Regal Princess - Premier Package and Deck 7

beshears

We ordered the most expensive package ($80 per day), I think it is called Premier. I just watched a recent Regal You Tube video cruising out of the Galveston, TX area. This lady had the package and said, when she ordered (she knew she could not get alcohol while in Galveston) soda, they CHARGED her for this while in Galveston. She couldn't understand why they would CHARGE for the soda with this package while being in Galveston. If you have this package and you have cruised within the past month or so and ASK for soda while in the Galveston area, were you able to get it with this package without a charge?

I understand that Deck 7 is the deck that a person can walk from one end of the ship to the other end. If this is the case, can that be done outside, or is it done through the inside of the ship?

• Like 1

@beshears, my understanding from reading threads regarding using Plus or Premier while sailing from Galveston say the ship has given a $25 OBC  to help offset costs you may incur for not being able to use your drinks packages while in Texas waters.

Certain Alcohol drinks ARE available but will come with a cost no matter if you have a package, until you are in international waters and your drink packages are ‘active’. I thought the Texas restrictions were for alcohol drinks only, but may pertain to ANY beverages? 

It usually only takes a few hours from Galveston port departure to reach international waters, so you can use the $25 OBC to indulge in the limited selections.

Royal class ships do not have a traditional outside promenade that you can walk outside around the entire ship. Using Deck7 to go from the front of the ship to the back, you will be using inside pathways. Please refer to the deck plans available on Princess.com under onboard our ships.

15 hours ago, beshears said:

We ordered the most expensive package ($80 per day), I think it is called Premier. I just watched a recent Regal You Tube video cruising out of the Galveston, TX area. This lady had the package and said, when she ordered (she knew she could not get alcohol while in Galveston) soda, they CHARGED her for this while in Galveston. She couldn't understand why they would CHARGE for the soda with this package while being in Galveston. If you have this package and you have cruised within the past month or so and ASK for soda while in the Galveston area, were you able to get it with this package without a charge?

I understand that Deck 7 is the deck that a person can walk from one end of the ship to the other end. If this is the case, can that be done outside, or is it done through the inside of the ship?

You can walk forward to aft outside on the promenade deck. You can't go all the way around the ship as in Grand class ships, but you can go basically from just behind the theater all the way aft outdoors.. some parts are quite narrow, but you're outside and views and sounds of sea . 

There's a wide more comfortable seating area outside Crooners and outside the jewelry store on the other side 

Video showing the walk:

15 hours ago, beshears said:

Blame Texas laws for the lack of alcohol. It makes no difference whether you have a package or not. This is all on Texas not Princess  

• Like 2

Reedprincess, thank you for sharing the walk (as far as it would go) on deck 7.

Memoak, I know that while in Galveston/TX a person could NOT get liquor, but I was WONDERING why they would be charging for soda, while still in TX with the package?

• Like 1

It is a Texas sate law regarding the alcohol sales. It is not that you can not buy alcohol, you can buy wine and beer 7 days a week but not hard alcohol on Sunday's. It is a tax thing that the state wants the sales tax for the drinks that are sold on board ship until it is out to sea. The other thing to remember is when you sail back there were 2 nice ladies from the state of Texas that want to charge you tax on any alcohol you bring off the ship. Yes this included my duty free Patron we bought on board.

• Like 1

It's TX liquor laws. Something to do with only being able to sell/serve liquor/drinks sourced in or TX tax paid on said drinks.  While in TX waters, only those drinks made, sourced or tax paid on such available.  Very limited options, including soda, booze, etc.  

You'll receive $25 OBC to cover any purchases while packages and/or full bar service is unavailable.   

There's a few sodas and booze options available during that time, but not the full bar..

And yes, upon return to TX, you're supposed to declare any booze purchased abroad or aboard and pay TX liquor tax on it.  Anything bought aboard will be declared for you, while whatever you buy independently is up to you to declare and pay. 

• Like 1

If I recall correctly there are two Teas issues. One is that while in Texas waters they can only sell liquor that was paid for and taxed in Texas. The other is that Texas law does not allow drink packages to be sold or used in that state 

I made the video you're referring to and thank you for grasping what most people don't - my main issue was with not being allowed to use the package for soda. Not that they were charging for liquor. Texas liquor laws do not apply to non-alcoholic beverages. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 7:35 PM, memoak said:

Blame Texas laws for the lack of alcohol. It makes no difference whether you have a package or not. This is all on Texas not Princess  

This may be up for debate honestly.  On another board it seems that Royal Caribbean sailing out of Galveston allows the use of a beverage package while in Texas waters and does not charge guests while in port using these packages.  Princess seems to be the one restricting use of the packages, which I witnessed on the Regal last November.  Again, this was coming from multiple people that stated their experiences on RC which I have not personally experienced.

