Share holder benefit

crompton21

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

But presumably you applied for both within a fairly short period, which wouldn’t necessitate having to prove the shareholding twice? The interesting thing will be applying for OBC for another cruise say 6 or 12 months after providing the proof of shareholding. I’m not sure if this service has been going long enough to know, but I’d expect to be asked to confirm shareholding again. 

I am not convinced that my proof of shareholding is of any value after the first application in my scenario. I sent a photo of my share certificate which was accepted. When the OBC is extended beyond 31-12-24 I will be applying for Jan 25 OBC. I will use the same photo if proof is requested, however I could have already sold the shares prior to applying. I assumed that they look at the shares register to see whether you still own the shares. Maybe for people who have them in a portfolio or ISA will need to sent updated account proof? It will be interesting to see how this pans out with the different scenarios.

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

But presumably you applied for both within a fairly short period, which wouldn’t necessitate having to prove the shareholding twice? The interesting thing will be applying for OBC for another cruise say 6 or 12 months after providing the proof of shareholding. I’m not sure if this service has been going long enough to know, but I’d expect to be asked to confirm shareholding again. 

I hope you're wrong @Selbourne, if you still need to provide regular statements to validate your shareholding, then I cannot see any benefit to passengers, and it will likely be quite a bit more expensive for Carnival.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

if you still need to provide regular statements to validate your shareholding, then I cannot see any benefit to passengers, and it will likely be quite a bit more expensive for Carnival.

The cost to Carnival to validate shareholder statements is likely to be trivial - it will all be outsourced work to somewhere that pays pence.

As for passengers - even needing to provide a certificate through the app resulted in a far quicker application of OBC for me (and others here), so even if they ask for updated statements, then that is fine with me. 

54 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

The cost to Carnival to validate shareholder statements is likely to be trivial - it will all be outsourced work to somewhere that pays pence.

As for passengers - even needing to provide a certificate through the app resulted in a far quicker application of OBC for me (and others here), so even if they ask for updated statements, then that is fine with me. 

That's OK if your stockholder provides you with a flexible facility to print out a statement that needs little or no redacting  mine doesn't.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That's OK if your stockholder provides you with a flexible facility to print out a statement that needs little or no redacting  mine doesn't.

Your platform doesn't allow you print a page to PDF and then just use the PDF editor to redact?

I would guess that is a pretty minimal number of Carnival customers who have chosen such a platform, but for everyone else it is easier and quicker, and as before, cheaper for Carnival.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 1

After reading this thread, I bought 100 Carnival shares through AJ Bell.  Downloaded the Stockperks app and sent them a copy of my contract note.

Within a couple of days they verified my application for our cruise on Iona in August.  Unprompted, Cruise118.com, our agent sent an updated invoice showing the £60 obc credited to my account.

Question.  After just a few weeks my shared have gained value.  Can I sell them at a profit and still keep the OBC?

8 hours ago, Derek5001 said:

After reading this thread, I bought 100 Carnival shares through AJ Bell.  Downloaded the Stockperks app and sent them a copy of my contract note.

Within a couple of days they verified my application for our cruise on Iona in August.  Unprompted, Cruise118.com, our agent sent an updated invoice showing the £60 obc credited to my account.

Question.  After just a few weeks my shared have gained value.  Can I sell them at a profit and still keep the OBC?

The wording on the Carnival shareholder benefit page states; "This benefit is available to shareholders holding a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc" so it is not clear as to whether you actually need to hold the shares when you cruise. For a small amount of shares like this they would need to go up considerably to cover the cost of buying and selling to make a profit. I would be surprised if there was anything built into the Stocksperk app to monitor your holding until the date of your cruise? This has been discussed before but I don't remember anyone posting a definitive answer that was anything other that a best guess.

They only cost £5 dealing charge plus £5.39 stamp duty to buy.  Just £5 to sell.   Only need shares to be 16p higher to make a profit.    They're £10.86 now, a week or so ago they were £10.06.

11 hours ago, Derek5001 said:

Can I sell them at a profit

Yes

11 hours ago, Derek5001 said:

and still keep the OBC

Debatable.

If you are planning more Carnival brand cruises then I would keep them as you will be able to claim more OBC and the shares will go up as they are quite low at the moment due to some unease about Carnival's financial restructuring.

