My Thoughts On My Retreat Experience........Celebrity Beyond 1-19-24 Sailing

BACON227

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm sorry, really.  I had to stop at the umbrella story.  I've only been in Retreat once so I'm not a frequent cruiser.  These umbrellas?  Were they that complicated and unsafe that you couldn't just reach up and open it yourself?

Or have the butler do it 🤣

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm sorry, really.  I had to stop at the umbrella story.  I've only been in Retreat once so I'm not a frequent cruiser.  These umbrellas?  Were they that complicated and unsafe that you couldn't just reach up and open it yourself?

At the risk of sounding like I am defending the contents of the OP, which I absolutely am not, the umbrellas are gigantic and have good size hand cranks that I am pretty sure are supposed to be opened by someone on staff.

pool-1.jpg

3 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

At the risk of sounding like I am defending the contents of the OP, which I absolutely am not, the umbrellas are gigantic and have good size hand cranks that I am pretty sure are supposed to be opened by someone on staff.

pool-1.jpg

I don’t see a hand crank in that pic?  Are they meant to be pushed up and held with a pin?  Maybe staff could stand there waving palm fronds?  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t see a hand crank in that pic?  Are they meant to be pushed up and held with a pin?  Maybe staff could stand there waving palm fronds?  

LOL...I don't think you're grasping the size of those umbrellas.  A pin ain't gonna do it.

And for what we pay for those suites these days, I'd prefer my own portable AC unit.

4 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

LOL...I don't think you're grasping the size of those umbrellas.  A pin ain't gonna do it.

And for what we pay for those suites these days, I'd prefer my own portable AC unit.

How does the staff open these umbrellas?

2 hours ago, Texed said:

I put my own umbrella up.  

You did it yourself?  But that’s not possible.  Why didn’t you ask the captain to do it or one of the other servants in the Retreat like other people do?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You did it yourself?  But that’s not possible.  Why didn’t you ask the captain to do it or one of the other servants in the Retreat like other people do?

I hear Bug Naked cranks a mean umbrella 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/16/2024 at 7:12 PM, BACON227 said:

Will I sail Celebrity again, probably not.  This experience left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I will be spending my money elsewhere.

We had our first Edge Class cruise (Apex)in February, not retreat, but disliked so much about the ship and cruise as a whole.

We came home and canceled our September cruise on the Ascent, and booked another cruise with another cruise line that we have never sailed on before, and are really looking forward to a new experience.

Edited by theopup
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, theopup said:

We had our first Edge Class cruise in February, not retreat, but disliked so much about the ship and cruise as a whole.

Details could be helpful if you’re willing to share. 

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm guessing you didn't spend much time on the pool deck during your one time in the Retreat.  If you did you would know that the passengers are unable to open the umbrellas themselves.  The only way to get the umbrella open is to ask a pool butler.  They then bring a crank that they attach to the umbrella and then open it.

I'm more than capable of opening a pool umbrella and if I was able to I would have done it myself.  Now that I've cleared that up for you feel free to read the rest of the review.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On my cruise in January on Edge the drinks service in the Retreat lounge was pretty slow.

The service on deck was patchy so I mainly went to the bar. The servers were good and friendly.

The umbrellas were put up if it wasn’t windy and you asked an attendant. They are massive though and if you like the sun you need to be well away from them.

We didn’t like the layout of Edge in general, missed the enclosed bars for a drink and the music and if we weren’t in a suite would have missed having a proper balcony. We liked our sky suite but we have only had veranda cabins before, so enjoyed a bigger room and bathroom.

I liked Luminae but my other half, who is a fussy eater, struggled to find things to eat other than chicken or beef. The vegetarian options are not so good.

We didn’t really notice the lack of a butler but never used the lounge team for anything. The head butler did introduce himself on day 1 but that was about it.

We have booked Silhouette for September in a veranda cabin So back to what we know.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BACON227 said:

I'm guessing you didn't spend much time on the pool deck during your one time in the Retreat.  If you did you would know that the passengers are unable to open the umbrellas themselves. 

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I have to disagree with you.  The umbrellas have a pulley system.  You have to lift up on one side to access the rope.  There is a slot to secure the rope while you tie the rope at the bottom of the pole.

