Queen Anne

Hoveto

I'm willing, based on the marvelous job Cunard did with changing the basic Vista design to give us QE and QV, to trust them on Queen Anne until given the chance to see for myself. That said, I REALLY hope the next time Cunard builds a ship it is a liner and not a cruise ship - give QM2 a true running mate. 

• Like 5

On 3/23/2024 at 10:18 AM, sogne said:

Southampton local paper is reporting QA arrival as 1030 27th April at City Terminal.

Thank you. I'm just so pleased that the arrival details have now been published.

Some of us have been under an embargo on discussing our sea borne arrival programme.

12 hours ago, paulco said:

I agree, love QM2, she’s a grand ship and deserves a running mate.

Unless there's a market for two ships crossing the Atlantic there won't be a second liner (or maybe for a ship that is permanently on round world voyages). Why would they build a more expensive ship just to send on cruises. QA already has 20% more capacity than QM2 and is a cheaper build than a new QM2. I don't think "deserves" comes in to it for an inanimate object*

(*is that sacrilege?!)

QM2 probably has 20 years left - maybe they'll start thinking about a replacement in 10 years?

• Like 1

Gutted that QA arrives into Southampton on 27th. We are returning to Southampton on the 28th on Arvia and hoped her arrival would be that day. We had planned to disembark Arvia and stay in Southampton for QAs arrival. Will just have to be satisfied with hopefully a quick glance as we pass Mayflower on our way home.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Gutted that QA arrives into Southampton on 27th. We are returning to Southampton on the 28th on Arvia and hoped her arrival would be that day. We had planned to disembark Arvia and stay in Southampton for QAs arrival. Will just have to be satisfied with hopefully a quick glance as we pass Mayflower on our way home.

Hah. It was close call for us as well. But that's the look of the draw and we will be out on the water to welcome her arrival.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Hah. It was close call for us as well. But that's the look of the draw and we will be out on the water to welcome her arrival.

It's a tough life for you folks, all these cruises... I have to wait a couple of years between them; trying to convince OH to take more. 

We've only done QM2 to NY so far, which she actually enjoyed; tempting her with the literary crossing in 2026...

Hopefully she enjoys QA to the fjords in June. I'm not that keen on, say, a med cruise where you get to spend so little time in places you'd like a few days in.  A cruise to Rio sounds tempting - to me...

Maybe I can get her on a short Christmas market trip to Bruges or somewhere...

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

It's a tough life for you folks, all these cruises... I have to wait a couple of years between them; trying to convince OH to take more. 

We've only done QM2 to NY so far, which she actually enjoyed; tempting her with the literary crossing in 2026...

Hopefully she enjoys QA to the fjords in June. I'm not that keen on, say, a med cruise where you get to spend so little time in places you'd like a few days in.  A cruise to Rio sounds tempting - to me...

Maybe I can get her on a short Christmas market trip to Bruges or somewhere...

I’m in the same “boat”, having to convince DW to get on a “cruise” ship. However, she does like Cunard and we have enjoyed many voyages and Alaska on QE coming up. Resort/amusement park cruises, we both agree to avoid those. 

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’m in the same “boat”, having to convince DW to get on a “cruise” ship. However, she does like Cunard and we have enjoyed many voyages and Alaska on QE coming up. Resort/amusement park cruises, we both agree to avoid those. 

I quite fancy the short transfer (3 day cruise) from Vancouver to SF as I want to visit both places...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I quite fancy the short transfer (3 day cruise) from Vancouver to SF as I want to visit both places...

It’s a long way from Cambridge for a few days. Perhaps you could add QM2 at least one way, and a wondrous transcontinental rail trip.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It’s a long way from Cambridge for a few days. Perhaps you could add QM2 at least one way, and a wondrous transcontinental rail trip.

Well yes if we were retired!

Obviously would tie in a road trip Vancouver/Banff/Jasper/Vancouver and 3 or 4 nights in SF...

