First time ever on a cruise...

redleader74

Nearly everyone I know has been on a cruise or multiple cruises.  Finally my wife and I and our 5 year old daughter are going!   We've talked about it countless times over many years but other trips always won out.  This time, my parents (who've been to a number of cruises and love is treating all of us to a cruise.  My dad has picked Holland America, 7-day cruise, departing out of Seattle on July 21st.  It's so ironic that I've always been curious about cruises and very  much attracted to "not having to packing up and move out of a hotel every 1-2 nights and food/drink around the clock"  yet can't seem to prioritize it and now it's being "forced on us" ha ha ha.   So I'm excited but also clueless as I have no idea what to pack, what to expect, etc.!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, redleader74 said:

Nearly everyone I know has been on a cruise or multiple cruises.  Finally my wife and I and our 5 year old daughter are going!   We've talked about it countless times over many years but other trips always won out.  This time, my parents (who've been to a number of cruises and love is treating all of us to a cruise.  My dad has picked Holland America, 7-day cruise, departing out of Seattle on July 21st.  It's so ironic that I've always been curious about cruises and very  much attracted to "not having to packing up and move out of a hotel every 1-2 nights and food/drink around the clock"  yet can't seem to prioritize it and now it's being "forced on us" ha ha ha.   So I'm excited but also clueless as I have no idea what to pack, what to expect, etc.!

First......Congratulations and Welcome to the World of Cruise. Once you experience your First Sailing, we hope you will catch the Cruising Bug and continue to sail and enjoy.

You have selected a general forum here but I suggest you go to the Holland America Forum of CC and you will see lots more of important you will learn. Also a location to ask further information about the company and ships. You  are also welcome to join the Roll Call for the sailing of your ship. You will find additional first timers like you and also those that may have experience sailing of the same trip and share additional information on the ship, excursions and activities.

Sailing for about 54 years we love cruising  above all trip. We still love land based trips but there is nothing like sailing.

All is available on board. Dining, Activities, Sport, Entertainment, Suning,  and lots more.

Those accompanying you with experience will  help  you along.

You are mentioning about dress.... The Holland America Website should have a FAQ section that will mention dress..

Relax, research is  the most exciting part  of  the  trip to prepared and look forward to July.

BTW.....All ship have a Kid's Corner that your daughter will enjoy while  you have your own fun.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

BTW.....All ship have a Kid's Corner that your daughter will enjoy while  you have your own fun.

My son loved it! He was around 7 when we went. (It was a Disney cruise though.)

As for what to wear, think about what you would pack for a beach vacation if you are going someplace warm. You won't need to bring a beach towel as the cruise will supply them (even at beach ports, not just on the ship) but sandals, shorts, bathing suits and coverups are all appropriate. Then maybe an outfit or two that you would wear when you go out to a nice restaurant. For excursions, look for any requirements they have -- a lot require closed-toe shoes, for example, and if they talk about bugs think about clothing that covers a lot of your skin to limit mosquito targets.

What to expect? Definitely check out the NCL forum and you will learn al the tricks for how to get the most out of your vacation.

Never sailed out of Seattle, never sailed Holland -- so no help on those fronts. 

July is often HOT.  

Five will be a good age for a cruise.  As soon as you board the ship, go register her for the kids' club; then keep an eye on the activities they have planned.  

Start talking to your daughter about what it'll be like /good manners.  Google menus /kids' menus and talk to her about choosing an appetizer, an entree and a dessert.  Kids always behave better when you prepare them.  

You don't need to pack much, and cruises aren't nearly as formal as they used to be.  For dinners, my husband packs one pair of dark pants + 3-4 dress shirts.  I assume my dinner dresses will all be worn twice.  Limit yourself to 3 pair of shoes (tennis shoes, comfortable sandals, dress shoes) + water shoes, if you deem them necessary for your planned activities. 

If beach stops are part of your plan, bring a sand pail, etc. for your daughter -- if they're available during the vacation, they'll be expensive.  Get something small from the dollar store, which you can abandon after the cruise.  

Aside from clothing, the only things we take are Kindles (don't count on the ship's libraries, some magnets to hold hats, etc. on the walls, maybe a large insulated cup ... I actually can't think of anything else.  

