair of 75 year olds isn't about to start a relaxing cruise holiday by getting up hours before the crack of dawn. Given the choice between AC via YUL or YYZ, or a direct flight at a reasonable time with Porter, we chose the latter. Even with our recent experience, we would do the same next time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We returned to Ottawa on Sunday from Fort Lauderdale, having flown down on the 26th. Each flight was about an hour late departing, which was better than I had expected as I too had been checking the status of these flights for a few weeks and had seen many far longer delays.

The flights themselves were fine, with one major exception. On the outbound flight, with an hour left to go, the captain came on the radio to announce that the plane's holding tank was full and that the toilets could no longer be used. 🙄 I don't know how often they empty the tanks, but clearly there's an issue with their maintenance scheduling.

We had originally booked Air Canada, with a 5:05PM departure time from Ottawa, which they subsequently changed to 6:15AM. Sorry, but this pair of 75 year olds isn't about to start a relaxing cruise holiday by getting up hours before the crack of dawn. Given the choice between AC via YUL or YYZ, or a direct flight at a reasonable time with Porter, we chose the latter. Even with our recent experience, we would do the same next time.

But at 75  aren’t you up at 2-3 am for a washroom break from sleeping 🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The flights themselves were fine, with one major exception. On the outbound flight, with an hour left to go, the captain came on the radio to announce that the plane's holding tank was full and that the toilets could no longer be used. 🙄 I don't know how often they empty the tanks, but clearly there's an issue with their maintenance scheduling

Yikes. 

• Like 1

On our return flight from FFL to YOW, somewhere in the baggage-handling process, someone dropped my suitcase, knocking off one wheel and crushing that corner of the suitcase. Yesterday afternoon I submitted a claim to Porter, and this morning I received a choice between a cash settlement or a voucher for a future flight that was double the value of the cash. As the suitcase was over ten years old and had seen a lot of travel, the amounts offered were very generous, and I was amazed at the speed with which the claim was handled.

Given the common perception that making any form of claim agains airlines can be a source of frustration these days, I must say that I was very happily surprised in dealing with Porter on this issue. As we need to book return flights to Vancouver for a Hawaiian cruise later this year, the voucher offer is a great option.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

On our return flight from FFL to YOW, somewhere in the baggage-handling process, someone dropped my suitcase, knocking off one wheel and crushing that corner of the suitcase. Yesterday afternoon I submitted a claim to Porter, and this morning I received a choice between a cash settlement or a voucher for a future flight that was double the value of the cash. As the suitcase was over ten years old and had seen a lot of travel, the amounts offered were very generous, and I was amazed at the speed with which the claim was handled.

Given the common perception that making any form of claim agains airlines can be a source of frustration these days, I must say that I was very happily surprised in dealing with Porter on this issue. As we need to book return flights to Vancouver for a Hawaiian cruise later this year, the voucher offer is a great option.

So bottom line, your flight was over a hour late departing, the washrooms didn't work, and they broke some of you luggage. I think I'll get up early and take the Air Canada flight. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jy_cruisefan said:

So bottom line, your flight was over a hour late departing, the washrooms didn't work, and they broke some of you luggage. I think I'll get up early and take the Air Canada flight. 

Well, SWMBO says that there's no way she's rising way earlier than the roosters, and refuses to fly back through YYZ when there's a direct flight with Porter. 😇

I thought Porter were the Bees Knees when they first came on the scene but now I have not flown them in probably a decade.  They just seemed to continue to decline in my eyes.

8 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I thought Porter were the Bees Knees when they first came on the scene but now I have not flown them in probably a decade.  They just seemed to continue to decline in my eyes.

I think you can say that about every airline in Canada 

They have a couple days but mostly bad days😉😁

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think you can say that about every airline in Canada 

They have a couple days but mostly bad days😉😁

I hesitate to say that our more recent flights with AC we have been impressed with the service, and the efficiency of their service.  Friendly crew overall a good experience.

