Are Coleman foldable chairs allowed?

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Do any of the other solo cruisers have thoughts on the Lanai cabins for one person?

It should be all right, especially for a shorter cruise.

The couch is closer to the outside wall than in other outside cabins, so it is tight trying to get by the bed to get to that area. The desk is small enough as to be called 'non-existent' as compared to non-lanai outside cabins. It doesn't have the generous drawers, but there is shelf space in the closets; very little top to the desk. 

The bathroom vanity is smaller than found in the insides, as it is in the shower footprint of the insides, but that makes the lanai shower area larger. Storage in the bathroom is just a little tighter, but for one person, that should be enough. 

The cabin itself is smaller than the inside cabins (186 sq. ft.) across the passageway, which are smaller than the outside cabins (196 sq. ft.) on the lower decks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, oakridger said:

When I was looking at a Volendam cruise, as a solo who prefers veranda cabins, the Lanai was considerably lower fare than the Vista Suites.  I figure that the Lanai cabin would be acceptable size wise for one person.  I haven't tried one yet though.

Do any of the other solo cruisers have thoughts on the Lanai cabins for one person?

~Nancy

Friends tried a lanai. They felt it was tight for two people but would be comfortable for one. On some cruises, the price difference between lanai and vista suite could buy a lot of wine at dinner.

• Like 2

I had a lanai once on Veendam (S class).

Yes, it was right at the foot of the bed (I’m not a large person- at the time I wore a size 4) and the “sofa” was really an oversized chair: my feet ( knees down) hung over when I napped on it. I ended up using the sliding door as my entrance instead of the “back” door. And that sliding door was really heavy for me to open.

• Thanks 2

Folding camp chairs, if left unattended for even a minute or two on deck, can blow away, or even overboard. Can we imagine the excitement if a camp chair blew in to one of your fellow passengers as they walked along the prom deck ?  😮

• Haha 1

On our last couple of cruises the Promenade Deck was blocked off because of rough seas. We've seen lanai cabins on only a few cruises. When the Prom Deck is closed, does that affect the lanai cabin occupants' access to their lanais?

I don't see a lanai in our future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petronillus said:

On our last couple of cruises the Promenade Deck was blocked off because of rough seas. We've seen lanai cabins on only a few cruises. When the Prom Deck is closed, does that affect the lanai cabin occupants' access to their lanais?

I don't see a lanai in our future.

I hadn't thought about that, but I think it would. Chairs certainly would not be set out. Perhaps room stewards have some kind of pre=printed note that they can put in cabins for such a situation. 

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thank you @RuthC, @3rdGenCunarder and @TiogaCruiser!  I think you have talked me out of a Lanai Cabin.  It may depend on how full my bank account is at the time of booking though!   I don't have anything pending on Volendam at the moment so any decision can wait.

~Nancy

A good second choice might be an ocean view cabin on the promenade deck. While you would not have direct access to the deck, there are enough openings to provide an exit to the outdoors. Although you would not have your own chair, I suspect (although I can't say for sure) that you should be able to secure a spot for at least part of the day. We sailed in a promenade ocean view cabin on the Maasdam, and I had no qualms about slipping out onto the deck in my pj'sand robe for a breath of fresh air before turning in for the night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Petronillus said:

When the Prom Deck is closed, does that affect the lanai cabin occupants' access to their lanais?

Yes. If an area of the promenade is closed for tender use, work on the lifeboats, etc., that area is closed off from passengers, and that includes passengers who have cabins in the area. 
I expect if the entire promenade is closed off due to sea/wind conditions that also means ALL the passengers in lanai cabins as well are not supposed to go out via their cabin door. 

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

When I was looking at a Volendam cruise, as a solo who prefers veranda cabins, the Lanai was considerably lower fare than the Vista Suites.  I figure that the Lanai cabin would be acceptable size wise for one person.  I haven't tried one yet though.

~Nancy

Ok, I will jump in here.  We took a 49 day cruise in a lanai cabin.  We don't pack excessively, we aren't very large people, and we loved it.  Never had a problem with others using the reserved loungers and really liked the fact that we had some privacy when we chatted when we used them.  When we have a balcony, we always feel the neighbors are a bit close, and we can hear their conversations unfortunately.  I'd book a lanai again in a New York minute.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RuthC said:

Yes. If an area of the promenade is closed for tender use, work on the lifeboats, etc., that area is closed off from passengers, and that includes passengers who have cabins in the area. 
I expect if the entire promenade is closed off due to sea/wind conditions that also means ALL the passengers in lanai cabins as well are not supposed to go out via their cabin door. 

Wouldn’t that also be true if one was in a balcony cabin? (Meaning the sea/wind conditions)

51 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Wouldn’t that also be true if one was in a balcony cabin? (Meaning the sea/wind conditions)

As far as I know, yes, occupants of balcony cabins are supposed to stay inside, too. One difference is their doors are not closed off, and they can get out there. 

I remember a cruise with very high seas for a very long time. A friend and her husband were in a balcony cabin, and he went out to watch the storm and the waves. She was screaming at him to get inside! She was still a bit terrified as she told the tale! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

As far as I know, yes, occupants of balcony cabins are supposed to stay inside, too. One difference is their doors are not closed off, and they can get out there. 

I remember a cruise with very high seas for a very long time. A friend and her husband were in a balcony cabin, and he went out to watch the storm and the waves. She was screaming at him to get inside! She was still a bit terrified as she told the tale! 

I've never been told to stay off my balcony because of rough weather, but if it's really bad, the wind takes care of the issue. A few times in rough weather, I have been unable to push the balcony door open more than a crack. And it occurred to me that if I did manage to get out to the balcony, could I get the door open to go back inside? 

• Like 3

Some ships balcony doors have mag locks controlled by engineering/the bridge so they cannot be opened in poor conditions. When ours locked one time on Princess, we asked what would happen if passenger got locked out on the balcony.

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Some ships balcony doors have mag locks controlled by engineering/the bridge so they cannot be opened in poor conditions. When ours locked one time on Princess, we asked what would happen if passenger got locked out on the balcony.

And the answer was???

34 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

And the answer was???

I really should have been more complete - we asked each other (cabinmate and I) not Princess. So I'd like to know, as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I really should have been more complete - we asked each other (cabinmate and I) not Princess. So I'd like to know, as well.

Ah, thanks.