Is there a primer for first time Oceania guests?

kstrittm

Hello, all -

I am a seasoned cruiser (30+ on Princess, Carnival, and NCL), but I'm trying Oceania this summer for the first time.  I'm curious to know if there is any sort of introductory document that gives the "do's and don'ts" for first timers.  For instance, is dining in the main dining room at fixed times or do I need reservations or is it first-come first-served?  How do I check my folio while traveling?  What special privileges does a PH suite come with? Is there an online app to check the daily activities, menus, open hours for various shops, bars, etc.?  Does Oceania use hotel-like key cards or are they automated?  Is there a charge for room service? You all get the gist.  I thank you very much in advance....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grand dining room, no reservation required, opening seating.  Speciality restaurants, you’ll be advised when bookings are available.  No charge for room service. Check the O website to see what you get with a PH.  Key cards to open cabin doors.  You’ll get a copy of the Daily Currents each evening which list activities for the following day.

• Like 1

The website, under itinerary and pricing, has a drop-down under each suite/stateroom showing privileges for that particular accommodation.  No reservation needed for GDR, just arrive and register with the desk at the restaurant door, although our butler has sometimes (in the past) made GDR reservations for us.  A way to skip the queue, but it did make us feel too uncomfortable so we afterwards declined offers for that privilege.  The poster above is correct on all counts.

• Like 2

@kstrittm

There are dozens of Oceania experienced posters who monitor this site and MANY refugees from other lines who have just joined the Oceania family so feel free to ask any questions, they are always welcome. 
Hopefully you are working with an Oceania experienced  Travel Agent but if not, always contact Oceania directly to confirm any issues or conflicting answers.  IMHO, there is a difference between Oceania and the many mass market lines and O does things differently so ask if the the answers are contrary to your past cruise line experiences.  
The 4 R Class ships Insignia, Regatta, Nautica, Sirena, 640 ish pax, the 2 O Class ships Marina and Riviera, 1200+ and then the 2 Allura Class, Vista now and Allura in mid 2025, 1200+ pax offer different dining venues and All Specialty dining is INCLUDED as are virtually all the Amenities on an Oceania ship. 
Good luck with your itinerary selection and ship. Again, just ask your questions.

Mauibabes

• Like 2

In addition to the advice in other posts on this thread, you may want to search here for the numerous (and very detailed) posts I (and other O Regulars) have made explaining the idiosyncrasies of (and strategies for) dealing with various O policies and practices including O Life, Simply More, Air Credit, Multi-Segment Cruise bookings, et al. 

• Like 3

The short (and not so sweet) answer to the OP's question is No, there is no primer. (At least that I know of...)

If you take a look at the Azamara board, there's a really useful "Tips for Azamara Newbies" thread that's pinned. Plus it includes a spreadsheet with tremendously useful info that is maintained by one of the forum participants.

I mention this in the hope that the moderator for this forum might set up a similar thread.

• Like 3

A few others to bookmark- not the 'best' threads, just some recent helpful ones

Everyone else feel free to chime in!

Oceania's FAQs  the US version (not always the latest info...)

I'll do each topic as a separate post, that way replies might not get as messy??

I'd also like to nominate @Flatbush Flyer, @ORV, @Sthrngary as current fonts of very detailed information, with a special mention to @mauibabes

• Like 3

Oceania Air policies and best practice

booking O Air after final payment

Basics: O fares are available in the US with air or without ("cruise only" but this still includes the Simply More excursion credits).

+You can choose no air, air just to embarkation, air just from disembarkation, or air on both ends

Air (on embarkation or disembarkation day) now includes bus transfers from the airport to the ship or vice versa

+Arriving early or staying later up to 3 days is now allowed without extra deviation fee (but will not include transfers)

+If you want a specific routing or carrier, or an earlier/later arrival than included, or business class you will be paying a deviation fee - per person, per cruise start/end point. Deviations your TA will get options (you can request specific) and pricing BEFORE the fee is due. Fare charges if any are in addition to the deviation fee

My opinion/experience: O doesn't really *want* to book your air but sometimes it can make sense. Always do the math even for economy, and business class is rarely a deal. One-way TATL or TPAC may be the exception if you are happy in coach or if the PE upcharge is a deal (only upgrades your seat on the long over-water segment). Don't blame me if you fly in day-of-embarcation and there's a hassle or disaster

Believe what @FlyerTalker says

Alcohol policy thread 2023/2024 including good stuff from @Flatbush Flyer and others

Included Drinks thread 2024 (a related topic)

Basics: O is passenger and drinker friendly.

