Encouragement needed please...long read

Hi 🙂

I am not sure how to start this, but will just dive in. Please forgive my lack of proper writing!!

Long read.. sorry

Female, almost 60, married, non-drinker

I have taken 8 cruises, 4 of them with my husband and all 4 children, 3 with just my husband and I, and my most recent one last March with just my adult daughter. I LOVE CRUISES!!!!!

Less than two years ago I lost my 31 year old son to cancer. From diagnosis to when he passed was a quick hell journey of only 3 and a half months. My daughter (a Registered Nurse) and I were his caregivers. Needless to say I am still pretty broken and griefstricken.

Currently my husband is undergoing treatment for brain cancer. It is slow growing and has a very good prognosis and he is handling treatment very well...he still works full time. However, due to his treatments he cannot get proper travel insurance, and I know the insurance company will try to blame most accidents, etc on his 'brain tumor'. So we just do not feel safe going un- or - under  insured.

Main reason for this is..last cruise he and I took (January 2020) he took his first ever seizure on a beach in Antigua... drowned.. no pulse..no breath . He needed to be revived with CPR etc. We spent a week at the hospital in Antigua until it was safe to fly home. Dealing with that and the insurance company un-nerved me... and I do not want to find myself in a position where I am not sure if we would be financially covered (on top of the already emotional craziness).

My kids all have their own lives and jobs, I have lost several friendships after the death of my son (apparently a common issue), and I find myself alone more and more.

BUT... I WANT TO CRUISE!!!

I spend time on the Celebrity forums and have been reading so many trip reports from solo travellers...especially women. I never thought I would EVER go on a cruise by myself, but now a seed has been planted!

I can travel alone in the sense of I would not be nervous (I am careful and use good judgement), and am confident in that way. I have no issue going to a show alone or to a restaurant alone or flying by myself, etc. In fact I quite enjoy it. I am quite independant.However here are my worries. They may not make sense to you, but perhaps they will.

** My main worry is being sad and lonely and getting depressed and then feeling like an ocean jump is calling. DO NOT BE ALARMED!!! I am NOT suicidal, but I am stressed and grieving. I read of people jumping, I read of people 'being called to the water'.. and that scares me.

I am not really explaining this very well, but I worry I will get on the ship and be having a good time and then suddenly feel very alone and taking an emotional dive with no one around to talk to.

So...for those who travel solo... have you had any experience with that? Has anyone been worried about things like that? Has it happened? What did you do about it?

*** Do you find it hard to make cruise friends? Is it hard to dine alone every meal? Do they have solo events (not singles hook ups.. but just solo)?

**If I did excursions, I would likely go through the ship.. although I never usually do that..I usually do my own thing. But I think I would feel safer doing that solo.

Anyway...I am sure many, many more ideas and questions will come to mind if I keep considering this.

But for now... I just would like some feedback and thoughts on if I should play around with the idea of actually doing a solo cruise .

My husband would be supportive, and he would be fine at home...I would not be leaving him stranded in any way!!

After the loss of my son recently, currently losing a close friend to cancer, and my husband going through all his cancer treatments... time away for myself may be a Godsend. However I worry it would be great for 2 or 3 days and then I would sink into a pit of lonliness and despair. ...dramatic much?!?!?!?  Lol

Thanks for any thoughts and/or encouragement.  🙂

• Like 4

@travelloverontario

Like you, I love to cruise, and also like you I'm married but understand the need for alone time. A solo cruise might work for you (I've greatly enjoyed the four I've taken), but keep in mind that cruising is not the only travel option. Maybe you could initially try a relatively short (three or four day) road trip to a destination far enough away to feel like a real change of scenery but close enough to be able to return home fairly quickly if something "bad" happens. If that goes well, you could consider booking a cruise for your next solo trip.

No matter what you do, you need to attend to your own needs because if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of anyone else---at least not for long. Caregiver burnout is real and it's serious.

Good luck, and maybe you can let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I'd love to know.

Jim

• Like 6

Jim...thanks for the reply.