Why the difference between lines?  I can only speculate.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dudleydog73 said:

This may be up for debate honestly.  On another board it seems that Royal Caribbean sailing out of Galveston allows the use of a beverage package while in Texas waters and does not charge guests while in port using these packages.  Princess seems to be the one restricting use of the packages, which I witnessed on the Regal last November.  Again, this was coming from multiple people that stated their experiences on RC which I have not personally experienced.

Not just PCL, CCL out of Texas doesn't start their drink package until the 2nd day. IDNK when the mouse or NCL starts their package. One can only guess it might be CCL wants the passengers to pay the liquor tax and not them. The saga continues............................

• Like 1

Nobody is answering OP's question about soda.

Any soda that they can shoot from the gun is included. Any canned soda, you have to pay for.

Completely stupid, IMO. But red bulls are included for some reason.

4 hours ago, beshears said:

So Tweetie if I understand right, even IF we have the Premier package, we cannot even order soda on the ship, while in TX, right?

Correct - we were told the only thing they could serve us without charge was water. They will sell you a soda and tell you that the $25 onboard credit for the "inconvenience" of sailing out of Galveston should make up for it. I am honestly surprised they haven't changed this policy since November when I was onboard. 

2 hours ago, Dudleydog73 said:

Again, this was coming from multiple people that stated their experiences on RC which I have not personally experienced.

I have been on many sailings out of Galveston on RC and can confirm that the drink packages work from the moment of boarding - they do have a limited menu which is what Texas law does actually stipulate. Princess has made up their own rules, that don't even align with what their parent company CCL does in the same waters. 

22 hours ago, cruisepest said:

It is a Texas sate law regarding the alcohol sales. It is not that you can not buy alcohol, you can buy wine and beer 7 days a week but not hard alcohol on Sunday's. It is a tax thing that the state wants the sales tax for the drinks that are sold on board ship until it is out to sea. The other thing to remember is when you sail back there were 2 nice ladies from the state of Texas that want to charge you tax on any alcohol you bring off the ship. Yes this included my duty free Patron we bought on board.

Yes! we just learned this the hard way!  we purchased special bottles of Rum in December and it was irritating to pay taxes in Galveston. Never again.

3 hours ago, shiner6 said:

Yes! we just learned this the hard way!  we purchased special bottles of Rum in December and it was irritating to pay taxes in Galveston. Never again.

This is done after you have clear CBP and down towards the exit. They  only ask if you bought any liquor, they do not search. As for you, YMMV

6 hours ago, CC Rider 69 said:

IDNK when the mouse or NCL starts their package.

Disney does not have drink packages.  We have not sailed out of Galveston since pre-Covid, but if I recall correctly the bars were not open until we were a few miles out.  Disney does allow each adult to bring 2 bottles of wine and a 6 pack of beer, so probably enough for most folks on the first afternoon.

9 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

Correct - we were told the only thing they could serve us without charge was water. They will sell you a soda and tell you that the $25 onboard credit for the "inconvenience" of sailing out of Galveston should make up for it. I am honestly surprised they haven't changed this policy since November when I was onboard. 

I have been on many sailings out of Galveston on RC and can confirm that the drink packages work from the moment of boarding - they do have a limited menu which is what Texas law does actually stipulate. Princess has made up their own rules, that don't even align with what their parent company CCL does in the same waters. 

Texas law does not stipulate a limited menu. It does stipulate that alcohol sold in Texas (including Texas waters) must be be bought from Texas wholesalers and have Texas excise tax paid on it.  Cruiselines choose to serve a limited drink menu in Texas waters to minimize the amount on Texas-purchased alcohol they have to buy and stock.

CCL is not the parent company of Princess. Carnival Cruise Line and Princess are both subsidiaries of Carnival Corporation.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Texas law does not stipulate a limited menu. It does stipulate that alcohol sold in Texas (including Texas waters) must be be bought from Texas wholesalers and have Texas excise tax paid on it.  Cruiselines choose to serve a limited drink menu in Texas waters to minimize the amount on Texas-purchased alcohol they have to buy and stock.

CCL is not the parent company of Princess. Carnival Cruise Line and Princess are both subsidiaries of Carnival Corporation.

I trust you were able to deduce my point from my apparently flawed commentary. Cheers! (CCL is the ticker symbol.)

Edited by So_Tweetie