Miss leading free drink package

Mrearl

32 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

???? Bad faith. By having a discussion on an Internet forum? Only bad faith here, is your bizarre attempt to squash discussion. 

They aren’t well established at all. 
So ok, does 100% of the gratuity charge go to the bartending staff?

You said this is well established. So what’s the answer? 

It is misleading. It’s known to frequent NCL cruisers… it’s known to the people on this forum.  It is not so clear and known to every person who books a NCL cruise. 

I had a friend tell me recently, that if I didn’t book my cruise by the next day, I’d miss out on NCL’s free drinks promotion. 

So you’re saying —- since people already know that NCL is misleading, it is misleading to discuss how they are being misleading?!?

And I still don’t understand why you care whether people discuss that NCL’s marketing is misleading. Ok, you don’t personally feel it’s misleading. Good for you. What’s your problem with other people discussing they do feel it’s misleading? 

Enough, this is not a bar exam

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Mrearl said:

I was checking on a 14 day cruise with a drink package included.  They then state we have to pay gratuities which is $690 in  gratuities. It makes the initial price look good until they add the gratuities. This is the first cruise line I have been on that makes you pay gratuities for the drink package.  

well if you look at their new Special offer the 2nd person cruises for free but when you do the final tally that is not true either. We never take the drinking package because we are not drinkers, we buy a drink here and there, use our onboard credit given to us by our travel agent 🙂

Of all the NCL offerings, the FAS drink package is one of the better values especially if, like me, you tend to indulge more onboard than you might on land.  As others have noted, $21/day beats most other lines.  It doesn't include bottled water or Starbucks but if that's important to you, you can upgrade and it's still much cheaper than RCCL. 

I'll concede that "Free At Sea" isn't literally free and I've always thought NCL should advertise the "all in" cost, maybe marketing it as a discount if someone chooses to decline the booze.  But I can understand their position:  They want to lead with a low number and hope you're hooked by the time you realize there's DSC, gratuities, etc.

Edited by phillygwm

On 2/15/2024 at 8:35 PM, realnice46 said:

From what I can see if you choose all inclusive with Celebrity drinks and Wi-Fi include these is no extra charge on the drink package. NCL seems to be a bait and switch making you think you have all inclusive and you don’t when you view the final price.

Yep, when I get a quote for an NCL cruise which includes those package, I ALWAYS verify the price include EVERYTHING. I was stung once by NCL also, but no more!

Doug

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Gotta laugh when you look at the above and notice that the "All Included" description even says "Tips charged separately".

Not to mention the marketing aspect of "All Included" vs "All Inclusive".

Tips on that means daily room charges…

23 hours ago, havoc315 said:

NCL is the one trying to create a narrative. 

The Drink Package is 100% free, there is no lie or deception in their marketing. They never said "free gratuities". Anyone who buys the drink package also pays the gratuities on top of the drinks package price. 

Also the term "gratuities" does not mean optional by definition. There are lots of businesses that have required, or mandatory, gratuities. One example would be a restaurant auto applying an 18% gratuities for large parties (6+ etc). The oxford English dictionary as: "money that you give to somebody who has provided a service for you"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

The Drink Package is 100% free, there is no lie or deception in their marketing. They never said "free gratuities". Anyone who buys the drink package also pays the gratuities on top of the drinks package price. 

Also the term "gratuities" does not mean optional by definition. There are lots of businesses that have required, or mandatory, gratuities. One example would be a restaurant auto applying an 18% gratuities for large parties (6+ etc). The oxford English dictionary as: "money that you give to somebody who has provided a service for you"

So you believe the bartenders are getting 100% of the “gratuities?”

That may indeed be true, and was one of my questions. But I suspect the gratuities are simply going into general NCL revenue. Meaning, it’s a $22 per day drink package.  

57 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I was stung once by NCL also, but no more!

how exactly were you "stung?"

are you saying the price you paid was somehow different than your invoice or included charges, fees or gratuities not mentioned in your contract?

Edited by UKstages

7 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

That may indeed be true, and was one of my questions. But I suspect the gratuities are simply going into general NCL revenue. Meaning, it’s a $22 per day drink package.  

Yes, I believe that the gratuities are such, and are going to team members. 

Anyone can "suspect" anything. I suspect you're a bot, that doesn't mean it's true or correct. I'll believe NCL pockets the money when I'm shown undeniable proof of it.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure NCL could throw passengers overboard in the middle of the ocean and some posters would find a way to defend it. 

I’ll only speak for myself here. When I read about the FREE At Sea package and that it included a FREE drinks package, I thought that meant I would get a drinks package and wouldn’t have to pay anything. Maybe I’m stupid, maybe I’m drunk, but I was mislead. The advertising mislead at least one person and I’m guessing a whole lot more. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

No, I did not pay or book yet. The advertisement stated free drink and specialty dining. Then when you look at the final price it states over $600 for drink

gratuities and $50 for specialty dinning gratuities. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, havoc315 said:

???? Bad faith. By having a discussion on an Internet forum? Only bad faith here, is your bizarre attempt to squash discussion. 

How an I attempting to squash the discussion? By simply participating in it? Simply disagreeing with your particular opinion isn't squashing...it is part of the discussion.

They aren’t well established at all. 
So ok, does 100% of the gratuity charge go to the bartending staff?

You said this is well established. So what’s the answer? 

