Miss leading free drink package

Mrearl

3 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Would you agree that somewhere on the Internet I can find that bartenders on cruise ships are making far more than $1000 per month?

In addition, your 3000 out 4000 passengers may be far too high. You have to exclude anyone under 21, and anyone who declines the drink package. For example, that would be 3/4 of my extended family who might, might have a glass of wine or a beer at dinner.

Finally, you have no clue who is included in the receipt of the drink package gratuities. How about the MDR servers who bring 4 drinks to the table? How about the runners who stock the bar? The staff that washes the bar glasses? Maybe the laundry staff who wash the bartender/server uniforms?

Point is, it's all pure speculation.

You're making too much sense for our resident attorney! Lol 😂 

24 minutes ago, hallux said:

You absolutely CAN book a FAS room and decline the beverage package, removing the need to pay the beverage service charge.  I've done it on every cruise I've taken on NCL.

What I meant was you can't book an FAS and not have the relevant gratuities added, i.e. if you take the beverage package then the gratuities for it are automatically added to the invoice.

22 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Of all the NCL offerings, the FAS drink package is one of the better values especially if, like me, you tend to indulge more onboard than you might on land.  As others have noted, $21/day beats most other lines.  It doesn't include bottled water or Starbucks but if that's important to you, you can upgrade and it's still much cheaper than RCCL. 

I'll concede that "Free At Sea" isn't literally free and I've always thought NCL should advertise the "all in" cost, maybe marketing it as a discount if someone chooses to decline the booze.  But I can understand their position:  They want to lead with a low number and hope you're hooked by the time you realize there's DSC, gratuities, etc.

Yep, similar to 24-month car lease, $299* per month ONLY, with $3,999 down payment (* not included tax, registration fees, dealer fees, $650 acquisition fee, and $350 disposition fee, 10K per year allowance, $0.15 per mile over).

2 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Wow. Pulling numbers out the arse is easy. How about backing them up?

I do it all the time.  It's the internet.  It's not "real."  🤣  Haven't you noticed some of the percentages I've tossed out in recent threads?

In my own defense (not that "defense" is needed), I do it to challenge our intelligent readers to consider my points and reach their own conclusions.  That, or I do it for fun.  I guess the jury can decide.

(It doesn't seem to be working)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

Haven't you noticed some of the percentages I've tossed out in recent threads?I

Of course, but I also consider the source.  😎

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Would you agree that somewhere on the Internet I can find that bartenders on cruise ships are making far more than $1000 per month?

In addition, your 3000 out 4000 passengers may be far too high. You have to exclude anyone under 21, and anyone who declines the drink package. For example, that would be 3/4 of my extended family who might, might have a glass of wine or a beer at dinner.

Finally, you have no clue who is included in the receipt of the drink package gratuities. How about the MDR servers who bring 4 drinks to the table? How about the runners who stock the bar? The staff that washes the bar glasses? Maybe the laundry staff who wash the bartender/server uniforms?

Point is, it's all pure speculation.

I did exclude them. That’s 3/4ths of adult passengers. Official capacity is just 2 per cabin. That’s why cruises sail above 100% capacity (kids).  

And I already have you a source that it’s much more than $1,000 per month.  NCL pays a base pay of $3k-5k per month, and bar tenders earn another $1-2k per month in tips according to Glassdoor. 

Another way to look at the math — NCLs drink package is far more expensive than most other cruise lines… even luxury lines. So that would suggest NCL pays their bartenders far more than other cruise lines and/or has a much better staffing ratio. 

Again, I have no idea whether the bar staff truly gets all of the “gratuity” charge or not. But the numbers are a bit suspect. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If you DIDN'T have a package, you would have paid 20% on each drink and on each meal in addition to the cost of the drink and/or meal. 

correct… so I’d be paying $2-$6 per day in drink tips.  

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Knowing what you now know, would you rather take the promo and pay the 20% on the package(s) or pay a la carte? Neither is wrong (personal preference) but more people than not are better off with the promo. 

11 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

Isn't it free?? 

It’s priced at $109 per day, off which the 20% gratuity is charged.  The “free” is waiving the $109 per day. 

But Holland America is just $60 per day.  And unlike the NCL package, it includes bottled water, specialty coffees, etc. 

So are Holland America bartenders earning 50% of the tips of NCL bartenders?

Oceana is $30, including gratuities — and includes bottled waters, specialty coffee, etc. 

Princess is $85… and includes canned soda, milkshakes, specialty coffees, etc. 

Thus, NCL is charging the highest “gratuity”

1 hour ago, havoc315 said:

I did exclude them. That’s 3/4ths of adult passengers. Official capacity is just 2 per cabin. That’s why cruises sail above 100% capacity (kids).

No...sorry, but words matter. Double occupancy is 2 per cabin (for most cabins, not all, btw). Official capacity is based on lifeboat seats...not cabins, beds, or anything else. It might surprise you to learn that ships can be at capacity with empty cabins.

15 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

It’s priced at $109 per day, off which the 20% gratuity is charged.  The “free” is waiving the $109 per day. 

