No gratuities on Princess Aust cruises?

Not just Princess  Any Carnival Cruise Line owned company using AUD on board and cruising from This area does not have gratuities nor grats added to their drinks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorri111 said:

Thanks, did not know that applies to drinks as well. Cool!

We pay anyway. Just like everywhere else in Aus, taxes, fees, charges are just included in the ticket price. So, it is fair that the price you see when you book is inclusive of any service charges, and the menu price of any drink is inclusive of any service charges.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

We pay anyway. Just like everywhere else in Aus, taxes, fees, charges are just included in the ticket price. So, it is fair that the price you see when you book is inclusive of any service charges, and the menu price of any drink is inclusive of any service charges.

I agree, I would always rather have it included upfront as part of the cost rather than have to worry about it afterwards.

• Like 5

Just had some discussions with various nationalities onboard and the all agree, that paying the price advertised is preferable and some wish their particular country would do the same.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Just had some discussions with various nationalities onboard and the all agree, that paying the price advertised is preferable and some wish their particular country would do the same.

I wish they would just be included in the price, there has been some discussions on other boards about this subject. Of course there are many differing opinions and rumours about the result of including the "crew appreciation" in the price. I'm afraid that the "tipping culture" has gotten out of hand in North America. The other day I got a "tip?" prompt at the liquor store. I recently saw an ad on TV for a cruise tthe audio said $899.00 plus tax. The graphic on screen showed $899.00 + $427.00 taxes and fees. I hate that, just tell the price.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I wish they would just be included in the price, there has been some discussions on other boards about this subject. Of course there are many differing opinions and rumours about the result of including the "crew appreciation" in the price. I'm afraid that the "tipping culture" has gotten out of hand in North America. The other day I got a "tip?" prompt at the liquor store. I recently saw an ad on TV for a cruise tthe audio said $899.00 plus tax. The graphic on screen showed $899.00 + $427.00 taxes and fees. I hate that, just tell the price.

Totally agree! All I want is the bottom line! Showing the price before tax is the 'hook', then you get 'by the way the tax to be added on to that brings the price up to $..............'. It comes perilously close the false advertising in my opinion.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

Luckily Australia is still immune from the US tipping culture, long may it remain so!

I'm not sure "Immune" is an appropriate term. I'm sure there are and will be plenty of American tourist who will be more than happy to try and buy servers with a fiver and expect instant service with a smile all day, no matter what rude things they may do. I am of course generalizing, and I guess there are Canadians that operate the same way.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, lorri111 said:

Luckily Australia is still immune from the US tipping culture, long may it remain so!

Not completely, it's trying to creep in here unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not completely, it's trying to creep in here unfortunately.

Doesn't seem to matter how many times you ask tourists not to tip, some of them persist.  I'm not sure it it's just culturally embedded or just being rude; as if our culture has less importance than theirs. 

By way of making my point; whenever I visit another country, I do my utmost to adhere to their cultural norms.  For example, when in an Asian country I would never touch a child's head but at home there's barely a moment when a grandchild or friends grandchild passes me when I don't ruffle their hair or bend down to kiss their little foreheads.  

• Like 7

@Bubbeh I'm afraid that it is mostly arrogance. "Look at me the valuable tourist" helping out your pitiful economy with my largess. And just to make more of a point I will buy your fealty with my "Universal" currency. We tip well in a restaurant with service, when the service is good. We have been known to tip low or not at all when we had poor service. Gratuities are unfortunately part of the culture in North America and getting more out of hand. We will NOT be "those tourists" trying to buy good service, we will be those Canadians expecting to be treated with resect, by our friendly server who we will give back that resect with please and thankyou. (It's the Canadian way eh)

• Like 8

Currently on HAL. Australian fare purchase. Paid credit crew appreciation. Have their Have it All package.

Everything you buy however is subject to plus 18%. While there's a lot to like about HAL compared to Princess the practice of billing you through your card AND then giving you a receipt you have to sign,  is absolutely ridiculous. Besides slowing the service measurably, it has a space for "Additional tip". This is after there being an 18% service charge! I've already seen $1 bills on display. The cinic in me suspects this is the reason this archaic process continues.

I am gleefully ignoring the additional tip "suggestion". 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@Bubbeh I'm afraid that it is mostly arrogance. "Look at me the valuable tourist" helping out your pitiful economy with my largess. And just to make more of a point I will buy your fealty with my "Universal" currency. We tip well in a restaurant with service, when the service is good. We have been known to tip low or not at all when we had poor service. Gratuities are unfortunately part of the culture in North America and getting more out of hand. We will NOT be "those tourists" trying to buy good service, we will be those Canadians expecting to be treated with resect, by our friendly server who we will give back that resect with please and thankyou. (It's the Canadian way eh)

Just consider that in all purchases made in NZ and Aus, you have already pre-paid your tip.  It's included in the price.

2 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Just consider that in all purchases made in NZ and Aus, you have already pre-paid your tip.  It's included in the price.

That's a very good way of looking at it.  We pay our people a living wage for a reason.

• Like 2

I have been aware of the no tipping policy for some time. That is why in my posts I often refer to something as "included in the price" when others may say "free" or "complimentary". The funny thing about "gratuities" is you can at least withhold them if the service is bad. The optimist in me says the servers will be professional and all will be well.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have been aware of the no tipping policy for some time. That is why in my posts I often refer to something as "included in the price" when others may say "free" or "complimentary". The funny thing about "gratuities" is you can at least withhold them if the service is bad. The optimist in me says the servers will be professional and all will be well.

While I take you point, I never met anyone who went to work with the intention of doing a bad job.  I may be naive, but this has honestly been my experience.  Poor service is more often a result of poor management practices and frequently stems from lack of training, insufficient staff recognition and (non financial) reward.  Good bosses will attract good staff.

• Like 7

What irks me re north America tipping culture is the % increase over time. Once was 10% then 12% > 15% > 18% > 20%. Seems the employers give employees a raise but it's left to the customer to pay it. Looks like a "Clayton's" raise to me.

Edited by lyndarra
for clarity + grammar fix
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

While I take you point, I never met anyone who went to work with the intention of doing a bad job.  I may be naive, but this has honestly been my experience.  Poor service is more often a result of poor management practices and frequently stems from lack of training, insufficient staff recognition and (non financial) reward.  Good bosses will attract good staff.

I agree.

And anyone who is bad enough to scare off customers would be told by management to go and find another vocation.

• Like 5

On 2/10/2024 at 8:51 PM, Bubbeh said:

That's a very good way of looking at it.  We pay our people a living wage for a reason.

what's the average income in Australia vs. U S  ?

20 minutes ago, c-boy said:

has to do with the comment about paying a living wage and whether I should move.

Isn't that why tipping is so much part of US life, because service/wait staff are not paid a living wage by their employer and need tips to earn enough to live on. In Australia, for an adult (21 and over) the National Minimum wage paid per hour is $23.23 with penalty rates on weekends and public holidays. Casual rates are higher - for example a waiter in a cafe will earn around $28 per hour. 

According to Forbes, the average Australian wage, as of 2023, was AU $90,800 (US $59,309.31) and for the USA it was US $59,428 (AU $90,979.84).

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3