That is a pretty good idea, to do a shorter trip closer to my home. My concern with that is I would have almost the entire time alone. Drive time would be alone, hiking and activities would be alone, all eating would be alone. That is why I would prefer a cruise. An all inclusive may work but I enjoy a cruise WAY more than an AI.

At least with a cruise, I am with the same people for a week... and it is easier for me to make social connections.  There are also SO many things on a cruise to keep me occupied. So many activities like trivia I can join.. a pool... music, etc.

Where I live I am not sure a road trip would work for me. 

I am heading to Nova Scotia alone this June to see my brother. Travel will be alone, but I will stay with him. I am however spending 2 days in Halifax by myself at the end.. so maybe that will give me an indicator.

The 'old' me would have done this in a heartbeat...but the 'new, but NOT improved' me...the one since my son got sick... is not so sure.

I will keep thinking on it.

I have read some posts about women going alone after their husbands died.... takes a lot of courage.  My son's passing has kind of destoyed my courage, but I am starting think I MAY be able to do this!!!

I appreciate your thoughts.

@travelloverontario

You've clearly given a lot of thought to this, so I think whatever you decide on will work for you. The key thing for you is to build up your self-confidence. I can tell you that when I go somewhere alone, I don't feel intimidated, I don't feel the need to impress people, I don't feel the need to be anything other than myself and do what I feel like doing. Don't let the (perceived) judgments of other people control you. If they "get" you, fine. If not, it's their loss. You know who you are. Be confident and be strong.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so I love travelling solo but even I got “homesick” on my last trip. I had made great cruise friends but was missing my bf terribly. Being able to reach out to home made all the difference. So get the wifi package if you need and know they are just a click away if you’re lonely.

Cruising solo is great but I will say celebrity isn’t the best for solo events. I never had an issue however and made friends on my celebrity cruises with couples or families who took me in.

• Like 2

Good morning, first, my condolences on the loss of your son and my best to your husband.

As for the length of your original post and all the background.......not sure I am going to hit on all of it but I can tell you I have been cruising solo for over 20 years. It is the only way I sail. I have lived on my own for about 95% of my adult life (I am 65). For me? I LOVE cruising too. It is my vacation of choice.

As for the emotional part of your scenario,  I rarely feel lonely and when I look out over the wake from my balcony I just sort of feel at peace. I have always been able to meet other folks very easily and for me, its even easier on a ship. Most people are quite friendly and there is always that "what is common" question.......have you sailed with xx before? Or have you been on xxx ship before? It is a general ice breaker really.

As for dinner? I have frequently met other guests, both solo and non solo and have dined with them many times. I am really in a category for me, that doesn't care about marital status. If you are married, divorced, etc...etc.....it just depends on the person, not what their marital status happens to be.

Anyway, I agree about taking care of yourself. Getting on that cruise ship and having all the time to do things for you,  might be easier than you think😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So very sorry for what you are going through.  I say try it.  If you don't like it, don't go again but you will know.  I love cruising, my husband not so much.  

I went through a very stressful life situation about 10 years ago and needed some time away and went on my 1st solo cruise.  It was a 5 night and just enough to know I loved it.  Most folks are very friendly and it's pretty easy to strike up a conversation.  I've been on 60+ cruises and now have done about 10 solo.  My most recent was an 11 night last Nov on Princess.  I am just off a family cruise with my siblings/spouses yesterday and now know why I love cruising solo.  I am only responsible for myself. 

Personally, at this time in my life (I'm 65) Princess is my favorite cruise line.  Great service, food is good, beautiful ships.  (not many children).

Taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of others.  Book that cruise and hopefully it won't be your last.

• Like 2

Wow, you and your family have been hit with a lot recently!  I doubt anyone can match your situation, but maybe collectively it will help.  It sounds like some time away might be just the thing you need. 

I am a single woman in my 60s, also from Ontario; I've been travelling alone for over 25 years, including cruising alone for the last 10.  In those 10 years, I've met more than a few married women cruising solo, and I have made some very good cruising friends as well - now I share cruise thoughts with them to see if any of us have an interest in taking the same cruise so we can meet up on board.  Sometimes we do (I'm meeting a friend aboard a Panama Canal cruise this spring) and sometimes we don't (I did a Middle East cruise last year knowing nobody aboard).  Some of my cruising friends are solo women, some are couples.

