Withdrawing Daily Auto Gratuity fees onboard

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

How many here will add an additional tip to deserving staff on top of the automatic service charge?

On my way to the local credit union to take out crisp bills for tips on top of HSC. We know what we will give, plus some more if additional services come up. If they don't have enough new bills, we can stop at the big bank in the city...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

You didn’t bother to post my whole thread but yes when you’re use to evening turndown service for 44 years of cruising with chocolates on the pillow then all of a sudden it’s one thing after another that is being taken away from us then it’s good bye HAL, we will stick with Celebrity and Princess.

You're right, in the interest of brevity I only posted the part that was relevant to my comment. And by specifying the lack of chocolates on your pillow as the source of the grievance you helped to drive the message home.

There are so many wonderful experiences to be had on a cruise ship; it's a shame that a few minor irritants, added together, can spoil the entire holiday. 

• Like 7

HR practices is familiar to many people here on this forum. So, very briefly, there are two areas of concern regarding remuneration and staffing.

Assured wages must be high enough to recruit enough people of sufficient quality to crew your ship. Our sailors need an assured income to send home to their families.

Should all pax refuse to pay the gratuity imposed by HAL, the employees would re-negotiate. Already, HAL has undertaken to meet a minimal wage. There is no reason why HAL can't pay all of their wages, and include the cost in the cruise fare as a mandatory service charge. This shouldn't be a problem for those already committed to pay the gratuity.

The other concern is motivation. The ship can censure and terminate unsatisfactory performance. It also needs to positively motivate hotel staff to be at their best. Yes, HAL's gratuity can be withheld. It is not a mandatory service charge as imposed in the bar and on your laundry etc.

The ship informs its hotel staff about pax who withhold gratuities. So, they get feedback about their performance depending on whether they did or did not get a tip. This can be an important training tool.

We do praise employees in our post-cruise survey. Do they receive a monetary award from HAL? Or, would our service heroes prefer something more tangible from their clients?

There was a comment from someone that staff prefer gratuities to wages because of the differences in tax rates! AFAIK, sailors are taxed by their places of residence. Income tax rates can be high (Scandinavia) or low (as low as 5% in Indonesia). Each jurisdiction has different regulations about the treatment of wages versus gratuity. Cash is always best. 😉

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

You're right, in the interest of brevity I only posted the part that was relevant to my comment. And by specifying the lack of chocolates on your pillow as the source of the grievance you helped to drive the message home.

There are so many wonderful experiences to be had on a cruise ship; it's a shame that a few minor irritants, added together, can spoil the entire holiday. 

Right now it’s more than minor irritants with HAL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlennG said:

Some people will never accept that others find disappointment with HAL and its services.

I find disappointment at times, and joy at others.  Still won't take it out on the crew that works their tails off. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

The other concern is motivation. The ship can censure and terminate unsatisfactory performance. It also needs to positively motivate hotel staff to be at their best. 

HAL already does that. I know from experience on my last cruise that when praise for an employee is provided management that employee with be provided with a monetary award.

We do praise employees in our post-cruise survey. Do they receive a monetary award from HAL? Or, would our service heroes prefer something more tangible from their clients?

I'm pretty sure a monetary award is more than satisfactory with employees. Additionally, good customer reviews lead to promotions. What else do you think "service heroes prefer"???

Were you under the impression that those of us who gave additional tips did not also provide praise for the wonderful service we were provided? If so, not true!

• Like 13

14 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

I can't imagine my room attendant for instance, not keeping the cash I give them during a "$100 handshake."  I'm going to ask.

That's very generous. I'll follow your example, if the employee performs well.

Glad to hear that HAL will allow staff to keep their tips. Makes no sense for staff to hand their tips back into the pool. The tips are a personal gift from pax to server. The choice made by the giver.

Some are rightly concerned that the total compensation received by the crew will be less if we withhold the gratuity. Well, it won't be if HAL makes up the difference and we donate the full amount to deserving employees.

I'm just surprised that there's so much controversy on the issue. Ultimately, the reason for giving is a personal matter. I can't walk in your shoes, and vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One time I actually went the opposite direction and increased my daily gratuity. It felt like I was being asked all the questions of why I was reducing the amount when I wasn’t. It almost made me feel bad for making the request.  It became too much trouble that I’ll not do that again.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

One time I actually went the opposite direction and increased my daily gratuity. It felt like I was being asked all the questions of why I was reducing the amount when I wasn’t. It almost made me feel bad for making the request.  It became too much trouble that I’ll not do that again.

You can make a donation to the Crew Fund (or a similar name - I can't recall right now) for any amount. We do this when we have remaining OBC. No questions asked, just sign a receipt and receive a BIG smile and "THANK YOU" from the Guest Services employee who takes it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You can make a donation to the Crew Fund (or a similar name - I can't recall right now) for any amount. We do this when we have remaining OBC. No questions asked, just sign a receipt and receive a BIG smile and "THANK YOU" from the Guest Services employee who takes it.

