Medallion required?

shofer

I haven't been on Princess for several years and so new to this Medallion thing-y.  I saw on another thread that it $I0/pp.  Is it worth it?  Doesn't your key card still work? Or is this just another scam that Princess is using to generate more revenue?

My friend & I are booked for a British Isles cruise in September and really looking forward to it.

Sue

Posted (edited)

The Medallion replaces the old key card, you can carry it in a pocket or purse or wear it on a lanyard or a clip.  You can pick it up at the pier.  The Medallion APP is where you do your check in, reserve dining etc.   

Edited by durangokid
clarity
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, shofer said:

I haven't been on Princess for several years and so new to this Medallion thing-y.  I saw on another thread that it $I0/pp.  Is it worth it?  Doesn't your key card still work? Or is this just another scam that Princess is using to generate more revenue?

My friend & I are booked for a British Isles cruise in September and really looking forward to it.

Sue

The Medallion has zero cost. If you don't book with Princess Plus or Premier fare then it will cost $10 - total not per person - to have them shipped to your home. There is no requirement to pay this fee as you can simply wait and pick up the Medallions at the port in the same manner you previously picked up the Cruise Card at the port. There are no longer key cards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The Medallion has zero cost. If you don't book with Princess Plus or Premier fare then it will cost $10 - total not per person - to have them shipped to your home. There is no requirement to pay this fee as you can simply wait and pick up the Medallions at the port in the same manner you previously picked up the Cruise Card at the port. There are no longer key cards.

There are no longer key cards.

I guess the videos I've been watching are old since they show people using a key card.  Thanks for the prompt answer.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Another question!  What is Medallion Class?  I wish the website was easier to navigate.

4 minutes ago, shofer said:

Another question!  What is Medallion Class?  I wish the website was easier to navigate.

Medallion Class is simply the "Princess way" of saying the ship uses the Medallion. When it first came out the vast majority of Princess ships were still using the Cruise Cards so they wanted to distinguish the ships that used the new technology. All Princess ships use the Medallions today so it's just more Princess hype.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This video from Princess does a good introduction to the Medallion.  At the end of the video, there are more Medallion videos for you to explore, they will get you from the bachelor's degree in Medallionology to a master's in it.  Enjoy it!  It does simplify carrying around a hotel type key card.  One note, if you have a pacemaker or other implanted device, get a wrist band instead of using the complimentary lanyard.  The Medallion does have a magnet in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

One note, if you have a pacemaker or other implanted device, get a wrist band instead of using the complimentary lanyard.  The Medallion does have a magnet in it.

Daniel's warning to passengers with pacemakers is prudent.  Don't wear the medallion on a lanyard (or a decorative chain) around your neck if you have a pacemaker.  On the positive side, there have been multiple reports, here on Cruise Critic, from passengers with pacemakers, and they have encountered not problems associated with the medallion device.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, durangokid said:

The Medallion APP is where you do your check in, reserve dining etc.   

The new app is just called the Princess Cruises app. They no longer call it the Medallion App as it was only causing confusion, as illustrated here. 

As others have said the medallion simply replaces the old key card. It has some enhanced functionality like unlocking your cabin door as you approach. 

Screenshot_20240312_144915_Google Play Store.jpg

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

Daniel's warning to passengers with pacemakers is prudent.  Don't wear the medallion on a lanyard (or a decorative chain) around your neck if you have a pacemaker.  On the positive side, there have been multiple reports, here on Cruise Critic, from passengers with pacemakers, and they have encountered not problems associated with the medallion device.

When retuning to the ship, (or for that matter, going through TSA at the airport) I get the attention of an agent and I tap my upper chest and I get waived around the metal detector and briefly patted down.  It actually makes getting through security faster and less trying.  I often beat DW who is still standing in the metal detector line.  😄 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

When retuning to the ship, (or for that matter, going through TSA at the airport) I get the attention of an agent and I tap my upper chest and I get waived around the metal detector and briefly patted down.  It actually makes getting through security faster and less trying.  I often beat DW who is still standing in the metal detector line.  😄 

Congratulations.   The metal in various parts of my body makes security checks an adventure.  Went to carrying a letter (which I often forget) and emailing a copy of the letter to myself and saving bit to my phone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Congratulations.   The metal in various parts of my body makes security checks an adventure.  Went to carrying a letter (which I often forget) and emailing a copy of the letter to myself and saving bit to my phone.

Sometimes the TSA sends me through the Full Body Scanner, but some places don't have them.  Princess says that the magnet in the medallion is normally not an issue for implanted devices if you keep the medallion at least 9 inches from the implanted device but advises checking with your health care provider.  That's why I use either the wrist band or a belt clip.

Medallion FAQ page:  Princess MedallionClass® - Frequently Asked Questions - Princess Cruises

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, XBGuy said:

B

Yes, checking with Medtronic (DH's ICD maker) confirmed that as long as it was at least 6 inches away from the ICD, no problem. The included lanyard was plenty long to do that. I would suggest anyone with concerns to check with their device manufacturer or their cardiologist.

Edited by WisCruiser2
Fix typo
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Thrak said:

There are no longer key cards.

There are key cards. It is required since there is a warning for people with pacemakers that the magnet in the medallion "could" interfere with the pacemaker. Princess needs to limit their liability on this issue. I went to guest services and got a regular key card. You still need to pick up the medallion at the pier, they do not have key cards. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

There are key cards. It is required since there is a warning for people with pacemakers that the magnet in the medallion "could" interfere with the pacemaker. Princess needs to limit their liability on this issue. I went to guest services and got a regular key card. You still need to pick up the medallion at the pier, they do not have key cards. 

You're kidding !

They issue a medallion to get you on the ship or mail it to your home, only to turn it in for a key card a guest services? 

That's a real money saver. 😁

26 minutes ago, 555 said:

You're kidding !

They issue a medallion to get you on the ship or mail it to your home, only to turn it in for a key card a guest services? 

I believe the medallion has access to information like security photo etc than the card. We just stick the medallion in our pockets lanyards are way to touristy to us

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, 555 said:

You're kidding !

The number of people who also get the key card in addition to the Medallion is so insignificant that if Princess weren't offering it, they might lose whole bookings.  Now, that would be a bigger loss than issuing a key card for use on the ship.  You don't 'turn in' the medallion, you still may need it for embarkation and disembarkation at ports of call.  Maybe @cruzsnooze can confirm if the keycard also replaces the medallion for embarkation and disembarkation or if it is only used onboard.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The number of people who also get the key card in addition to the Medallion is so insignificant that if Princess weren't offering it, they might lose whole bookings.  Now, that would be a bigger loss than issuing a key card for use on the ship.  You don't 'turn in' the medallion, you still may need it for embarkation and disembarkation at ports of call.  Maybe @cruzsnooze can confirm if the keycard also replaces the medallion for embarkation and disembarkation or if it is only used onboard.

I had to turn in the medallion at guest services. They did not let me keep both. When I disembarked at ports I merely swiped the scan bar on the card at the machine. The crew looked at it as if it was an anomaly which it was to them. Last cruise a month ago i did use a medallion and kept it in an RFID sleeve which is made for credit cards. The sleeves are cheap and sold everywhere for under $2 a 5 pack. I checked to see if it was effective and my door did not unlock when the medallion was in the sleeve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1