I have had the feeling of suddenly taking an emotional hit on board and feeling badly, but I did not ever think about the railing -- I went to take a nap on deck in the shade (purposely not in my cabin), and almost immediately lost that "bad" feeling.  Cruising helps me to relax, and so it did.  But if you do want to talk to people, there's usually no shortage of them at bars and lounges....Even though you don't drink alcohol, there's no end of things you do drink at the bar, from soda water and lime to a virgin margarita.   Actually sitting AT the bar is a good way to start chatting with people, if you want to. 

Most cruise lines will have some amount of solo events - usually not my thing, but it does allow to at least see who else is sailing solo.  My thought is that I don't care if the people I meet are sailing solo or not, and it's not only solo travellers who want to meet other travellers.  Dining alone every night can be a drag, especially in a more formal atmosphere like the main dining room, but it's not the major part of my day.  Some cruise lines allow you to be seated with other people who are looking to share their table, and I really like that.  It's usually easier at breakfast and lunch more than dinner.

If a ship-sponsored excursion is what you want, then do it.....Don't let other people tell you that there are better or cheaper excursions that you can arrange yourself.  Sometimes being on a cruise vacation is about not having to arrange anything by yourself, so if it fits the bill of what you want, then do it.  Or if not even getting off the ship at a port is what you want, then don't  - I love sea days most of all when cruising, and sometimes don't get off the ship in port.  I cruise for cruising, not port stops. 

• Like 3

Hello,  I have experienced something a bit similar to what you have gone through but not quite as daunting.  I won’t get into a lot of details here because it would involve spirituality and this is not that type of forum. You know that you were/are loved and appreciated for all you did for your loved ones.  You may end up feeling an incredible sense of peace and calm while out on the ocean if you accept that the love you showed to others will come back to you, and you will feel it and be comforted, but you must allow yourself to be open to it.  Your loved ones would want you to go forward in happiness.

I’m sharing this thought with you because someone once did the same for me, and it made all the difference in the world.  I only hope that these positive words will make the same difference for you.

Edited by Milangel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:48 PM, travelloverontario said:

here are my worries. They may not make sense to you, but perhaps they will.

** My main worry is being sad and lonely and getting depressed and then feeling like an ocean jump is calling. DO NOT BE ALARMED!!! I am NOT suicidal, but I am stressed and grieving. I read of people jumping, I read of people 'being called to the water'.. and that scares me.

I am not really explaining this very well, but I worry I will get on the ship and be having a good time and then suddenly feel very alone and taking an emotional dive with no one around to talk to.

So...for those who travel solo... have you had any experience with that? Has anyone been worried about things like that? Has it happened? What did you do about it?

*** Do you find it hard to make cruise friends? Is it hard to dine alone every meal? Do they have solo events (not singles hook ups.. but just solo)?

**If I did excursions, I would likely go through the ship.. although I never usually do that..I usually do my own thing. But I think I would feel safer doing that solo.

I should warn you that I'm a guy, which may or may not be a useful perspective for you to have.

I enjoyed reading your story.  Not because I took pleasure in you or your family's struggles - but I could see some of myself in there.

Anyway, I think I understand the calling to the sea better than you expect I would.  I've had feelings of loneliness, both on land and on ships.  There are defenses for this - first, those railings are high and nobody goes over without a lot of effort.  Second, it's very tough to go through a cruise ship window or porthole - and impossible to worm your way through an interior cabin.  Third, I think of all the people who like me or rely on me.  They wouldn't want me to go and would miss me when I'm gone.  I'm sure you have a bigger fan club than I do.  And finally, there's almost always something fun to do on a ship - most often with other people involved.  I always bring my own entertainment when I travel.  Perhaps you can do the same.

Sorry.  That got a little darker than I intended.  Let's lighten things up with some better news.