But, I suggest folks not try to do it themself.  While I was securing the umbrella, one of the pool attendants came to assist.  They probably knew I didn't know what I was doing.  😂

Edited by Texed

1 hour ago, BACON227 said:

I'm guessing you didn't spend much time on the pool deck during your one time in the Retreat.  If you did you would know that the passengers are unable to open the umbrellas themselves.  The only way to get the umbrella open is to ask a pool butler.  They then bring a crank that they attach to the umbrella and then open it.

I'm more than capable of opening a pool umbrella and if I was able to I would have done it myself.  Now that I've cleared that up for you feel free to read the rest of the review.

100% agree!  I am a fairly handy guy around the house, i.e. able to do basic stuff without need of a handyman, but the first time I went to open the umbrella I almost sliced my finger off.  No more, that is now someone elses job to do for me.

4 minutes ago, Texed said:

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I have to disagree with you.  The umbrellas have a pulley system.  You have to lift up on one side to access the rope.  There is a slot to secure the rope while you tie the rope at the bottom of the pole.

But, I do not suggest folks not do it themself.  While I was securing the umbrella, one of the pool attendants came to assist.  They probably knew I didn't know what I was doing.  😂

You must have had different umbrellas, there was no possible way for the passengers to put these umbrellas up.  See the earlier posts that agree with me and pictures posted to prove it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BACON227 said:

You must have had different umbrellas, there was no possible way for the passengers to put these umbrellas up.  See the earlier posts that agree with me and pictures posted to prove it.

I was not doubting your word, I just didn't want anyone to doubt mine.  IMO, you did the correct thing by asking for assistance.  I should have also.  😊

10 hours ago, theopup said:

We had our first Edge Class cruise (Apex)in February, not retreat, but disliked so much about the ship and cruise as a whole.

We came home and canceled our September cruise on the Ascent, and booked another cruise with another cruise line that we have never sailed on before, and are really looking forward to a new experience.

While I cannot say I dislike the retreat experience on E-class, because I think it is lovely!  However, what I will say is Celebrity has priced me out of sailing E-class, probably permanently.  I had a Sunset Aft booked for a TA on Apex, which I've cancelled and moved to Royal Suite on Eclipse.  For the cost in doing this I would have been a fool not to.  I know the Retreat experience differs between E-class and Eclipse et al, I can handle that first world problem (pun intended).  I enjoy making my retirement dollars stay in my pocket whenever possible.

• Like 1

Why argue the fine points

.. just find staff to do the job safely. 

Those umbrellas may have to stay closed on windy days! No.one would want to fly away or injure others!

On 2/18/2024 at 12:22 AM, drakes2 said:

I did a TA on Apex last April May 2023 fort lauderdale to Amsterdam 15 nights. Cruise and service was wonderful. I was solo in a deluxe inside cabin. Lots to do onboard during sea days. I would never dream of booking the IV especially crossing the cold Atlantic where you couldn't even sit outside.  People who I spoke with did not think it was worth the price. 

We're booked in an Aqua Suite on the Ascent Oct 30 sailing from Barcelona to FLL.  I know we can’t predict the weather but I wouldn’t want to pay for a suite if I could not enjoy the Retreat

outside pool deck.  

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

We're booked in an Aqua Suite on the Ascent Oct 30 sailing from Barcelona to FLL.  I know we can’t predict the weather but I wouldn’t want to pay for a suite if I could not enjoy the Retreat

outside pool deck.  

Hope you can enjoy it...

On BEYOND, we thought  the outside Retreat  area  became crowded esp around lunch time..There was a  limited food menu, slow bar service and pool hogs!  Also some groups kind of monopolized their fav areas.. Not sure how it will be on  crossing.

We enjoyed it on port days when we stayed on the ship  or returned early.

and . .the expanded Sunset Bar area is a great spot to try on the ASCENT!

Popular but  very nice!

On 2/17/2024 at 9:05 AM, CTCruiser76 said:

We have been considering booking retreat level Bermuda cruise for 2025....these reviews have me seriously reconsidering.

We just booked MSC Yacht Club for Bermuda sailing in 2025. It will be our first time sailing with them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hcat said:

and . .the expanded Sunset Bar area is a great spot to try on the ASCENT!

Popular but  very nice!

Is sunset bar different on Ascent from Edge and Apex? I will be on both ships within the next month.