Now I will duck from the responses..... HAHA

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I hesitate to say that our more recent flights with AC we have been impressed with the service, and the efficiency of their service.  Friendly crew overall a good experience.

Aside from the early emergence from Covid when all airlines were having issues, thankfully we seem to be much luckier with airlines than the average CC member.

In the last year we have had multiple flights on AC, Westjet, and Flair. They've all been on time (or early) with good service 🙂

We leave for FLL tomorrow, Porter to Pearson, Pearson to FLL. We'll be taking AC back, Same route, FLL to Pearson, Pearson to home. I'm hoping we don't have to many problems but we are flying out a day early for the cruise just in case. 

It's always a pain no matter who we fly with out of Newfoundland. The staff are always great, I think the benefit of the smaller airport. But I haven't flown Porter since my University years. *Crossing my fingers* that everything goes smoothly for us. 

Considering it saved us almost $2500 to do this vs flying round trip with AC, and they have must shorter lay overs. I'm hoping all goes to plan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I agree and will duck along with you.  No problem whatsoever with AC using their flights for years.  Recently I tried West Jet and that was a very unpleasant experience.

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Much as Canadians revile Air Canada, the flights I have been on were packed tight.  They can't all be touroids, surely?

11 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

Much as Canadians revile Air Canada, the flights I have been on were packed tight.  They can't all be touroids, surely?

Not very many flights go with empty seats today on any airline, regardless of who or where the people are coming from.  I have friends that fly weekly for business, it is not just tourism.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Not very many flights go with empty seats today on any airline, regardless of who or where the people are coming from. 

Quite right, with fewer flights, those still scheduled have a higher passenger load. And according to the news media, more people are travelling than ever before, thus compounding the problem.

18 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

When you live in an area of Canada that WestJet doesn’t service, AC is the only option.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:46 PM, CDNPolar said:

Several years ago I gave up flying economy except on Porter. When they started they offered a generous pitch of 34 inches. There was a boxed-lunch (or breakfast) offered on board. There was a pleasant lounge at Toronto's Billy Bishop Airport with free beverages - even tea or coffee in cups and saucers and shortbreads. In 2015 the leg-room was shrunk to 32 inches and the boxed light meals were discontinued. I forget when, but the complimentary offerings in the Toronto lounge soon disappeared.

Now that Porter Reserve has been created, the pitch has shrunk again to 30 inches.  I tried Reserve on a Q400 from Halifax to Toronto. The extra leg-room was worth it. There is no charge for checked luggage and seat assignment. There were no other on-board perks other than a cookie or chips from the basket and a beverage - the same as all passengers are offered. To their credit, Porter still offers complimentary wine in real glass even in the basic section.

Next month I will  try their Reserve section on the Embraer jet. A light meal is promised on flights over 2.5 hours.  The pitch is 36 inches. The modest extra fare seems a good deal. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Next month I will  try their Reserve section on the Embraer jet. A light meal is promised on flights over 2.5 hours.  The pitch is 36 inches. The modest extra fare seems a good deal. 

That was what we thought too, and have booked Reserve for our flight to Vancouver later this year. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:46 PM, CDNPolar said:

I've only flown Porter 2 or 3 times, out of Billy Bishop (to YUL and Chicago Midway). I haven't had any problems, and really enjoyed the flights, so I'm wondering if their issues are flying in and out of smaller cities with less flights like Ottawa.

2 hours ago, starvenger said:

I've only flown Porter 2 or 3 times, out of Billy Bishop (to YUL and Chicago Midway). I haven't had any problems, and really enjoyed the flights, so I'm wondering if their issues are flying in and out of smaller cities with less flights like Ottawa.

Don’t fly to Thunder Bay , it is usually delayed 

On 2/10/2024 at 5:06 PM, Fouremco said:

That was what we thought too, and have booked Reserve for our flight to Vancouver later this year. 

Flew reserve out of Vancouver in September and it was the worst airport experience. The airport maps were out of date so just finding the desk was hard. They also don’t prioritize check in for reserve like their suppose to. Customer service was horrible. The good parts though were the food onboard.