Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

Regarding the MDR. We have late dining & noticed the delay on our first night.  We now decide what we want from looking at the App.  So soon as waiter comes we order & hope it comes in a timely manner.  Last night it certainly went smooth.  When we were on the Eurodam in November we were in and out in an hour which is what we expected on the Koningsdam.  I am hopeful after our 1 hour in & our last night the trend continues.  

• Like 1

@BermudaBound2014 I did see the photos and it looks pretty nice & spacious. I just worry about feeling “trapped” if I can’t sit on my balcony and enjoy the outside without being around other people. You know, sometimes just wanting & enjoying solitude. 

@canadianbear I would still buy WiFi as I wouldn’t want to not have any contact with my husband or other friends/family while on such a long trip. When I looked at adding HIA to next year’s Hawaii/Tahiti trip in a solo cabin, they wanted close to 5K additional $ for it. I’m pretty sure WiFi and by-the-drink costs would come in way less than that. I’d want to make sure AARP OBC & shareholder OBC could still be available, although not necessarily a dealbreaker. If you do the Alaska trip in a solo, I think it’s only available on Konigsdam as far as the Alaska ships go. For our upcoming transatlantic in April, my mom & I each have our own balcony rooms (connecting) and we paid the double occupancy rate for each of them. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ORTravelGal said:

@BermudaBound2014 I did see the photos and it looks pretty nice & spacious. I just worry about feeling “trapped” if I can’t sit on my balcony and enjoy the outside without being around other people. You know, sometimes just wanting & enjoying solitude. 

@canadianbear I would still buy WiFi as I wouldn’t want to not have any contact with my husband or other friends/family while on such a long trip. When I looked at adding HIA to next year’s Hawaii/Tahiti trip in a solo cabin, they wanted close to 5K additional $ for it. I’m pretty sure WiFi and by-the-drink costs would come in way less than that. I’d want to make sure AARP OBC & shareholder OBC could still be available, although not necessarily a dealbreaker. If you do the Alaska trip in a solo, I think it’s only available on Konigsdam as far as the Alaska ships go. For our upcoming transatlantic in April, my mom & I each have our own balcony rooms (connecting) and we paid the double occupancy rate for each of them. 

You can also buy gift cards from aarp to pay for your trip and get a 10% discount. I saved a lot on this cruise doing it that way. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, ORTravelGal said:

I’d want to make sure AARP OBC & shareholder OBC could still be available, although not necessarily a dealbreaker.

Certainly will apply. We had a special price (Private Sale? I haven't remembered to ask my PCC) on the Voyage of Vikings, but only on the barebones fare. So that is what I bought. Later added HIA just before the price went up. Just checked most recent Booking Confirmation and (by the amount of OBC), both SHB and AARP have been added!

• Like 2

We were able to move our dining time to fixed late. The lineup for anytime after the first show was horrendous.  Last night the service was good.

we gave up on getting dessert downstairs a couple of times.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

canadianbear - I hope your wifi is good enough for you and Mr. Bear to keep in touch with your grandkids. 😊

It has worked great on most days so we are happy. With the time changes it is making it a bit more of a logistic challenge though.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Up until this time service had been adequate and I am not one who demands a fast dinner but a full hour with no service is not acceptable 

I completely agree with you. That is unreasonable. I'm glad you were able to speak immediately to the Maitre d' and hopefully he takes action. But considering what a recurring issue this seems to be on Koningsdam -- not every meal, not every day, but often enough to be problematic -- I wonder if it is just due to some poor design in the kitchen areas that they cannot rectify.

I've not heard of it being such a frequent issue on the other two Pinnacle class ships -- so perhaps it was a flaw that was fixed. 

That said, it doesn't help you out much at this moment. I hope things get better.

• Like 5

@Mary229

So very sorry to hear this about the MDR. When we were onboard this same cruise a year ago, we encountered much the same. We actually love to "dine and relax", but after one week, we were DONE.  The struggle is real!  Long lines, slow service, loud room, and hit or miss menu's had us either in the Lido or ordering from NY Deli nightly. We did a few lunches in the MDR, but never went back for dinner.

