Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

6 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Love Kapalua ❤️

I have always liked you and very much appreciated your posts Miss G, but you are now elevated to my “must meet someday” list from CC.

Unless you are a golfer and follow the Centry tournament, very few people know of Kapalua. I am incredibly blessed to call it my winter home. I have rented there Jan-May the last 5 years. Because of this trip (and our January caribbean sailings), I’ll only be at the condo for  a couple months. I know that’s still a lot of time, but I’m questioning whether or not it will be enough time for me to fully center myself in the Aina’ energy.  It truly is my paradise!!

If I wasn’t filled with such wonderlust I’d be in Kapalua right now  enjoying this sunset. But, alas, the world is big and I still have much to learn. 

B1BF9468-EDBF-4CF5-A5CB-5BA446530B11.jpeg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am incredibly blessed to call it my winter home.

You certainly are!  We spent an amazing week at the R-C following a business trip to HNL.  (Where we had the good fortune to stay at The Four Seasons, Ko Olina.)

In Kapalua, my favorite breakfast place was The Plantation Course.  We were scheduled to do it all again when covid hit.  Broke my heart making all those cancellations.  💔  

I hope you post pics after your arrival!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

You certainly are!  We spent an amazing week at the R-C following a business trip to HNL.  (Where we had the good fortune to stay at The Four Seasons, Ko Olina.)

In Kapalua, my favorite breakfast place was The Plantation Course.  We were scheduled to do it all again when covid hit.  Broke my heart making all those cancellations.  💔  

I hope you post pics after your arrival!

This forum needs a love button! A girl who understands my Kapalua heart. Don’t get me wrong, all of Maui is beautiful, but to me, Kapalua holds a very special energy. A centering spiritual energy. It’s off the charts. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that our condo shares privileges with the R-C pool only 200 yards away :). 

ps- we eat breakfast at the plantation house every Sunday. 

Just a couple photos to jog your memory- worlds best backyard: 

5AF14B2C-6451-4065-A49A-406C3B7B85CB.jpeg

6E0DAD05-63F1-4B87-8424-BF15959D94B5.jpeg

C1EE107B-53BC-42CB-913F-A3A7CF8F34F6.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 14

21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Of course, it doesn’t hurt that our condo shares privileges with the R-C pool only 200 yards away :). 

ps- we eat breakfast at the plantation house every Sunday. 

Oh my gosh.  I know exactly where you are!  And brekkie at Plantation!  I can taste the pineapple spears and dip as we speak.  Yum.

Do you know, it’s funny and purely coincidental, but I was saying to my husband not two days ago that the best spa I’ve ever been to was at that R-C!!

Thank you for the pictures.  Just ❤️.  You are so right that it’s a centering and spiritual place.  I know you’ll have an amazing time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Following.  This itinerary is the same we will be doing in 2025 as a leg of our 70 day get away from Michigan winter break.  

Hi Ottahand (great screen name). Seems we are both cruising thru Michigan winters. Im on this exact cruise again next Feb. Are you on the Koningsdam? Or a different ship?

• Like 1

Well that was super fun!! What a great group of cruisers we have sailing on the Koningsdam. At its height, I counted 42 people, but people were coming and going. Im pretty sure some folks are still hanging in the lobby but I’ve been up 21 hours and am calling uncle. Don’t tell.

Tomorrow nights meet and greet will likely be bigger. Wouldn’t surprise me if we double tonight’s attendance (or more). According to the front desk, there are 160 Koningsdam cruisers staying here at the Best Western Yacht Harbor. It’s not fancy, but most of us paid around $100 a night with $5a night parking for those who drove. For those following along who are going on the 2025 version of this cruise, if you don’t have hotel points, I think the BWYH offers a great value. 

I do want to send a big shout out to the folks at the Best Western who not only opened the breakfast area for us, but supplied several types of juices, some fruit, and coffee. Most folks brought their own wine/beer but it was very thoughtful for the hotel to accommodate us with beverages. I had no idea they were going to do that for us so a pleasant surprise.

I just know I’ve met lifetime friends tonight.  There is nothing like a group of cruisers supporting each other in another adventure. Tomorrow one of my new besties and her hubby are taking me to Coronado to check out  the sights. How flipping cool is that? I’m very grateful.

So often the internet is used to divide, but I absolutely love it when the internet brings people together. Tonight it’s social media for the win.

Some random pics posted without permission. As they say, better to ask forgiveness :). 

