Never Again RCI

Sorry, to add... mom has medicare and purchased the basic insurance through princess cruise line.  They were so incredible that a nurse traveled with mom from New Brunswick to Toronto, then had rented a extra large vehicle for her comfort for the ride back to Buffalo.  The nurse went all the way into moms home to ensure she was safe and comfortable.  

We purchase Allianz because of health reasons for full coverage in the event of a medivac.  It covers all our land and sea trips including the flights.  Because we travel 5 plus times a year, the price point is excellent for us.  Something to consider if folks are looking. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We do not insure our air thinking that we can use the air credit on another trip.

That makes sense.  Similarly, we don't insure our drive to Florida or our night-before hotel (which would be easy to cancel).  I totally agree with not over-insuring.  

12 hours ago, rsail203 said:

Jerseygirl3-I just celebrated my 82nd birthday on Anthem OTS and I have 3 more cruises booked this year. Hopefully you'll have many more cruises ahead of you.

My mother is about to turn 81, and I assure you she's nowhere near slowing down! 

Glad you seem to be the same. 

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

There is not much coverage on Dental in that plan. $300 barely covers filing down a chipped tooth.

I don't see much sense in adding dental coverage for a cruise.  It'd take something pretty bad to make me seek out dental treatment mid-cruise, and I have dental insurance at home ... it works out to essentially the same cost as two cleanings each year, so it makes financial sense.  

We are finding that out, as well, being on the BCBS Sapphire plan.  DH had an implant done (which they seemed to have covered nicely), but he just found out they they are not paying for the crown to go on top because it is a specialty crown and the cost is $2500!  Normal crowns, at a cost of $1200 are covered. 🤨

My children were both born missing teeth, and they had implants installed when they were high school seniors.  The cost -- oooh, the cost -- even with insurance.  But today they both say they literally never think of their implants -- they're just the same as natural teeth, so it was a good spend.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BND said:

A lot of cruisers (especially most that end up with medical issues and evacuations) are on Medicare which as far as I know does not cover you out of the country.  I only currently have Tricare as I'm not 65 yet while DH has Medicare and Tricare for life since he is over 65.  Most  medical insurance does not cover outside of the country (private or Gov provided).   Besides having  Allianz, we have credit cards that have pretty high limits and access to cash as needed.  Not everyone does.

Our Medicare supplement does cover out of country expenses, but limited to $50K

44 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

We purchase Allianz because of health reasons for full coverage in the event of a medivac.  It covers all our land and sea trips including the flights.  Because we travel 5 plus times a year, the price point is excellent for us.  Something to consider if folks are looking. 

Have you ever had to make a claim?  I would like to hear experiences where the insurance worked.

36 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't see much sense in adding dental coverage for a cruise.  It'd take something pretty bad to make me seek out dental treatment mid-cruise, and I have dental insurance at home ... it works out to essentially the same cost as two cleanings each year, so it makes financial sense.  

My children were both born missing teeth, and they had implants installed when they were high school seniors.  The cost -- oooh, the cost -- even with insurance.  But today they both say they literally never think of their implants -- they're just the same as natural teeth, so it was a good spend.  

The dental was included in the GeoBlue policy, and in most trip insurance policies.  It's just not very good coverage with GeoBlue.  The coverage in the trip insurance we usually purchase is better.  

BTW- I had a crown come off in Prague on my 60th birthday.  We were heading to an AMA River cruise.  Once on the ship in Germany, I told the CD and asked for a dentist.  He drove me, along with my husband, and a translator, to a dentist.  The dentist fixed me up and charged only $50.  It wasn't until I got home from my 2 week trip, and saw my own dentist, that it was determine that I had bone loss.  I went through the long process of having an implant, and a crown was later added.  Since I was still on my husbands health care plan (not old enough for Medicare) most all cost were covered.  Technically, I could have made a claim with my travel insurance since the problem started while on my trip.

29 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Our Medicare supplement does cover out of country expenses, but limited to $50K

Yes, that is on the low end should something catastrophic occur.

Have you ever had to make a claim?  I would like to hear experiences where the insurance worked.

Went two days without luggage in Hawaii two months ago.  It required receipts for clothes, about 4 weeks later we were reimbursed.

I just filed one today from a cancelled Alaskan air flight.  Fingers crossed no issues.  

Yes, I filed a claim once when we had a sick child /couldn't go last-minute.  We had full coverage through Royal's company -- this was before we realized we could opt for JUST medical and evacuation.  They paid quickly and fairly.  

The dental was included in the GeoBlue policy, and in most trip insurance policies. 

Again, we now choose JUST medical and evacuation.  We could eat the cost of the cruise, if we couldn't go for some reason, and we don't insure our drive or our luggage or our teeth.  JUST medical and evacuation.  

9 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, I filed a claim once when we had a sick child /couldn't go last-minute.  We had full coverage through Royal's company -- this was before we realized we could opt for JUST medical and evacuation.  They paid quickly and fairly.  

Again, we now choose JUST medical and evacuation.  We could eat the cost of the cruise, if we couldn't go for some reason, and we don't insure our drive or our luggage or our teeth.  JUST medical and evacuation.  