But you said it was well established, those were your original words...and we were discussing that in reference to the idea that nothing was free. 100% of the gratuity to the bartending staff? I never said anything about gratuity distribution being well established. If you want to veer the topic to the side, you can't insist that I follow you.

It is misleading. It’s known to frequent NCL cruisers… it’s known to the people on this forum.  It is not so clear and known to every person who books a NCL cruise. 

I had a friend tell me recently, that if I didn’t book my cruise by the next day, I’d miss out on NCL’s free drinks promotion. 

So you’re saying —- since people already know that NCL is misleading, it is misleading to discuss how they are being misleading?!?

And I still don’t understand why you care whether people discuss that NCL’s marketing is misleading. Ok, you don’t personally feel it’s misleading. Good for you. What’s your problem with other people discussing they do feel it’s misleading? 

If it is published, but not clear and known to every person who books an NCL cruise, whose fault is that? If you can't be bothered to learn, then you don't have standing to blame others.

I didn't day "people already know that NCL is misleading". That is (once again) you attempting to put words in my mouth to argue against them. Why don't you argue what I actually said instead. You can quote my words, you don't have to play the "so your're saying" game.

Once again, I don't have a problem with people discussing anything...never said I did. I get to discuss too...that is the way it works. Do you have a problem with that?

Oh, and FWIW, you understand that "misleading" and "feel it's misleading" aren't the same, right? Facts trump feelz.

10 minutes ago, Mrearl said:

No, I did not pay or book yet. The advertisement stated free drink and specialty dining. Then when you look at the final price it states over $600 for drink

You are free to decline the drink package and the dining package. 

Just now, Mrearl said:

If the total price isn't to your liking, don't book. 

You can SEE what the total price (before DSC) is before you enter names or make a payment. If you don't believe that the price is good for what you are getting, don't continue with the booking process. 

5 minutes ago, wcook said:

I’ll only speak for myself here. When I read about the FREE At Sea package and that it included a FREE drinks package, I thought that meant I would get a drinks package and wouldn’t have to pay anything.

That's why the asterisk (*) is there. It shows that "Guests are responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Unlimited Open Bar Package ($21.80 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.59 USD per person per day) prior to cruise."

9 minutes ago, wcook said:

Maybe I’m stupid, maybe I’m drunk, but I was mislead.

Or, you chose to not continue reading. 

I get it. People get excited when booking a cruise and the big, flashy "Free...." this and "...Sale" that add to the excitement. When spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, people should read before committing to anything instead of rushing into it or complaining about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mrearl said:

Yeah, and? I'm not seeing an issue.

NCL sells a drink package. It is priced at $109 per day for the package and $21.80 per day for the gratuity/service charge. The free drink package comps you the $109...it is not added to your final price. However, you still have to pay the gratuity/service charge which was clearly not offered as free.

• Like 2

OMG.  All advertised offers have fine print or T&Cs.  It is YOUR job to read them and understand them and not just read the "headline."  

People fail to read and comprehend and immediately claim fraud and misleading.  

The T&Cs clearly state gratuities are not included and the final pricing clearly shows all the charges before you give them your credit card to book.

• Government taxes, port expenses & fees, discretionary onboard service charges and/or gratuities are additional.
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, wcook said:

I’m pretty sure NCL could throw passengers overboard in the middle of the ocean and some posters would find a way to defend it. 

I’ll only speak for myself here. When I read about the FREE At Sea package and that it included a FREE drinks package, I thought that meant I would get a drinks package and wouldn’t have to pay anything. Maybe I’m stupid, maybe I’m drunk, but I was mislead. The advertising mislead at least one person and I’m guessing a whole lot more. 

"I thought that meant" isn't a defense. Have you even considered that the shortcoming here is an error in your assumption of the meaning? You could have simply reached out to your TA or PCC and asked if your interpretation was correct. Did you bother to do that? The fact that you misunderstood, does not mean that you were mislead.

i haven't really had time to read the thread thoroughly, since i rushed down to mcdonald's to get my totally FREE fries!

you know what they told me?

i had to order in the app and i had to spend at least a dollar on something else!

how is that FREE?

i will never eat at mcdonald's again! they are lying thieving meanies!

McDonalds-Free-Fries-Friday.jpg

Edited by UKstages
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

34 minutes ago, wcook said:

It is free, they charge the gratuities because many folks would stiff the bar staff if they didn’t.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, havoc315 said:

Do you believe that 100% of any tips (manditory or optional) you leave at a restaurant go just to your server? Maybe they do, maybe they are distributed among all the employees, maybe management takes a cut.

And I have seen what was purported to be a pay-stub for a bar tender - real or not, I cannot say.  But it it did show tips based on the hours worked in the bar.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Or, you chose to not continue reading. 

I get it. People get excited when booking a cruise and the big, flashy "Free...." this and "...Sale" that add to the excitement.

No, I was mislead. I later studied more and realized my mistake, but initially I was mislead. 

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:09 PM, Mrearl said:

I was checking on a 14 day cruise with a drink package included.  They then state we have to pay gratuities which is $690 in  gratuities. It makes the initial price look good until they add the gratuities. This is the first cruise line I have been on that makes you pay gratuities for the drink package.  

The drink package IS free, you just still have to pay the gratuities.  After all the barkeep still has to prepare and serve thr drink all the same.  If it makes you feel better you can turn down he free drink package and pay full price for it.  It is not MISLEADING!