I've found that cruisers are very friendly and easy to get to know - and even becoming friends with, if that's what you want.  There are exceptions, but not too many.  I dine alone for almost every meal on a cruise.  It's not a problem for me, because I've dined alone for most meals IRL.  If you want to dine with others while cruising solo, it seems easy, but I'll defer to others on the mechanics of it.

As for singles events, Norwegian has their solo meetups nightly.  Other cruise lines have solo meetups most days.  These are unhosted by crew, mostly unfocused, and tend to be poorly attended - but yours might be the exception.

I WISH (sometimes) cruise lines had singles hookups, but I have yet to see one advertised in their newsletters.  But that's a story for another post, maybe.

I've done a fair number of cruise ship excursions.  They can be fun.  You'll probably be with a big crowd of people, which can protect and comfort you.  

I see many cruises in your future, so enjoy them. 🙂

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

I want to thank you all for your responses. Yes, we have and continue to have a tough go.

It is comforting to know that some of you have felt homesick but were able to overcome it.

You have passed along some very concrete ideas I had not thought of. One..  maybe just get an oceanview cabin instead of a balcony (just in case..lol).

Two... get a premium wifi package. I have never gotten any wifi package and love not using my phone while cruising, however in this case, being able to speak with my daughter or husband may make all the difference. Is the premium wifi strong enough to facetime?

Three... that if/when I start feeling that dark pit of dread... to go somewhere public for a nap or  do something to clear my head... and to purposely NOT stay in the cabin.

Four.. I can still visit and sit at the bar to chat and meet others and just buy a virgin drink...might be fun actually!

I prefer at least 7 night cruises, as it is often a different clientelle and not as much of a party feel. It also doesn't make practical sense for me to go through all of the expense and effort to fly all the way to Florida for just a 3 or 5 night cruise. But honestly, maybe a shorter cruise is worth considering given the circumstances. But then again... that may end up being more stressful..lol

Maybe I will try to do a short road trip near where I live (as someone suggested) just for a night or 2, and see how I feel. Even if I end up visiting a friend or something...at least most of the roadtrip would be solo. I am going to Nova Scotia again by myself soon, so that will also be telling. Even though I will be staying with him, part of my travels will be solo. (I flew there alone last April as well...but again, was with him and his wife the whole time there).

I feel pulled to do this...to book a cruise solo.. but then fear creeps in. Not fear of cruising, not fear of 'being' alone... but the fear of 'feeling' alone and of things going dark. Of seeing people there with their family...their spouse...their kids.. their friends... etc.

And then feeling very alone and isolated and 'sorry for myself' that I do not have that (even if it is not true..often feelings are irrational).

You have all given me things to think about and I will continue to ponder.

Again... thank you for your encouragement!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree about the different clientele on a longer cruise, and I very much recommend it.  Nothing would get me on a 3 or 5 day cruise, and that goes double because of the time it takes to travel there and make.  The more cruising I've done, the longer I like my cruises - now, anything less than 2 weeks seems a waste. 

• Like 2

First of all I am very sorry for the loss of your son. I can't imagine anything harder than losing a child. I'm also very sorry for what you are going through with your husband.

My husband passed away eleven years ago. We used to travel a lot. After sitting around feeling sorry for myself for a couple of years I decided to try solo travel. My first trip was just to a National Park near me for one night. It did feel a bit strange, but it was OK. Next I decided to go to Vancouver Island for eight nights. Well, after four nights I was very homesick and I had had enough so I changed my flights and came home early. Since then I have gradually been increasing the length and scope of my solo trips and this past summer I went to France for three weeks. I have my first solo cruise coming up in a couple of weeks., so we'll see how that goes. It will be my first one without him, so I am a little bit nervous, but it will probably be fine. 

My point is, for your first solo trip I would recommend something shorter, where it is easier to bail if you feel overwhelmed, homesick or sad and like you just don't want to be there any longer. 

I wish you all the best. 

• Like 1

Celebrity is one of my favorites to cruise solo.  Especially on the M class.  But there are travel insurance companies that cover pre existing conditions, as long as you purchase the policy the same day you make your initial deposit.  

On 2/10/2024 at 5:48 PM, travelloverontario said:

Hi 🙂

I am not sure how to start this, but will just dive in. Please forgive my lack of proper writing!!