Thank you for the tip.  I didn’t know that was an option.  I’ll keep it in mind for future reference.  Although, DH has a habit of claiming my unused OBC😆.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Thank you for the tip.  I didn’t know that was an option.  I’ll keep it in mind for future reference.  Although, DH has a habit of claiming my unused OBC😆.

Somehow that "unused OBC" becomes "unopened Scotch" the evening before disembarkation

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I will say that with the ever increasing "auto gratuities" regardless of cruise line and in some cases with a decreasing amount and quality of service received has given me pause in giving extra.  To date I have always given extra sometimes because I felt like it was the right thing to do even for service that was very average. I'll continue to give extra but only for those going beyond "adequate." 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

I will say that with the ever increasing "auto gratuities" regardless of cruise line and in some cases with a decreasing amount and quality of service received has given me pause in giving extra.  To date I have always given extra sometimes because I felt like it was the right thing to do even for service that was very average. I'll continue to give extra but only for those going beyond "adequate." 

Here in Minnesota, alot of restaurants are adding an Employee Wellness fee to your bill. Can't wait for HAL to look to us to start pitching in for their employees health insurance.  I'm all for the 15-20% tipping for service, and have never taken gratuities off and always tip room stewards and alot of the Lido employees regardless of mediocre to great, but tipping for services has reached a maximum for me, and quite honestly getting fed up with the whole concept. I would like for the places I utilize to encompass everything into the price I am paying for the services and just pay the employees what they pay them. It's getting quite ridiculous.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, RynoWally said:

It's getting quite ridiculous.

Quite so. Customers are made responsible for employee compensation. Actually, its a contract between company and staff.

The problem is that companies aren't able to raise the cruise fare. The industry had been over-enthusiastic before covid. Now, there's still over-capacity. Prices at many brands are low after adjustment for inflation.

The obvious solution is for the industry to retire/sell older ships, strengthen cruise prices, and rebuild quality. For HAL, that means better wages and/or fewer hours for the hotel staff.

Edited by HappyInVan

4 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Quite so. Customers are made responsible for employee compensation. Actually, its a contract between company and staff.

The problem is that companies aren't able to raise the cruise fare. The industry had been over-enthusiastic before covid. Now, there's still over-capacity. Prices at many brands are low after adjustment for inflation.

The obvious solution is for the industry to retire/sell older ships, strengthen cruise prices, and rebuild quality. For HAL, that means better wages and/or fewer hours for the hotel staff.

Guests are responsible to pay for everything, absolutely everything.  That is how profitable businesses operate.  No profits, no business 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Completely agree. This add on here and add on there just creates more research for the consumer to see if "the juice is worth the squeeze" in comparison to other lines, it's a huge headache, but I will do the research. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Guests are responsible to pay for everything, absolutely everything.  That is how profitable businesses operate.  No profits, no business 

Sorry! From the management POV, the company is responsible for hiring, training, motivating and retaining. Employees should look to the company with which they have a contract.

Companies need funds from customers. Its management's responsibility to offer the right services and build the right capacity/quality that makes the company profitable. As a pax, I expect HAL to make things work. I don't go after some 18-year old from Jakarta.

Nor am I personally responsible for topping up his wages. I do give extra when I am pleased; and give some when nothing has gone wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You are absolutely correct.  Compensation for crew is already calculated into the fare charged by a cruise line.  So is the depreciation on the ship, the insurance, the fuel, the wholesale cost of the liquor, wine, food, electronic charts, and the pension for the captain and officers.  The staff are being paid an agreed to amount for their labor. This is no different from any other employee of any business.

Thinking that staff compensation isn't something passengers pay for is crazy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry! From the management POV, the company is responsible for hiring, training, motivating and retaining. Employees should look to the company with which they have a contract.

Companies need funds from customers. Its management's responsibility to offer the right services and build the right capacity/quality that makes the company profitable. As a pax, I expect HAL to make things work. I don't go after some 18-year old from Jakarta.

Nor am I personally responsible for topping up his wages. I do give extra when I am pleased; and give some when nothing has gone wrong.

The customers only choice is to buy the product or not. Pay the toll or not.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Well said

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

You are absolutely correct.  Compensation for crew is already calculated into the fare charged by a cruise line.  So is the depreciation on the ship, the insurance, the fuel, the wholesale cost of the liquor, wine, food, electronic charts, and the pension for the captain and officers.  The staff are being paid an agreed to amount for their labor. This is no different from any other employee of any business.

Thinking that staff compensation isn't something passengers pay for is crazy.

Can't wait until I have my rotator cuff surgery next fall and along with paying my deductible there is a separate line for tipping the surgeon and staff for services rendered.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2