New to RCL - who ya gonna call?

I normally cruise on Holland America, but am sailing end of May on Jewel of the Seas 12 night Norway cruise since RCL had the best itinerary for that region..  I do my own bookings.  No travel agent.  Maybe someday.  I like the assigned "personal cruise consultant" on HAL, especially if you get lucky and get a good one.  I have a good one.  They get to know you.  It works pretty well.  I like it.

My first experience with Royal is that you get whoever answers the phone.  I assume they have a call center somewhere and probably have a good deal of turnover.  The person I dealt with was "somewhat knowledgeable" when I could understand their not-first language broken English.

Is this my only option for dealing with Royal if you don't have a travel agent?  Can I somehow get a designated Royal person to deal with or is it that they didn't design their system that way.  You get who answers the phone.  Definitely a lesser experience than I expected.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CaptJerry51 said:

Is this my only option for dealing with Royal if you don't have a travel agent?

Yes.

26 minutes ago, CaptJerry51 said:

Can I somehow get a designated Royal person to deal with

No.

Honestly, you're better off asking questions here than calling Royal. That's a serious answer, not an attempt at humor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had a assigned person who sometimes didnt call back for days. Well they had to move equipment into her home she said when I complained. Having a dedicated person wasnt great for me.

I now use a TA who usually has better group prices. 

I've called a few times and not gotten someone even in the USA. Ask around when you are on your jewel cruise for names. We cant name anyone here. I've called about excursions and they just were kinda clueless imo. One told me a excursion price didnt drop, the difference was taxes. Excursions dont get taxed. I learned now how to cancel on their site in the planner. 

27 minutes ago, CaptJerry51 said:

I normally cruise on Holland America, but am sailing end of May on Jewel of the Seas 12 night Norway cruise since RCL had the best itinerary for that region..  I do my own bookings.  No travel agent.  Maybe someday.  I like the assigned "personal cruise consultant" on HAL, especially if you get lucky and get a good one.  I have a good one.  They get to know you.  It works pretty well.  I like it.

My first experience with Royal is that you get whoever answers the phone.  I assume they have a call center somewhere and probably have a good deal of turnover.  The person I dealt with was "somewhat knowledgeable" when I could understand their not-first language broken English.

Is this my only option for dealing with Royal if you don't have a travel agent?  Can I somehow get a designated Royal person to deal with or is it that they didn't design their system that way.  You get who answers the phone.  Definitely a lesser experience than I expected.

Had a Personal Vacation Planner threw Royal for over 5yrs, was knowledgeable and could send him a text and change anything. Now post CV, nope. Either need  do own footwork/call Royal with that knowledge or get a Travel Agent. 

Yep, they used to have very good Personal Vacation Planners but canned them all during Covid and didn’t reinstate the program. Now you just get some lady in Venezuela with a thick accent and roosters crowing in the background. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

What did you need to call for? I find I can do most of what I need online without talking to a human. I far prefer not talking to people on the phone!

I called to refare.  I didn't see how I could do that online and keep the same cabin.  I am pretty particular about my cabin location.

I saved over $1,400 on a 2 person, 12 night cruise that I originally booked in November last year.

I'll do as much as I can online, but don't think that situation was possible.

Edited by CaptJerry51
  • Like 1

I have had much luck with repricing our Norway cruise this summer- several decent price drops. If I am not getting anywhere with the agent, or have a hard time understanding what they are saying, I say 'sorry, someone is at the door' and then call back few minutes later. If you call M-F 9-5 you are more likely to get a knowledgeable agent. Good luck!

15 hours ago, CaptJerry51 said:

I called to refare.  I didn't see how I could do that online and keep the same cabin.  I am pretty particular about my cabin location.

I saved over $1,400 on a 2 person, 12 night cruise that I originally booked in November last year.

I'll do as much as I can online, but don't think that situation was possible.

Yes you have to call to have that done. I book my cruises online and I just called the other day as a matter of fact because my cabin had a price drop so I called to get a refund of the difference. Keep in mind though that if you are already paid in full you will get an onboard credit rather than a refund. 

4 hours ago, bigque said:

Yes you have to call to have that done. I book my cruises online and I just called the other day as a matter of fact because my cabin had a price drop so I called to get a refund of the difference. Keep in mind though that if you are already paid in full you will get an onboard credit rather than a refund. 

OBC after final payment date no longer applies.  That policy ended.

Edited by Another_Critic

25 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

OBC after final payment date no longer applies.  That policy ended.

You quoted a part of my post and replied to something I did not say. Read it again….. I said “If you have already paid in full”. I did not say after final payment date.