Long read.. sorry

Female, almost 60, married, non-drinker

I have taken 8 cruises, 4 of them with my husband and all 4 children, 3 with just my husband and I, and my most recent one last March with just my adult daughter. I LOVE CRUISES!!!!!

Less than two years ago I lost my 31 year old son to cancer. From diagnosis to when he passed was a quick hell journey of only 3 and a half months. My daughter (a Registered Nurse) and I were his caregivers. Needless to say I am still pretty broken and griefstricken.

Currently my husband is undergoing treatment for brain cancer. It is slow growing and has a very good prognosis and he is handling treatment very well...he still works full time. However, due to his treatments he cannot get proper travel insurance, and I know the insurance company will try to blame most accidents, etc on his 'brain tumor'. So we just do not feel safe going un- or - under  insured.

Main reason for this is..last cruise he and I took (January 2020) he took his first ever seizure on a beach in Antigua... drowned.. no pulse..no breath . He needed to be revived with CPR etc. We spent a week at the hospital in Antigua until it was safe to fly home. Dealing with that and the insurance company un-nerved me... and I do not want to find myself in a position where I am not sure if we would be financially covered (on top of the already emotional craziness).

My kids all have their own lives and jobs, I have lost several friendships after the death of my son (apparently a common issue), and I find myself alone more and more.

BUT... I WANT TO CRUISE!!!

I spend time on the Celebrity forums and have been reading so many trip reports from solo travellers...especially women. I never thought I would EVER go on a cruise by myself, but now a seed has been planted!

I can travel alone in the sense of I would not be nervous (I am careful and use good judgement), and am confident in that way. I have no issue going to a show alone or to a restaurant alone or flying by myself, etc. In fact I quite enjoy it. I am quite independant.However here are my worries. They may not make sense to you, but perhaps they will.

Anyway...I am sure many, many more ideas and questions will come to mind if I keep considering this.

But for now... I just would like some feedback and thoughts on if I should play around with the idea of actually doing a solo cruise .

My husband would be supportive, and he would be fine at home...I would not be leaving him stranded in any way!!

After the loss of my son recently, currently losing a close friend to cancer, and my husband going through all his cancer treatments... time away for myself may be a Godsend. However I worry it would be great for 2 or 3 days and then I would sink into a pit of lonliness and despair. ...dramatic much?!?!?!?  Lol

Thanks for any thoughts and/or encouragement.  🙂

I am so sorry for all the losses you have endured and the stress of your husband's illness.  Reading through your post, I can understand a lot of it, being a solo traveler myself.  But the part that scared me is your worry that you might feel a "calling to the water" if you ever got glum.  That might not technically be "suicidal" but its scary.  or maybe you just have a very creative  mind. As lonely as I've sometimes gotten traveling by myself it has never occurred to me that jumping overboard would be an option.  The thought of how that would affect anyone around me when I did it, or the crew responsible for trying to find me  would bring me back quick. Suicidal people dont think of the consequences to others of their actions.  As a young teenager I was unfortunate enough to be at a table next to a man who slit his wrists at the table (not kidding) next to me.  It took decades for me to get over that.  Maybe you should take some more time. I know if you wait longer your husband might get to a point you wouldnt feel comfortable leaving him. That's a negative about waiting. Do you have someone you could take one cruise with just to unwind? That person wouldnt be signing themselves up for a lifetime of being a travel partner. Even if, as you said, you are not suicidal, you could get to a point where you would be extremely miserable and that's no fun at all and I also think it wouldnt help you with what you need right now. I recommend a friend or relative who would go with you.

I'm a solo female traveller who struggles with depression, so while I can't speak to the horror of losing a child (as I'm child-free), I can speak to some of the fears. (Please note that I pretty much only cruise on Cunard, so some of my comments may be specific to that line.) 

I took my first cruise (a transatlantic on QM2) after losing a partner suddenly and unexpectedly in 2016. She and I had always talked about doing a TA, but hadn't gotten around to it, so after she passed, I took that first trip 'in her honour', as it were (about a year later.) I fell in love with it, and have done two more TAs and 3 other cruises, since then. My nesting partner has zero interest in cruising, so I travel solo. 

