infinite veranda, does anyone like these things?

sunsetme

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

The stat only enables you to turn the settings up and down not off. With your the balcony door left open this puts a strain on the whole system as it tries to maintain the temperature you have set against the massive inflow of uncontrolled air from outside. Clearly you don't want to accept that your actions can/will  affect passengers in the adjoining cabin(s). Just ask an Engineer/Environmental  Officer on the ship and he/she will happy to give you a detailed explanation.

I will be sure to seek out the Environmental officer on my next cruise. He is the guy (on Ascent) who decided you cannot drink in the Retreat Pool because he was afraid pool water might be tainted when he does his testing.

On E Class balconies I know the air is shut off when balcony is open.  There is a prox switch at door. I am sure the temp of the room is higher and there is some very small air exchange to outside from cabin door. Our evening room temp on last cruise went up to maybe 70/71 F. So if this is causing a drastic temp situation with nearby rooms trying to stay at 67? then the air system is improperly sized, or air flow/insulation between rooms is a problem.  Bottom line is I don't think I need to feel like a 'culprit' to have a drink in the pool (non glass container) or have my balcony open in the evening if I choose. JMHO

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Good question.  Probably what the main issue is IV’s are listed under “Verandah” category of rooms and when one thinks of Verandah, they probably assume a true balcony.

Good point. It isn't a veranda and it isn't infinite. How about 'small sunroom with large window that opens'? I have to admit, the name initially got me excited as a dedicated S class X cruiser. Wow, 'an infinite veranda'.... sounded great until I learned what it really was. JMHO.

• Like 4

I wonder if IV naysayers would have been more accepting if Celebrity referred to them as French Balconies. That fits the description by having a window that opens and closes. But now you get to the part where a French Balcony typically has no table or chairs. So, if that were the case and in order to fulfill the exact definition, Celebrity would have no furniture on those verandas. Does that work for you? X would certainly not have to worry about foot stools.

Know what you are getting, or don't get. Too many variables to worry about one definition.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I will be sure to seek out the Environmental officer on my next cruise. He is the guy (on Ascent) who decided you cannot drink in the Retreat Pool because he was afraid pool water might be tainted when he does his testing.

On E Class balconies I know the air is shut off when balcony is open.  There is a prox switch at door. I am sure the temp of the room is higher and there is some very small air exchange to outside from cabin door. Our evening room temp on last cruise went up to maybe 70/71 F. So if this is causing a drastic temp situation with nearby rooms trying to stay at 67? then the air system is improperly sized, or air flow/insulation between rooms is a problem.  Bottom line is I don't think I need to feel like a 'culprit' to have a drink in the pool (non glass container) or have my balcony open in the evening if I choose. JMHO

Just now, the penguins said:
4 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

sorry I am confused.

was your last cruise on E class or S class?

If it was S class and you were in a normal balcony then sorry but yes "having your balcony door open in the evening" or any other time is wrong, the sign on the door makes it very clear and it does affect your neighbours. Whether you feel "like a culprit" is up to you. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, the penguins said:

sorry I am confused.

was your last cruise on E class or S class?

If it was S class and you were in a normal balcony then sorry but yes "having your balcony door open in the evening" or any other time is wrong, the sign on the door makes it very clear and it does affect your neighbours. Whether you feel "like a culprit" is up to you. 

Don't be confused. I said E class and mentioned Ascent. My last cruises were on Ascent and Apex in balconies. So  I have your blessing to sleep with the balcony open? 

35 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Don't be confused. I said E class and mentioned Ascent. My last cruises were on Ascent and Apex in balconies. So  I have your blessing to sleep with the balcony open? 

You paid for the room, do whatever makes you happy.

The only time on S class that it truly makes a difference , is opening your cabin door with the slider open. 

13 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

On E class not an issue as the aircon turns off.

On S and M class no one needs my blessing or approval just to accept that the system isn't designed to function that way. 

Ti us it's a small sunroom or mini wintergarden style area but we have come to enjoy it!  Word " balcony" should be dropped.

For our next cruise we booked a real balc again..so we can compare.  After that we will be back to an SV ..worried about ash on the big balc..

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Ti us it's a small sunroom or mini wintergarden style area but we have come to enjoy it!  Word " balcony" should be dropped.

For our next cruise we booked a real balc again..so we can compare.  After that we will be back to an SV ..worried about ash on the big balc..

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you have a great cruise on your balcony. I did see an interesting YT video from a frequent cruiser who enjoyed her IV with bed by door but felt it was much less favorable with bed by balcony. Just thought it interesting and something I would not have considered.

5 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Well, our neighbor just returned from an Apex cruise in an "infinite veranda" cabin and said never again. Said they did not like the "fake balcony" at all. 

I hate it but my DW likes it.

I guess you can figure out how that ends up?

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 8:07 AM, chisoxfan said:

Are you saying the AC goes off when the *doors* are open or when the *window* is let down? 

26 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Are you saying the AC goes off when the *doors* are open or when the *window* is let down? 

The doors don't do anything. The window is what controls the HVAC to turn on or off. 

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

When the window is down the AC goes off.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:
2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

or when the *window* is let down? 

The doors don't do anything. The window is what controls the HVAC to turn on or off. 

I am well aware of this... Sitting in an IV on the Ascent right now. This is why I asked @chisoxfan what was meant by "balcony open" 

2 hours ago, D. B. said:

I hate it but my DW likes it.

I guess you can figure out how that ends up?

Just go out on your balcony at 3 AM and see how DW likes that 😃

Perfectly doable on a real balcony if you are quiet...

That is one of the drawbacks of the design...

• Thanks 1