Let your daughter draw something nice for the door and attach it with magnets ... it'll help her locate your door in a sea of same-doors.  

You know your itinerary, so start choosing your island-stop activities.  Go ahead and register for them before "the good stuff" (or the preferred times) are gone. 

Investigate procedures for Embarkation Day, Disembarkation Day, tipping.  

Do you have appropriate documents for boarding? 

1 hour ago, redleader74 said:

My dad has picked Holland America, 7-day cruise, departing out of Seattle on July 21st.  It's so ironic that I've always been curious about cruises and very  much attracted to "not having to packing up and move out of a hotel every 1-2 nights and food/drink around the clock"  yet can't seem to prioritize it and now it's being "forced on us" ha ha ha.   So I'm excited but also clueless as I have no idea what to pack, what to expect, etc.!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I see you will be on the Westerdam, which is the mid-size of HAL's current fleet, but considered small in the industry.

There is no Cruise Critic Roll Call (thread of people on the same cruise) for your dates. Alaska Roll Calls are pretty inactive in my experience, anyway.

The HAL "board" or forum is here:

Holland America Line: Ask a Question - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

You can pretty much ignore the dress-code guidelines on the website, especially for Alaska. Minimum is a collared shirt for you, no raggedy jeans. If you want to dress up on the "dressy" nights (perhaps for a family photograph?), go for it, but don't take an extra suitcase just for dinner clothes!

I will get back to you on this thread, or see you on the HAL board, with more recommendations. None will be about beach days! Here is the Alaska board to browse and develop specific questions:

Alaska Cruises Q&A: Find Tips & Recommendations - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

• Thanks 2

Alaskan cruises are generally a little more casual. Think ll bean or patagonia style . You’ll want a range of clothing from shorts to warm sweaters and don’t forget a rain jacket for July in Alaska. Lots of info on what to pack on the Alaska board mentioned. My first cruise was to Alaska and I was hooked.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Roz said:

@MacMadame, your packing advice is all wrong for an Alaskan cruise. 

As well as the advice to check the NCL forum. OP is sailing HAL. 

OP,  Alaska may be warmer than you think, but it can be cool at night and while at sea. No beach days on this trip but be sure to check out the excursions available in each port. That will inform your daytime clothing choices. You'll need bug spray in port, and both sunscreen and rainwear.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising.  Treat your first visit to Alaska as a a sample as you cannot see or do everything.  Keep a list of what you want to see/do when you return.  Make a list of everything you eat and keep your daily programs (delivered each night) as your friends/coworkers will ask. 

Your daughter will meet kids from all over the world in Club HAL, enjoy lots of food choices, see lots of seaplanes and eagles, maybe spot some bears, and will beg you to return for another cruise. 

July is salmon season and bears will be seen near streams grabbing salmon returning upstream to spawn.  As fish parts are discarded, eagles will be on alert to grab the uneaten scraps.  Provide your daughter with some cheap binoculars so she can look for eagles (ice cream cones in the trees) and some good binoculars for yourself to search for bears/eagles/whales.

Eagles in the tree tops

image.jpeg.a1d28d3a0009d5f80e1216efcdd4a33a.jpeg

image.jpeg.64d277bc38bddd4688e69a206461c2a3.jpeg

Here is a link to a typical HAL Alaska daily program:  Alaska Daily Program

Here is a link to a typical Club HAL kid's program:  Kids Club HAL Program

There is no charge for kids under 12 in Specialty Restaurants if they eat from the kid's menu. 

Here is a link to the daily Main Dining Room kid's menu (bring crayons to color the pictures that change every day (menu is the same)):  Kid's Menu

There is a link to other HAL menus in the lower right corner of my signature below. I will be in Alaska in April and will be posting the latest menus that you will be served on your cruise.

MDR Dressy nights should be on Day 2 and 5.  Half of the men will be in polo shirts (no jackets) with the other half in jackets & ties.  Perhaps a handful of tuxedos and long gowns. 

