Bringing food onboard

smag873

Maybe a strange question, but under the guidelines that allow "prepackaged" foods to be brought onboard, would I be able to bring packaged/sealed cheese & meat (like sausage or prosciutto)? We plan on enjoying sail away from our balcony, and I would love to enjoy some charcuterie as a light snack while we take in the views, but ordering a cheese tray through the ship is ridiculously expensive.

3 minutes ago, smag873 said:

Maybe a strange question, but under the guidelines that allow "prepackaged" foods to be brought onboard, would I be able to bring packaged/sealed cheese & meat (like sausage or prosciutto)? We plan on enjoying sail away from our balcony, and I would love to enjoy some charcuterie as a light snack while we take in the views, but ordering a cheese tray through the ship is ridiculously expensive.

You could pick up some fixin's at the buffet and/or the Observation lounge.

The cheese selection will be limited; not likely to find prosciutto, though I did see some during my recent cruise.

"Sealed" food items are allowed.

44 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Prepackaged foods must be factory sealed. Things like granola bars/etc. I wouldn't bring meat or cheese.

Yes, I was thinking of packaged, factory sealed items, like this. 

11a7a232-a2fc-4471-b7b3-4b727f534881.jpg

• Like 1

well, they wouldn't be "sneaking" it; they'd be taking it onboard in their carry on luggage.

prepackaged meat and cheese is absolutely allowed (assuming a USA departure port), but that's more like vacuum-sealed charcuterie-type products and not deli meats with cellophane wrap over a styrofoam base.

that being said, i'm in the camp that all concerned would be better off with buffet food or observation lounge snacks. or just a cocktail or two on the balcony, followed by a meal in any restaurant. it's just easier all around, but, yes, you can bring prepackaged and factory-sealed food onboard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 2:22 PM, smag873 said:

Yes, I was thinking of packaged, factory sealed items, like this. 

11a7a232-a2fc-4471-b7b3-4b727f534881.jpg

You can try.  But, I'm thinking "NO"!  They are strict about fruits, cheeses, animal products (which is what that picture is).  They'd confiscate it.  And, I doubt they'd give it back at the end of the cruise because of spoilage.

To flesh out my earlier post.

Admittedly it was NZ or Australia but the Freestyle Daily, every day, had the following

image.png.5daac0883646d458aaa18efea583a727.png

While both countries are paranoid about importing pests and diseases I should imagine most countries have a watered down version of those statements.   At some ports there were "food sniffing dogs" working.

I have seen similar in other parts of the world too.

Unless you can get an OK from NCL and the port authorities to take those foods on board i would not bother; there is plenty of good food on board.

Just a FYI that one of the main dining rooms will be open on embarkation day for a nice, relaxing sit down lunch.  The view from your balcony may or may not be anything special or relaxing while you are still in port and you may find it noisy too.  There are cold cuts, cheeses and other munchies (olives, breads, etc.) available in the buffet.  We have found it useful to bring a small plastic tray ($1 from Ikea) in our luggage.  We started packing one when we used to cruise with a bunch of small kids and we still bring it since i takes up no room and it is handy for "balcony picnics".  (Other passengers will ask you how you got a tray.)

In our own experience it also depends on the port.  Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand are very strict about transporting foods.  Tropical ports seem more concerned than European ports (factory sealed ham products are very popular souvenirs in Spain, for example).  Ports in Northern Europe (Scandinavia and the Baltics) seem to care not at all.  I've always assumed that is because invasive pests are likely to survive in warm countries but your banana seeds won't grow in Norway anyway.

I don't think NCL actually cares if you bring pre-packaged food onboard -or take food with you for that matter. Warnings are more with respect to port restrictions, although for the most part, they use the same wording for every port.

So if you are going through port security (coming or going) you're subject to those rules - and possibly the ability of their dogs to sniff out any food. If it's just ship security, they don't usually check your bags getting off the ship, don't always seem too concerned about what you bring back, as long as it isn't dangerous or something illegal.

FYI, trying to bring back shells from their private island can get you detained! (not me, but the person ahead of me).

I think ship security at ports of call are more intent on looking for things like bottles and weapons. If your food is not visible (regular bag vs clear bag), it just goes unnoticed by the person doing the screening.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text