What do you like to do on cruises? 

I'd recommend booking on a ship with fixed dining times, and requesting a fixed dining time, at a shared table. It can be awkward at first, but it does give you a daily 'touch-point' with people who know your name. (If no one is at your table on the first night, ask the maitre'd to move you to a table that does have people coming to the MDR.) 

If you're a crafter, go to the crafter's meet-up, or walk the ship and find someone else crafting and ask if you can join them. Knitters are friendly! If you're not a knitter/crocheter, but you're interested in learning, pick up some yarn & needles at home, bring them along, and ask in the meet-up if someone can help you! (YouTube is also great for learning, but less likely to encourage conversation.) 

Most ships have solo traveller meetups, although I must admit that I've never attended them, but when I've walked past, they've seemed relatively well attended (at least on Cunard.) 

If you're worried about getting lonely and bored, maybe try a cruise that has a lot of port stops? 

• Like 2

I can't thank you all enough for your thoughful replies 🙂

Most days (or most moments of a day) I feel like I could do this, but there are those bottom times where I feel I would be gutted with lonliness and meaninglessness somehow. 

I think I am going to try a small road trip by myself, although that does not equate to a cruise. On a  road trip I am driving alone...eating alone... sighseeing alone... so it will be far more 'lonely'. One thing I love about cruises is how many activity options there are. I can join a team for trivia, chat with my tablemates at dinner and game shows. Usually we end up running into 'new friends' throughout the cruise, so it seems more like a big group rather than me alone. I can also take group excursions,etc. A solo road trip is SO different. However it may get me used to being alone for a few days and see how I feel about that.

I think being able to call or facetime home would be huge for me! And hopefully find a few connections onboard.

i am really enjoying reading everyone's responses...even if they differ. It gives me some great perspectives!! And I thank you for that.

It gives me great courage to read from those of you who have tried this and really enjoy it!

• Like 1

Have you thought about a river cruise? They are smaller and much easier to meet people.  Depending on the cruise line you choose, excursions are included.  I have not traveled solo on one, but I think I would feel comfortable doing so.

Texasstar... someday I would love to try a river cruise!

But if I try a solo cruise I would prefer to stay closer to home (still far away, but same aide of the world..lol) and in an area I have been a few times before. I think it would just make me feel more comfortable and secure.

Also... sailing with Celebrity brings me some familiarity.

Good idea for the future though...thanks 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I BOOKED!!!

I chose a 10 night Canada/New England cruise. I figured being from Canada it qas a good first step. The first several ports and embarkation port are all in Canada and most I have been to already so feel very comfortable with them. I can also use my phone and regular data at all of those ports (although not at sea).

My brother lives near Halifax so he can come meet me on that day, and maybe even the Charlottetown day as well. That means I will have some company...family company... at least once during the trip.

I will be closer to home and 'feel' closer to home. I thought that may lessen my anxiety. 

I have until June to cancel so I have a bit of time to think about it, but at least it is booked... and that is a great first step.

Perhaps travelling alone and having time alone will also help me process my son's death a little bit. 😞

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

travelloverontario That is a great first step.  I am sure you will have a great time.  I did my first solo sailing in 2022 after losing my spouse of 50 yrs.  I had it booked for us but I went solo due to a promise I made to him.  It was on the Queen Mary 2 for 26 days and it was wonderful.  I missed my kids and grandkids but I would sit on deck and think about all the wonderful cruises we had taken together.  

I will admit I had some very dark times but I just made myself go out of the cabin and at least see people even if I did not talk to them.   Now when I feel sad at home, I know it is time to get on a ship and see the world.  I feel so much better when I get home.

I am so sorry for the loss of you son, I can not even imagine the pain and also praying your husband continues do well.

I am doing my first solo sailing next week on Anthem of the Seas, I am looking forward to comparing it to my Cunard sailing.

Can not wait to hear about your trip when you return.  Please come back and ask any questions you may have or if you just need some one to listen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1