But Holland America is just $60 per day.  And unlike the NCL package, it includes bottled water, specialty coffees, etc. 

Oceana is $30, including gratuities — and includes bottled waters, specialty coffee, etc. 

All kinds of "facts", "numbers", and "sources"...yet you claim to have been mislead. Hard to believe. Unless one or the other is a fabrication.

20 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

And $21.80/day is still less than any of those.  I don’t care what they call it, it’s still a great deal.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

No...sorry, but words matter. Double occupancy is 2 per cabin (for most cabins, not all, btw). Official capacity is based on lifeboat seats...not cabins, beds, or anything else. It might surprise you to learn that ships can be at capacity with empty cabins.

no.  Unless you’re claiming ships are sailing without enough life boats. 

Most ships are sailing at over 100% capacity. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/05/30/cruise-ship-occupancy-rates-are-over-100-percent#:~:text=Each cabin has a capacity,of that cabin exceeds 100%.

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

All kinds of "facts", "numbers", and "sources"...yet you claim to have been mislead. Hard to believe. Unless one or the other is a fabrication.

When did I claim I was ever misled?

I said the marketing is misleading, and that I know people who were confused by the marketing. 

IMG_2793.jpeg

Edited by havoc315

9 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

And $21.80/day is still less than any of those.  I don’t care what they call it, it’s still a great deal.

It’s a lot less, if it’s $21.80…. 
It’s a lot more if it’s $109 with a $21.80 gratuity. 

Either way, it’s not “free.”

And it’s not known whether the $21.80 is actually a gratuity, or it’s just the “real” price for the “free” package. 

6 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

It’s a lot less, if it’s $21.80…. 
It’s a lot more if it’s $109 with a $21.80 gratuity. 

Either way, it’s not “free.”

And it’s not known whether the $21.80 is actually a gratuity, or it’s just the “real” price for the “free” package. 

No, it’s not free.  It costs $21.80 a day for the gratuities.  I will grant you that $109 a day is higher than other lines.  But I doubt that many, if anyone actually pays full price for the drink package on NCL.  It’s marketing.  I see the semantic issues with “free”, bit at the end of the day it’s a great deal.

1 minute ago, Russiamomm said:

No, it’s not free.  It costs $21.80 a day for the gratuities.  I will grant you that $109 a day is higher than other lines.  But I doubt that many, if anyone actually pays full price for the drink package on NCL.  It’s marketing.  I see the semantic issues with “free”, bit at the end of the day it’s a great deal.

Not debating whether it’s a great deal or not. Simply that, like a lot of marketing, it can be misleading to some people. 

4 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

No, it’s not free

Actually it's 100% free. The drinks package is free. The gratuities are not free.

As someone else mentioned before as an example. If McDonald's has a promotion "buy a big Mac, get a large fries for free" then the fries are free, even if the burger is not.

5 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

Actually it's 100% free. The drinks package is free. The gratuities are not free.

As someone else mentioned before as an example. If McDonald's has a promotion "buy a big Mac, get a large fries for free" then the fries are free, even if the burger is not.

I get it.  But honestly, I don’t care.  At the end of the day it’s $21.80 a day.  To me it’s a great deal and I’ll take it.  Don’t want it?  Don’t get it.  Everyone has the option.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I get it.  But honestly, I don’t care.  At the end of the day it’s $21.80 a day.  To me it’s a great deal and I’ll take it.  Don’t want it?  Don’t get it.  Everyone has the option.

Agreed. Much less than what the drinks package actually costs on Royal or Celebrity. I'd never pay the NCL full price though.

3 hours ago, LloydJr said:

I do it all the time.  It's the internet.  It's not "real."  🤣  Haven't you noticed some of the percentages I've tossed out in recent threads?

In my own defense (not that "defense" is needed), I do it to challenge our intelligent readers to consider my points and reach their own conclusions.  That, or I do it for fun.  I guess the jury can decide.

(It doesn't seem to be working)

80% of the time I don't read past page 5 of a thread, because after that page, 70% of the posts are repetitive, and the other 50% just don't make sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, havoc315 said:

So, it is free??

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

I will grant you that $109 a day is higher than other lines.  But I doubt that many, if anyone actually pays full price for the drink package on NCL.  It’s marketing.

Exactly.  Since the start of FAS, exactly 53 suckers have actually been so confused that they paid list price.  All the rest of the smart kids, slow kids, drunk kids, etc. have just paid the freakin' buck ninety five "gratuity" and enjoyed their cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

80% of the time I don't read past page 5 of a thread, because after that page, 70% of the posts are repetitive, and the other 50% just don't make sense.

You're learning, but you need to use more precise sounding numbers.  That is more effective 83.23% of the time.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I didn't think you could book FAS and not have the gratuities for those added to your invoice. It adds them in automatically on the invoice the same way it adds port charges and taxes. They're not like DSC gratuities that you  can "optionally" choose to add to the invoice. 

Not sure what FAS is? Don't need to reply, I'm quitting this thread, it's gotten nuts!😜

Looking forward to cruising NCL, no matter how or when I pay!

Doug