+Fares include wine-by-the-glass and beer-by-the-glass with meals (including room service) when bars are open. Includes sparkling-by-the-glass, often a port-by-the-glass, and non-alcoholic-wine/beer-by-the-glass - well, definitely the beer, not sure if  0%wine is always available?

+You can pay $30pp pd more to include anytime by-the-glass and anytime spirits and cocktails (no change to level of included wines/beers). Some highest-end spirits and single-venue choices (for example, sake in Red Ginger) are excluded, there is no $-based rule (sake may be less expensive than some included spirits for example)

+You can bring on alcohol (wine, beer, spirits) for your own consumption, no effective limit. Paying a corkage fee for a bottle of wine in a restaurant is the ONLY allowable way to drink your own alcohol outside your cabin. You can order empty glasses from/with room service!

+Paid beverage packages get you discount on by-the-bottle purchases and some wine events

My opinion/experience-wine geeks love O but also bring some of their own wine. FYI it's not a party-hardy environment

O does website maintenance on weekends - don't panic if x or y is missing or you can't log in

O wifi not yet all Starlink

O does *not* have an app (yet? ever?)

Basics: O is steam-age for much IT

+Your double occupancy fare comes with free 2 logins, one device live at a time per login, multiple devices can register

+'Streaming' upcharge ($10 per login per day) does not get you more bandwidth, just unlocks streaming content

+Early am or while everyone is ashore are your best wifi performance windows

Onboard booking and pre-trip / welcome home vouchers

Booking direct vs using a TA

Sales

Basics: there is a discount to booking onboard, and deposit amounts are typically lower

+at the moment, you may get a "30 day prior same as onboard" booking letter, and usually if you do not book onboard you will get a "welcome home" voucher letter for same as onboard

+Unless you ask, your new booking gets assigned to the TA of your in-progress cruise. You can assign the new booking to a different TA, or leave it "open" (you have 14 days after disembarking to assign it to a TA)

+you don't have to use any TA, in which case O is your TA ("direct")

+opinions vary if TA or direct is better, TA proponents like the personal service and/or discounts/rebates, "direct" like control and no one stuck in the middle

+sales may or may not stack with onboard savings, your TA or the Oceania Onboard Ambassador (is that OA or OOA lol) should be able to tell you

+don't wait until the last full day of the cruise to book, or if you do expect a long line if you have any questions

My opinion: if you're going to cruise O again, booking onboard makes sense

22 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Fares include wine-by-the-glass and beer-by-the-glass with meals (including room service) when bars are open.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure - having booked with Simply More - that you get the beer and wine in the dining venues only. Not the bars or room service.

Excursions the best practice

Basics: all newly sold fares are on "Simply More" aka SM basis, meaning you get use-it-or-lose-it credit to use for O excursions only.

+Excursions are usually loaded 365 days prior to the cruise. You can look up ports on the O website to see descriptions (even if your cruise's excursions aren't yet loaded). Your TA will send you a pdf of excursions when available, either one year out or when you make your deposit

+OS = Oceania Select - in theory a more 'special' tour typically including cultural connections that are more interesting; usually a smaller group say 15-25 but might still be on a big bus (with plenty of empty seats)

+OE = Oceania Exclusive - same description as a "regular" tour but a smaller group, 10 - 16 people

+many ports also offer a "private car" option, spendier than DIY but if you need to use up some SM credits might be helpful

+SM credits are per person and cannot be pooled. Don't say I told you, but they rarely check names on the excursion tickets so if Mr. Babysteps' credits pay for an excursion and Mrs. Babysteps shows up with the ticket I'm not sure anything terrible would happen. I've never actually done this though...

+if an excursion bought with SM credits is cancelled, you can only use the refunded credits on another excursion that same cruise. SM is relatively new so we're all learning - best advice is to frontload the SM-paid excursion so if there are any glitches you have as many days as possible to not 'lose' the credits.

Dress Code

Seems to come up over and over again lol

Related, Laundry prices and included laundry concierge and up

Dress basics: casual but not sloppy is the overall vibe. Smart casual (aka country club casual) for the specialties or GDR. If you want to be dressier, go for it but you may not have a lot of company.