• Like 5

I was assigned to a new table tonight with a top notch experienced wait staff.  The waiter was far superior and far more attentive - not just to us but to all of his tables.  The waiters  great dispositions definitely impacted the ambiance of dining room. Our food arrived promptly , perhaps a bit too promptly but we can work that out as time progresses.  An additional benefit the food was at peak temperature and appearance.  Dinner was delicious.  Please note there were no fireworks on our part, no demands, no complaints.  We did what we would do at any slow restaurant- we left.  I only hope that this improves for all guests but if it does not you should definitely report here on cruise critic at the very least.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, highscar said:

Just off the Koninsdam the late dining time was perfect. Wine was poured and order taken.  Super service.  

Good to hear - let's hope it continues. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I was assigned to a new table tonight with a top notch experienced wait staff.  The waiter was far superior and far more attentive - not just to us but to all of his tables.  The waiters  great dispositions definitely impacted the ambiance of dining room. Our food arrived promptly , perhaps a bit too promptly but we can work that out as time progresses.  An additional benefit the food was at peak temperature and appearance.  Dinner was delicious.  Please note there were no fireworks on our part, no demands, no complaints.  We did what we would do at any slow restaurant- we left.  I only hope that this improves for all guests but if it does not you should definitely report here on cruise critic at the very least.  

Good to hear the table move got you the service you deserve. Let's hope it's a dining room wide lasting improvement. 

• Like 2

Just got caught up!  I've been lax with my reading.

Seems there's typically a mad rush at 5 pm for the MDR and then again after the first show time.  I do know that I got terribly spoiled having the CO dining room for our 26 nights on Rotterdam. 

I cancelled my 1/11/25 Hawaii sailing and rebooked it as the 24-night 1/4 "collectors" sailing.  I've never done the Mexican ports and figured that, hey, I'm flying to San Diego!  I might as well go a week early and get a nice, long cruise.  Booked HIA and added Club Orange.  Got some OBC that hadn't come with my original booking.

I seriously considered the solo OV but I just don't want to be that far forward since it seems there can be some high seas at this time of year and I just don't want to risk it.  For me, the additional cost to get a window and a little more floor space wasn't worth it and I like my dark cabin for sleeping.  I did make sure that my PCC flagged my booking to DO NOT UPGRADE after my cabin-switch fiasco on Eurodam last month.

When I checked to see the cost to add a spa package, the only option that came up was for 7 nights although my sailing is, technically, 7 + 17.  I wouldn't use the spa much, if at all, during the Mexico portion.

For the first time in my 40+ cruises, I had dinner in the MDR on Eurodam one night.  I was not impressed.  I don't think we had any 2 hour MDR meals.  The excessively-slow dining was in both Pinnacle and Tamarind.  Hoping that won't be the case next January.

We play dominoes (Mexican train).  My friends usually bring a set, but if there's a set in the game room that we can use, it would be great if they didn't have to pack theirs.

• Like 4

So glad your MDR situation has improved. Ours on the Koningsdam in January was similar. Our waiter seemed indifferent and I think was put off because we didn’t want to order dessert with our starters and entrees.. I find it so strange that they have started to do this. We always said weren’t sure until after dinner if we want dessert. The concept of coffee WITH dessert also seemed to be a challenge. They never were together. We’d finish dessert long before coffee arrived. The last night we just left after our entrees.

I guess this is all a result of short staffing, but doesn’t make for a nice dining experience. 

• Like 5

Does anyone know why they aren't showing movies by the pool in the evening?  They're showing them in the freezing world stage every day at 2 pm, but nothing at night outside under great weather conditions. I tried to do a let us know and got no response.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Arriving in Kauia!  We are doing the HAL tour called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.  Never been to this Island so looking forward to the tour.  We used our HIA excursions for Hawaii

I don't have a better strategy for Hawaii excursions for my trip next year so I've pretty much decided on a monkey see, monkey do approach.  So, how was your excursion to Volcanoes National Park? I'll be interested in knowing whether you enjoy today's excursion.  Judging from the prices I've seen for the HAL excursions, it won't be any problem whatsoever to use up the $100 credit per excursion they've offered as part of the HIA package!

• Like 1