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

The wording on the Carnival shareholder benefit page states; "This benefit is available to shareholders holding a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc" so it is not clear as to whether you actually need to hold the shares when you cruise. For a small amount of shares like this they would need to go up considerably to cover the cost of buying and selling to make a profit. I would be surprised if there was anything built into the Stocksperk app to monitor your holding until the date of your cruise? This has been discussed before but I don't remember anyone posting a definitive answer that was anything other that a best guess.

We don’t know because we have no experience of this procedure. Before we had to wait until 3 month before the cruise and when we applied there was a check to see if we still held the shares. Now you can apply up to 9 month early, at the moment, I cannot believe they have given up on the check of ownership. So someone should try to do it and then we would know.

• Haha 1

Looking for some help about Carnival shares - we have 5 P&O cruises booked with P&O which are all 14 nights or more so am thinking it is worth getting some shares for the extra OBC.

But, our next cruise is 4th July this year, would we get OBC for this one or do you have to hold the shares for a period before you can claim OBC ?

We have never held any Carnival shares so any other advice regarding the buying process etc would be appreciated.

You will get £150 obc for each cruise. I’m pretty sure you would get it for a July cruise as you are within the application limit and I don’t think you have to hold them for any period before claiming as long as you hold 100 shares. I’m no expert at share dealing but there are others on here who will be able advise you. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

our next cruise is 4th July this year, would we get OBC for this one

A lot will depend on where you intend buying the shares. If it is through a broker then once the buy has gone through you should be able to link your broker account to Sockperks but if you are buying some other way (such as through your bank) then it will all depend on the paperwork that you will get.

The bottom line is that you need some form of proof of ownership to be able to apply for OBC.

I would also add that now is a good time to buy as Carnival shares are quite low and will probably start to rise.

Edited by david63
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Looking for some help about Carnival shares - we have 5 P&O cruises booked with P&O which are all 14 nights or more so am thinking it is worth getting some shares for the extra OBC.

But, our next cruise is 4th July this year, would we get OBC for this one or do you have to hold the shares for a period before you can claim OBC ?

We have never held any Carnival shares so any other advice regarding the buying process etc would be appreciated.

Bought my shares a couple of weeks ago, for our cruise in August.  I just downloaded the contract note (pdf) and uploaded it to Stockperks.   Credited by P&O in a few days.

Even one seven day cruise and £60 OBC has been worthwhile, you'll be quids in!!!

• Thanks 1

There should be no need to link your broker account to the stockperks app - as that seems to be the most dodgy bit about the new app based system. You just need to buy the shares in a format where you can generate a pdf file of the account showing your name (same as the name of the person going on the cruise) and that you hold 100 shares. Redact all other information.

• Thanks 1

The old process involved staff in each brand validating as best as they could. It was not outsourced, the process was slow, open to manipulation and errors occurred.

With Stockperks standardised data is provided to the staff in each brand. If the evidence meets the rules, Stockperks can provide a validated result which allows the staff member to just add the credit if the booking is an eligible tariff. If Stockperks can’t validate the rule, it’s passed to the staff member to do in full.

Where Stockperks is clever is that if connected to a broker account, it can check share ownership in real time. There is some debate internally about this however I believe that the Ts and Cs will be tightened the next time they are issued to require ownership at point of application and departure. This  will enable validation to be redone at the time of departure (or shortly before).

For anyone updating evidence manually, you may be told to take a copy of your evidence to embarkation/check-in.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:18 PM, molecrochip said:

For anyone updating evidence manually, you may be told to take a copy of your evidence to embarkation/check-in.

That may prove difficult if, like me, you only get a statement every three months as it will still leave a loophole

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, david63 said:

That may prove difficult if, like me, you only get a statement every three months as it will still leave a loophole

I find that very strange. My shares are held in a nominee account with HL. I can download a current statement in .pdf format which I can either print out on paper or keep as a file on my phone suitably redacted.

Brian

Edited by BrianI

8 minutes ago, BrianI said:

I find that very strange. My shares are held in a nominee account with HL. I can download a current statement in .pdf format which I can either print out on paper or keep as a file on my phone suitably redacted.

Mine are in a Shares ISA with my bank

19 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Brian

My nominee account is like David's, I only get a statement every 3 months, which I can print off, the on line live data is difficult to print off, and would need massive redacting.

Has anyone been able to link their Robinhood account in Stockperks? I’m getting a constant “couldn’t connect to your institution” after logging in and providing my 2FA for Robinhood. 

I only purchased the stocks yesterday, and my cruise is next month so I don’t have time to wait for Robinhood to provide a statement (once a month, end of May is next one). 

oops…