Laundry basics: free laundry machines for all guests on all ships (but much more limited on R class), detergent is provided free. Paid or included laundry service also available.

+no shorts for specialties, GDR or Captain's party - at least not in the venue where the captain is

+"no sandals" for GDR/specialties means no grungy flip-flops or teva's. Dressy sandals are fine for ladies

+jackets and ties are never required for men, you will see a fair number of jackets in specialties but also lots of golf-shirts-and-chinos

+Many folks say "think Chicos" for ladies. I think this makes sense, but neither me nor my spouse has yet set foot in Chicos...

My opinion: many many people have strong views on what 'appropriate' dress is for a given venue. Often these views have little to do with the stated requirements. I love you all and will decline to participate in most of the spirited discussion! Also however much you over- or under-pack is fine by me, as long as I am not required to follow your exact rules or carry your luggage.

22 minutes ago, clo said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure - having booked with Simply More - that you get the beer and wine in the dining venues only. Not the bars or room service.

Basic SM has to be with a meal, so yes you are correct no SM basic by-the-glass is included bars. If you upgrade then this restriction doesn't apply.

See comment by @cruisemom42, if you order a meal from room service you can get an included glass with it, as long as a bar is open (so not at 3am)

Edited by babysteps

2 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Has to be with a meal, so correct not in bars.

Please someone correct me if wrong, thought if you order a meal from room service you can get an included glass with it, as long as a bar is open (so not at 3am)?

Will this work for you? Did you have it delivered to your cabin? Notice that it says "at" not "from".

It means toasting to more of life's special moments on board with our FREE House Select beverage package, which includes a wide selection of vintage Champagnes, wines and beers during lunch and dinner at our onboard restaurants.

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Not in bars but yes with room service during dining venue hours - ie. - you order lunch or dinner via room service along with a glass of wine....we have found that as long as we order some sort of food item along with the wine/beer during the hours GD, Waves and Terrace are open we have not been charged for the wine/beer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, basor said:

Not in bars but yes with room service during dining venue hours - ie. - you order lunch or dinner via room service along with a glass of wine....we have found that as long as we order some sort of food item along with the wine/beer during the hours GD, Waves and Terrace are open we have not been charged for the wine/beer

Thanks. Glad to have some real experience.

The more information you provide--ship, cabin, date, location--the better the response. Ship and cabin are critical!

I've got 30 nights on Riviera since 12/2021 and 10 nights on Sirena 11/2022 with 22 more nights on Sirena coming up in late August. But NONE of this was or will be in a PH or higher. I'll have experience in F, C, B, and A cabins. Thus, for example, I met Southern Gary on Riviera back in November but much of what he wrote, his experiences in a Suite, have any applicability to my cabins.

And trust me, there are huge differences in cabins on the same ship and even more importantly across ships.

So many unique features, too. Compare the 2 specialty restaurants on 3 of the smaller Rs to Sirena, which is the only one to have Red Ginger on her. Or the unique large therapy pool on Riviera not shared on Marina. Etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kstrittm said:

Hello, all -

I am a seasoned cruiser (30+ on Princess, Carnival, and NCL), but I'm trying Oceania this summer for the first time.  I'm curious to know if there is any sort of introductory document that gives the "do's and don'ts" for first timers.  For instance, is dining in the main dining room at fixed times or do I need reservations or is it first-come first-served?  How do I check my folio while traveling?  What special privileges does a PH suite come with? Is there an online app to check the daily activities, menus, open hours for various shops, bars, etc.?  Does Oceania use hotel-like key cards or are they automated?  Is there a charge for room service? You all get the gist.  I thank you very much in advance....

@kstrittm I kind of know how you feel about wanting some information.  Also, I loved when I did my first Crystal Cruise, one of the best and most loyal Crystal Clients did a great topic for new Crystal Guest.  I always remember how helpful it was.  

I did this FAQ document and never posted it.  I will give you a copy below and hope it will assist in some way.  Remember, I am not perfect but if others say something I go wrong or not complete they will let us know.  Also, @MEFIowa makes a very valid point that your stateroom can make a difference.  Never to hesitate to ask any question.  This is a safe environment. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Oceania_Cruises_FAQ.pdf

• Like 2