CF619A37-D48B-44C0-BF83-4EEC04B93AA0.jpeg

200AB99D-BEF6-4EF6-87CA-A97264B92CBB.jpeg

492B0FC8-936B-4CB2-9D72-51D2396689BE.jpeg

7B194A81-06D2-4652-B4C6-7D51AE165ED9.jpeg

2CC7F8B9-B115-4DED-906B-D77808698D4D.jpeg

9D017AE8-1F65-4807-ABB7-61ACC3B0BA2C.jpeg

75BAE481-3F5E-4F73-B0E7-2C6E71E74822.jpeg

• Like 12

@BermudaBound2014

I love, love, love your writing style. We experienced the chaos in SD last January but in the port's defense, our side by cruise that followed was handled seamlessly.

Bon voyage and looking forward to keeping up with your journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another K'dam Hawaii thread. 😁 So envious of your itinerary.  I'm on the 1/11/2025 sailing but I was just sitting here thinking I should cancel and rebook as the 24-night beginning 1/4 since I haven't done that Mexican portion.  Would prefer your itinerary but I have to work by early February.

No Gen Xer here.  I'm a Boomer and still working (part-time, seasonally during tax season which is now-4/15 and again from early August-Oct 15).  Got to pay for my travels somehow!

I did a side-to-side on Carnival Magic & Eurodam last month (contracted Covid again (caught it during my Zuiderdam Alaska B2B in June 2022)).  Had several issues on Eurodam that tainted the whole trip a bit.  Not stopping me from sailing HAL again, though.

I'm currently booked in an interior but considering the solo OV.  My main concern is the location.  I do have some issues with motion although Ginger Root has almost cured me.  Still. Not sure I want to be that far forward for 24 nights.  Personally, if I don't have a balcony (which I rarely do), I prefer an interior because I love the dark cabin for sleeping.  Keeping the price down helps since I need to watch my budget if I want to sail 3-4 times a year!

Hadn't decided on where to stay pre-cruise.  I'll definitely have a look at the Best Western.

Looking forward to following along.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, just saw your live thread, happy surprise! 😁 Looking forward to your thoughts on Kdam as the reviews tend to be all over the place. And your impressions of your solo outside cabin. I’m in one on Rotterdam in August (Norwegian fjords).

If nothing else I’ll enjoy the ride and your amusing musings.

• Like 5

I’m another Hawaii lover, so happy to follow along!  Agree about the special energy in Hawaii,  very healing.   

Last  nights waves were amazing!  

IMG_0660.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Princess ship is here today in San Diego and tomorrow we get on the Koningsdam!  It’s real everyone! 

IMG_2616.jpeg

You must be in a room very close to us as this is the view we had this morning. Hope to meet you in the lobby later!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Charlies Aunt said:

You must be in a room very close to us as this is the view we had this morning. Hope to meet you in the lobby later!

We weren’t sure if we’d be at the meet so didn’t sign up but might drop by.  We are on the 12th floor and love the breeze coming through & of course the view!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We weren’t sure if we’d be at the meet so didn’t sign up but might drop by.  We are on the 12th floor and love the breeze coming through & of course the view!

We are on the 11th floor and agree it's some view! We are having problems with the jet lag fairy but hope to make it later!

• Like 3

What a great day in San Diego. It’s always a blessing when locals show you around their town. 

We spent the morning exploring the legendary Hotel Del Coronado. Spent time looking at the historic photos of all the famous people who have graced the steps.   The hotel is old, famed, and just beautiful. I can relate to one of three.

Walked up and down the beach and grabbed some fun photos. Artists of all forms amaze me. I get excited when my red solo cup makes a nice “castle” in the sand when I turn it upside down.  These castles were on a whole new level. 

Ended up in Old San Juan for lunch and a jalapeño Margarita!! I bet that comes as a big surprise. 

San Diego is a super fun city to explore! If they could just get the port functioning in the 20th century this could be my favorite embarkation port. I’m thrilled to spend 4 more nights here after the cruise. There is much yet yo explore!

Here are my new besties and the worlds best San Diego tour guides- 

25590FB9-2CE7-4010-997C-AFAE86B6DC5E.jpeg

C4049396-1BBD-43B1-9060-A71D14B7560C.jpeg

1DF424D0-E650-4E3B-9420-7C997A48619E.jpeg

7C187ECF-555A-45C3-9654-4F6BECC9E95A.jpeg

89040E1C-FA0C-4B7C-AD40-1C27CB11CFDE.jpeg

2A2F4721-DF20-494F-B341-A80588ECFDBB.jpeg

C2B34E87-6BF7-40B1-9CB7-1FE4421B4156.jpeg

9624B71F-71D3-466F-B093-B9FF88EC9A8F.jpeg

2F0CF2E2-F77F-42D3-9F5A-7B0699214072.webp

• Like 20