As for QM2 is it slightly cheaper W>E as you get 10 hours less on board? And less time to eat all that food.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Well yes if we were retired!

Obviously would tie in a road trip Vancouver/Banff/Jasper/Vancouver and 3 or 4 nights in SF...

As for QM2 is it slightly cheaper W>E as you get 10 hours less on board? And less time to eat all that food.

It's actually 5 hours, and no, they don't discount the price. In fact, one of her captains joked in his remarks at a cocktail party, that westbound is a bargain because you get 5 extra hours for free.

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's actually 5 hours, and no, they don't discount the price. In fact, one of her captains joked in his remarks at a cocktail party, that westbound is a bargain because you get 5 extra hours for free.

It's 10 as one crossing is 5 hours shorter and the other is 5 hours longer. Difference W>E to E>W is 10 hours less on board

The westbound was nice as gave a little more time to fit 4 meals a day in...

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Interesting question. I priced all the 2025/26 QM2 crossings between Southampton and New York on the Cunard US website using the listed "from" fares plus taxes, fees and port expenses for each general category of cabin (Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, Club Balcony, Princess Grill and Queens Grill).

On average, calculating the per day fares across those six categories of cabins, I found the US fares were 7.8% higher sailing westbound compared to eastbound.

That's a bit more than a wash considering the duration of a 7-night westbound crossing is approximately 6.6% longer than a 7-night eastbound crossing (162.5 hours westbound versus 152.5 hours eastbound using the usual scheduled 5:00pm departure and 6:30am arrival times in both directions).

• Like 2

@bluemarble That's a fair (fare!) bit of work...I suspected it may be a touch cheaper Eastbound but only due to supply and demand: demand for longer days and arriving in NYC rather than Southampton (well...we had dense fog...).

Skyscrapers or oil terminals...? Tough choice...

I only ever considered Westbound - but I guess US customers may prefer the reverse.  Eastbound may be a bit more comfortable (sea tending to be following...?)

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

@bluemarble That's a fair (fare!) bit of work...I suspected it may be a touch cheaper Eastbound but only due to supply and demand: demand for longer days and arriving in NYC rather than Southampton (well...we had dense fog...).

Skyscrapers or oil terminals...? Tough choice...

I only ever considered Westbound - but I guess US customers may prefer the reverse.  Eastbound may be a bit more comfortable (sea tending to be following...?)

Following seas, but also following weather systems. I've done EB TAs and had rainy weather travel with us most of the way. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Filling in time until it starts cruising… about 90 days for me now. What else can we say until it starts? 😉

Well, I hope Cunard will begin to drip feed us some more information, and, above all, pictures. 

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I hope Cunard will begin to drip feed us some more information, and, above all, pictures. 

Totally agree. We only manage one voyage each year. A big part of the fun for me is the planning - especially on a ship new to us. I realise a lot of people just like to get onboard and be surprised and discover what’s available as they go. For us the time onboard is precious, and I don’t want to miss a thing.
On this occasion the ship is new to everybody. Info about the possibilities is extremely scarce. This latest email has virtually no new info at all - other than P&P(sort of).  Let’s see pictures, menus, insight speakers. Please Cunard feed our excitement and anticipation. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

Totally agree. We only manage one voyage each year. A big part of the fun for me is the planning - especially on a ship new to us. I realise a lot of people just like to get onboard and be surprised and discover what’s available as they go. For us the time onboard is precious, and I don’t want to miss a thing.
On this occasion the ship is new to everybody. Info about the possibilities is extremely scarce. This latest email has virtually no new info at all - other than P&P(sort of).  Let’s see pictures, menus, insight speakers. Please Cunard feed our excitement and anticipation. 

Some indications of the menus of the new restaurants would be great. And just a few actual pictures of real places. Some bits must be ready, surely. As for insight speakers, they may not know yet. But anticipation is definitely building. 

• Like 2