I no longer insure trips much too expensive. 
I concentrate on medical coverage and evacuation coverage. 

But GEOBLUE was one million medical coverage. It has dropped to one hundred thousand coverage because I am over 70! I’m 72!

So  now I’m looking for other insurance coverage! Any suggestions?

My $0.02 is make sure you check carefully on your insurance.  Allianz has been mentioned, and we had a policy with them on a cruise where DW fell and ended up needing a shoulder replacement.  Coverage on the policy ended the day the trip ended; but you can't exactly roll into the ER on your first day back and magically miraculously get a shoulder replaced - so they covered the return-day ER visit - nothing more, no Ortho doctor, consultations, imaging, surgery, hospital, etc.

Not to bad-mouth Allianz completely as they may have policies that offer better coverage for an injury sustained during the dates on the cruise - but get your T/A to do the research and make sure you don't have to wade through additional pain and suffering caused by the pain and suffering.

I know it's ages ago since my parents have retired from the cruise pursuit, but once my Dad "tried to have a heart attack" the week before departure (what can I say - his radar for knowing "this ain't right" had him in a hospital bed maybe three or four times before things get truly dicey - probably why he still walks the Earth).  Their insurance covered everything.  

Edited by MichaelCMTX

This rant is, to be honest, about a scenario that likely is typical of any cruise line, and was handled appropriately by the cruise line IMO.
OP has no legitimate beef here, other than they were inconvenienced when they would have preferred not to have been.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

Went two days without luggage in Hawaii two months ago.  It required receipts for clothes, about 4 weeks later we were reimbursed.

I just filed one today from a cancelled Alaskan air flight.  Fingers crossed no issues.  

Great!  Let us know.

1 hour ago, MichaelCMTX said:

My $0.02 is make sure you check carefully on your insurance.  Allianz has been mentioned, and we had a policy with them on a cruise where DW fell and ended up needing a shoulder replacement.  Coverage on the policy ended the day the trip ended; but you can't exactly roll into the ER on your first day back and magically miraculously get a shoulder replaced - so they covered the return-day ER visit - nothing more, no Ortho doctor, consultations, imaging, surgery, hospital, etc.

Not to bad-mouth Allianz completely as they may have policies that offer better coverage for an injury sustained during the dates on the cruise - but get your T/A to do the research and make sure you don't have to wade through additional pain and suffering caused by the pain and suffering. 

Once you are home, that's when your everyday health insurance kicks in.  Had your wife started treatment while on the cruise, your expenses would/should have been covered for the covered days of your trip.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

I no longer insure trips much too expensive. 
I concentrate on medical coverage and evacuation coverage. 

But GEOBLUE was one million medical coverage. It has dropped to one hundred thousand coverage because I am over 70! I’m 72!

So  now I’m looking for other insurance coverage! Any suggestions?

No suggestions, but I am very happy to see you post. It has been a long while since we have communicated. We enjoyed your company on the cruises we met you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

No suggestions, but I am very happy to see you post. It has been a long while since we have communicated. We enjoyed your company on the cruises we met you.

Great to see your post! Hope all is well with you and your family! I’m good. Still going on cruises! I finally made it to Europe! A Christmas Markets river cruise in Paris. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

I know it's ages ago since my parents have retired from the cruise pursuit, but once my Dad "tried to have a heart attack" the week before departure (what can I say - his radar for knowing "this ain't right" had him in a hospital bed maybe three or four times before things get truly dicey - probably why he still walks the Earth).  Their insurance covered everything.  

This is absolutely normal, you were home and your primary medical coverage takes over at that point, no travel policy would have covered the shoulder surgery

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes, I have the annual Allianz AllTrips Premier Plan (as previously mentioned by @Tree_skier) which is well priced and very cost-effective if you travel at least 2x/year or more. 

After 4 days in Florence in 2022, we became positive for Covid prior to getting on B2B cruise on Odyssey to Israel & Greece.  RCL refunded our full fare for the first leg but we had to self-shelter in place for 12 days in Italy.  Allianz covered our 12 days of lodging, transportation and meals (just keep all receipts) while in Tuscany and the west coast of central Italy.  We tested negative by time the second transatlantic leg on Odyssey boarded and got home to the USA 16 days later.

I filed the claim electronically.  And got the checks in the USMAIL within a month or so.  In fact, never needed to speak with an agent or TA for buying the policy or managing the claim.  Their website and app are clear and easy.

I didn't get trip based travel insurance previously until our trips went from infrequent 7 day sailings to longer and more frequent cruises per year.  But found the individual trip costs were better managed by the annual plans.  The main driver is to have medical evacuation & repatriation coverage which normal health insurance usually does not cover.  That expense alone can easily reach into the tens of thousands of dollars. 

If you travel frequently or for long periods (but <90 days each), the annual plans are the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bmblob said:

Yes, I have the annual Allianz AllTrips Premier Plan (as previously mentioned by @Tree_skier) which is well priced and very cost-effective if you travel at least 2x/year or more. 

