Has Cunard restricted the Q/A capicity to 3000

ace2542

I was at a cruise event on Sunday and the Cunard rep addressing the room said the ship could take 5,200 but Cunard had restricted it 3000 which is slightly over half. Such a restriction would also explain why QM2 never feels full.

Surely Cunard can't be choosing to operate at half capicity?

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I was at a cruise event on Sunday and the Cunard rep addressing the room said the ship could take 5,200 but Cunard had restricted it 3000 which is slightly over half. Such a restriction would also explain why QM2 never feels full.

It seems unlikely as the Statendam, on which she is based, has a capacity of under 3000. 

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It seems unlikely as the Statendam, on which she is based, has a capacity of under 3000. 

The Cunard rep said it could take 5.2. Or is that 5.2 with crew do you reckon? I agree with you wouldn't make any sense to operate 50% full and call yourself full.

I believe what they were implying is that a similarly sized ship if designed by a mass market line with smaller cabins packed with upper berths for families could theoretically hold far more passengers.

Whereas Cunard chose a more upscale layout with more suites, limiting the total passengers.

• Like 9

When cruise ships/Cunard mention guest capacity that refers to 'Berths' often referred to  double occupancy  (or in some staterooms 3  

Cruise ships are never completely full to their stated capacity ,one needs to take into consideration solo guests occupying staterooms for double occupancy    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

When cruise ships/Cunard mention guest capacity that refers to 'Berths' often referred to  double occupancy  (or in some staterooms 3  

Cruise ships are never completely full to their stated capacity ,one needs to take into consideration solo guests occupying staterooms for double occupancy    

And also a few left free in case people have to be moved because of plumbing catastrophes or the like. They may take a particularly cautious view on that on the first few voyages.

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And also a few left free in case people have to be moved because of plumbing catastrophes or the like. They may take a particularly cautious view on that on the first few voyages.

Exactly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

A quick look at the Cunard website would have answered your question. 

2 hours ago, Hoveto said:

No way has she a passenger capacity of 5,000. Her passenger capacity is just over 3,000. With crew it’ totals over 5,009.

It says just over 4,000 in post 4. That arithmetic looks better.

• Like 1

That guy telling about the 5000 did a nice promotion stunt. Doesn´t it sound much better- that Cunard- God bless them- puts only 3000 instead of 5000 on board it´s new ship? Very clever that move- people will tell their friends- " See Cunard does not go for the max pax idea". Never ever was the QA planed for 5000 passengers.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

"A rep at a cruise show" would not be my source of information, frankly. 

This individual, c. 1947, could assert, with some veracity, that "QUEEN MARY can carry 15,000 GI's but for you nice people, we're restricting her capacity to 1,995."

They seem to be trying awful hard though... facts and stats are often countered with pretzel making and squinting.   You judge what is the most reliable in the end. 

• Like 2

At 5000 passengers Queen Anne would have a passenger space ratio of  22, which even the massive family ships beat, it would be the most dense ship on the water . So rep was talking rubbish.

With a Passenger space ratio of 37, QA is a bit better than P&Os big ships at 35, but not in a different league.  Cunard ships are mass market.  Nice mass market , but space wise except  QM2 ,  the queens are nothing to shout about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

At 5000 passengers Queen Anne would have a passenger space ratio of  22, which even the massive family ships beat, it would be the most dense ship on the water . So rep was talking rubbish.

With a Passenger space ratio of 37, QA is a bit better than P&Os big ships at 35, but not in a different league.  Cunard ships are mass market.  Nice mass market , but space wise except  QM2 ,  the queens are nothing to shout about.

Yet all three of them always feel so empty. It is most mysterious.

• Like 3

The Queen Anne holds a max (all berths filled) at 2,996 with 1225 total crew. I think what he's referring to is the Queen Anne is large enough to have accommodated 5,000 passengers but capped it 2,996. In no way would Cunard operate the ship at 50% capacity. He's just trying to emphasize the spaciousness of the ship. All marketing fluff. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Yet all three of them always feel so empty. It is most mysterious.

Depends where you are, with 25% of outside space (not QM2) taken up by grills deck, the passenger space ratio (for outside space) for non grills passengers is below par. 

11 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Depends where you are, with 25% of outside space (not QM2) taken up by grills deck, the passenger space ratio (for outside space) for non grills passengers is below par. 

Really? I spend quite a lot of time ambling around the prom deck (which the new ship is apparently not going to have) on the Vistas, and it never seems very busy. It must be the times I pick, I suppose.

• Like 1

Really? I spend quite a lot of time ambling around the prom deck (which the new ship is apparently not going to have) on the Vistas, and it never seems very busy. It must be the times I pick, I suppose.

and me and my times of day vary.

I do my deck three laps and manage it very well.

I think I will leave the speculation and find out the reality. As we have quite a few QA bookings, I'll have plenty of time to suss that out.

28 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and me and my times of day vary.

I do my deck three laps and manage it very well.

I think I will leave the speculation and find out the reality. As we have quite a few QA bookings, I'll have plenty of time to suss that out.

Well, so far, all I can say is that I think the mdr looks gorgeous in the artist’s impression, and I don’t much like the bright green sofa in the Q2. Neither of these are very likely to impinge on me in reality.

Well, so far, all I can say is that I think the mdr looks gorgeous in the artist’s impression, and I don’t much like the bright green sofa in the Q2. Neither of these are very likely to impinge on me in reality.

Don't think the sofa looks at all comfortable.

Hope it's not style over substance. The arm chairs look OK.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It seems that PG is the sweet spot for being on QA to gain access to all that outside space, even though those cabins are smaller than PG on the other ships.