24/7 room service is free with the exception of a few items:  Room Service Menu

Tongass Trading Company at the pier in Ketchikan had lots of souvenirs for both kids and adults. 

image.jpeg.667477fa53217b373178f20d4008aa0c.jpeg

There are many experienced HAL Alaska cruisers willing to help you maximize your family cruise experience.  Feel free to ask lots of questions to help in your planning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/23/2024 at 3:47 PM, Roz said:

@MacMadame, your packing advice is all wrong for an Alaskan cruise. 

Yeah, I missed that part. 🤣

On 2/23/2024 at 4:36 PM, mom says said:

As well as the advice to check the NCL forum. OP is sailing HAL. 

I tried to edit that but CC wouldn't let me. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Yeah, I missed that part. 🤣

I tried to edit that but CC wouldn't let me. 🤷‍♂️

You can only edit for about 20 minutes.   EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

Most of your packing questions can be answered by the time of year you're going, length of the cruise, and ports of call. Let me explain:

You could be going on a 7 day cruise to the carribbean, but if you're going in winter, you'll need coats and long pants for the first few and last few days. The further north you are, the colder it will be.

However, if you're going on a 7 day cruise in the Fall or Spring, the most you may need would be light jackets.

Also, if you're going in the summer, you wouldn't need jackets at all! 

Likewise, the longer the cruise, the more you'll need to pack. You'll need more clothes for a 7 day cruise than a 3 day one.

All that said, if you're going to colder climates, you'll need more long pants and jackets.

I see you're going on an Alaskan cruise, so you'll probably need clothing for colder temps 

Edited by broadwaybaby123

Make sure that you do the online registration for your family, and register a credit card.

Everyone needs proof of citizenship, so bring either your passports or gov't issued US birth certificate, along with your gov't issued photo ID - (photo ID required for anyone 16 yrs old or older).

Have fun, and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

Posted (edited)
On 2/23/2024 at 2:19 PM, crystalspin said:

I see you will be on the Westerdam, which is the mid-size of HAL's current fleet, but considered small in the industry.

Westerdam in Alaska was our initiation into cruise vacations. Both of us loved the ship. It is perfectly sized to get around quickly, and easily. Food was very good also. We didn’t take children, so we can’t comment on those facilities. We did see perhaps 10-15 children onboard though - but it was overwhelmingly adults 50+, like us.

One of the nice things about HAL Vista class ships is they can uncover/cover the middle pool deck, based on weather. We had 1 quite warm sea day out of Seattle (late August) where that pool was uncovered. Then as we got further north, they rolled the cover over it so that it was always usable. (Vista class also has an aft pool that is always uncovered).

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:44 PM, redleader74 said:

Ah this is fantastic! I’m so excited for you! It can seem very overwhelming at first, but there is lots of fabulous information on cruise critic & the forums as well as YouTube for all the information you’ll need! 

The advice I always start with is kinda a given but research as much as you can about your ship, itinerary etc as you can - YouTube is your friend as you can learn all about the do’s and don’ts!

3 hours ago, Coast To Coasters said:

I'm not sure if HAL use a app or just their website, but if any dining menus are available you can start to get an idea as to what's available food wise and where you want to eat each night!

HAL has an app for smartphones (and I think tablets), the Navigator, but it works mostly on the ship. If you load it and it recognizes your next upcoming cruise -- the menus you will see are what it is serving currently, wherever it is!

However, Roger has a week's worth of menus for Alaska as they were in 2023, and pledges to get this year's up ASAP! per his post above.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/alaska-2023-7-day-main-dining-room-menus/

21 hours ago, crystalspin said:

HAL has an app for smartphones (and I think tablets), the Navigator, but it works mostly on the ship. If you load it and it recognizes your next upcoming cruise -- the menus you will see are what it is serving currently, wherever it is!

However, Roger has a week's worth of menus for Alaska as they were in 2023, and pledges to get this year's up ASAP! per his post above.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/alaska-2023-7-day-main-dining-room-menus/

Ah that's handy to know thank you for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT! thanks for all the helpful tips.  Coincidentally, last, last Saturday I had to drop off my parents for their SF to Hawaii cruise at the San Francisco Cruise Port and just being amid all the cruisers and next to the ship I could feel the excitement.  I have been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on HAL's Alaska cruises and on the ship we're going to be on at least to get an idea of what to expect.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...