After 4 days in Florence in 2022, we became positive for Covid prior to getting on B2B cruise on Odyssey to Israel & Greece.  RCL refunded our full fare for the first leg but we had to self-shelter in place for 12 days in Italy.  Allianz covered our 12 days of lodging, transportation and meals (just keep all receipts) while in Tuscany and the west coast of central Italy.  We tested negative by time the second transatlantic leg on Odyssey boarded and got home to the USA 16 days later.

I filed the claim electronically.  And got the checks in the USMAIL within a month or so.  In fact, never needed to speak with an agent or TA for buying the policy or managing the claim.  Their website and app are clear and easy.

I didn't get trip based travel insurance previously until our trips went from infrequent 7 day sailings to longer and more frequent cruises per year.  But found the individual trip costs were better managed by the annual plans.  The main driver is to have medical evacuation & repatriation coverage which normal health insurance usually does not cover.  That expense alone can easily reach into the tens of thousands of dollars. 

If you travel frequently or for long periods (but <90 days each), the annual plans are the way to go.

I’m looking at this plan now but I’m seeing $50,000 medical. Is there a way to increase it. I don’t see the option 

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is absolutely normal, you were home and your primary medical coverage takes over at that point, no travel policy would have covered the shoulder surgery

Not true, the policy our T/A gets now will cover treatment and recovery of an injury sustained during the trip.  Literally, we'd have had $100K coverage if they'd flown her off the ship and performed the repair prior to the end of the policy term. 

Our now-former T/A sure had a "wow" moment when she found out about this.

1 hour ago, MichaelCMTX said:

Not true, the policy our T/A gets now will cover treatment and recovery of an injury sustained during the trip.  Literally, we'd have had $100K coverage if they'd flown her off the ship and performed the repair prior to the end of the policy term. 

Our now-former T/A sure had a "wow" moment when she found out about this.

If you have found a policy that continues to offer primary medical  benefits once back in the states then you have found a unicorn. 

1 hour ago, Wasasalad said:

I’m looking at this plan now but I’m seeing $50,000 medical. Is there a way to increase it. I don’t see the option 

This is $50,000 coverage for emergency medical, per insured, per trip.  With $500,000 medical transportation coverage.  That would generally cover most incidents until you are back home and your health insurance would apply.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

20 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We have used Allianz for the past several years, finding it a better value for several trips a year.  Fast forward, my wife and I had to cancel a March charter cruise after I had major surgery at the end of 2023.  Submitted three documents, proof of payment, proof of cancellation, and surgery report.  Filed the claim on a Saturday, and six days later the claim is approved.  No back and forth, no calls, no escalations.  Very, very pleased with our experience.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

First and foremost, I hope your mom recovers fully. It's so hard - and scary - to be in a foreign country, ill, with little to no assistance. You and your mom were so smart to have insurance and, hopefully, it will reimburse you for most - if not all - of the expenses. I really get that your issue is communication - I'll just say it - caring and compassion. That's what I would want in this situation. As you acknowledge, this wasn't RCI's fault at all. However, a little care and compassion to a customer who is very ill goes a long way. It appears that didn't happen in your mom's situation. Your mom is so lucky she had you with her and, again, I hope she makes a full recovery.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:01 AM, cruzsnooze said:

It reminds me of how people take out car insurance when they rent a car when they're already covered by their own insurance. Many credit cards also give travel insurance. 

I have been cruising every year since the 70's. I'm around 90 cruises now. If I had taken out insurance on every cruise at only $500 per cruise that would be a whopping $45,000. Then of course there's my spouse so that number would double. IF you have Medjet which costs about $400 annually per couple you have transport home to a hospital. My HMO ( Kaiser) would cover the medical services. My only loss would be the cruise fare which is no big deal when I consider that $45,000 I've saved over the years. 

Although Kaiser certainly advertises that it may cover international medical bills (with a ton of restrictions/conditions), it even recommends its member get additional insurance for international travel. Even if Kaiser reimburses you the full medical amount (doubtful), it won't cover your hotel, food, etc. Those expenses could add up quickly. I would NEVER rely on Kaiser for anything - no offense, but I think Kaiser is a horrible company (I had Kaiser for a couple of years so my opinion has some basis). 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

Have you been on Viva Roll Call lately?

Hi, I am looking all over for your email address and can't find it. I would like to get the tour paid for to insure we have it locked in. So, please email me again at  jwm(dot)grayson(at)gmail(dot)com.

If you are no longer interested in the Agadir tour, then please let me know.

John

3 hours ago, csoud68 said:

Are you talking about the travel insurance that the cruise line provides or extra insurance over and above from a 3rd party?

Instead of cruise line insurance for us.  Have an annual Allianz policy.  Also our Medicare Supplement will reimburse/pay for out of country medical. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your mother.  I lived in Mexico for 6 years and yes, hospitals, clinics, labs and every medical profession can be found in neighbourhoods that are not where you would find a modern medical facility.  Inside they are modern and well equipped. 

I had my appendix burst while in Mexico and had to pay for the surgery before they would perform the operation.  Good thing I had my credit card with me in my go bag.  When I had my eye worked on I was on the table waiting for the funds my wife was transferring to the clinic to go through before they put me under.  This is how it works in Mexico in general not just in the cruise ports. 

• Like 1