Input requested: Princess--differences between early 2020 cruise and now?

mizLORInj

HI all.   Our last Princess cruise was a week before the shutdown--late February 2020.  We had a fabulous aft corner suite on Regal Princess and it was a wonderful cruise.

I know that all cruise lines have had cutbacks and have experienced them myself since late 2021.  

We are looking at Caribbean Princess (love that ship) for 2025.   I realize it's old; I remember the first time I saw it in 2005--I was on another ship in Jamaica and when CP pulled in, I said WE ARE GOING ON THAT NEXT!!!  I do love that class of ship. 

So what have you noticed has changed on Princess over the past few years?   (besides pricing structure) 

Thanks in advance, and happy cruising to all!    🙂  

20 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

HI all.   Our last Princess cruise was a week before the shutdown--late February 2020.  We had a fabulous aft corner suite on Regal Princess and it was a wonderful cruise.

I know that all cruise lines have had cutbacks and have experienced them myself since late 2021.  

We are looking at Caribbean Princess (love that ship) for 2025.   I realize it's old; I remember the first time I saw it in 2005--I was on another ship in Jamaica and when CP pulled in, I said WE ARE GOING ON THAT NEXT!!!  I do love that class of ship. 

So what have you noticed has changed on Princess over the past few years?   (besides pricing structure) 

Thanks in advance, and happy cruising to all!    🙂  

For us the changes have been negligible. The biggest change is on ships that had free sit down pizza restaurants that were free. There is now a charge for them. We have always taken packages and you will notice that they are more expensive. We are fairly laid back cruisers so not much turns us off. There is some wear and tear on the older ships so the date of the last dry dock should be looked at

Just now, memoak said:

For us the changes have been negligible. The biggest change is on ships that had free sit down pizza restaurants that were free. There is now a charge for them. . . 

noooooooooooooooooo!   the pizza was great!   I can't believe it's no longer included in cruise fare!    Well, I guess I can.

Thanks. 

To be honest we have had nothing but a great time on our Spring 2022 Panama Canal and Oct 2023 Canadian cruises on the Caribbean Princess in our aft-facing vista suites. We also had a blast on our Summer 2022 Med cruise on the Regal and Summer 2023 Japan cruise on the Diamond in Reserve Collection (formerly Club Class) mini-suites. We also just got back from a 30-day Antarctica/SA B2B on the Sapphire in an aft-facing vista suite. They all had one thing in common that we never had an issue with, dining in the Reserve Dining Room, where the food was always hot and tasty and the service impeccable! I also posted to Live From threads on those cruises which you can find in my below expanded signature area.

Bottom line, you’re going to have a great cruise, especially if you book a Reserve Class or higher category cabin where you get to dine in the Reserve Dining Room! 😁

5 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

noooooooooooooooooo!   the pizza was great!   I can't believe it's no longer included in cruise fare!    Well, I guess I can.

Thanks. 

As far as I know the ship you mentioned does not have a pizzeria. There is still pizza by the slice on lido

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

As far as I know the ship you mentioned does not have a pizzeria. There is still pizza by the slice on lido

oh ok.  I remember there was a pizza place on the Lido (?) deck?   We frequented it---also on Crown and Emerald if I remember correctly, but it was prob 10 years ago.    But it was the best pizza at sea at the time!

Thanks

Posted (edited)

We were on the last cruise for Star Princess in early 2020 (came home March 13th) and we’ve cruised Princess quite a few times since. There haven’t been any huge changes to our notice. Like everything else lately it just feels like you are paying more and getting a little less. As mentioned above, making more casual restaurants pay to eat. I’m also not crazy about the class system being implemented on Sun Princess. We really liked that all of our friends and family have access to nearly all amenities on the ship regardless of which cabin type they choose to stay in. But, the great news is we can still all travel together on other ships like Caribbean Princess. Otherwise, cruising Princess still feels very similar to me in 2024 as it did in 2020. Otherwise, I wouldn’t keep coming back. 

Edited by ChristiCruising

1 minute ago, ChristiCruising said:

We were on the last cruise for Star Princess in early 2020 (came home March 13th) and we’ve cruised Princes quite a few times since. There haven’t been any huge changes to our notice. Like everything else lately it just feels like you are paying more and getting a little less. As mentioned above, making more casual restaurants pay to eat. I’m also not crazy about the class system being implemented on Sun Princess. We really liked that all of our friends and family have access to nearly all amenities on the ship regardless of which cabin type they choose to stay in. But, the great news is we can still all travel together on other ships like Caribbean Princess. Otherwise, cruising Princess still feels very similar to me in 2024 as it did in 2020. Otherwise, I wouldn’t keep coming back. 

On the Caribbean Princess there were no free casual venues   The only casual venues that were free were sitdown pizza restaurants and this ship does not have that

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

On the Caribbean Princess there were no free casual venues   The only casual venues that were free were sitdown pizza restaurants and this ship does not have that

Sorry if this caused confusion. I see that OP is planning to travel on Caribbean Princess. I was referring to changes that I have experienced on various ships in the fleet. 

Cruising is still great.

Couple differences I can think of:

1)  Prices are higher.  Gratuities are also up.

2)  Free internet minutes have been replaced by 50% off daily or cruise long internet packages (which are also more expensive)

3)  Dining reservation system has changed and is app based.

4) Steamers and Planks now alternate nights rather than having both open each evening.

5) few small differences in loyalty perks

6) Coffee card is no longer available

7) Princess Plus and Premier have access to dining options that are now pay venues for non plus cruisers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mud_Shark said:

Cruising is still great.

Couple differences I can think of:

1)  Prices are higher.  Gratuities are also up.

2)  Free internet minutes have been replaced by 50% off daily or cruise long internet packages (which are also more expensive)

3)  Dining reservation system has changed and is app based.

4) Steamers and Planks now alternate nights rather than having both open each evening.

5) few small differences in loyalty perks

6) Coffee card is no longer available

7) Princess Plus and Premier have access to dining options that are now pay venues for non plus cruisers.

Also packages also let you call room service or use app ordering for food or drink at no charge otherwise there is a fee Of course that app order may or may not show up in a timely fashion if at all

The Lido pizza you're referring to is still there, still good, and still free.

Not a whole ton is different.  Medallion functionality has evolved a good bit and makes life easier in a lot of ways but still short of perfection.

I feel like bars are busier due to the Plus package. It's not surprising that a lot more people have a drink package given the plus package is less than the original drink package and includes more than just drinks, but this has increased the relative proportion of people on board making sure they get their money's worth on their drink packages and I'm not terribly convinced that Princess has staffed up the bars with any more bartenders.  It's not so bad I'd consider it a big deal at all but if I had to come up with something it does pop to mind.

• Like 1

Cruising on Princess has a much more casual vibe post pandemic. 

The crowds are changing, more family friendly, less of the stuffy crowd. 

Changed for the better. 

We find cruising to be the best value for our vacations, especially with Princess Plus. 

12 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

What's the platinum lounge like?  I don't remember that in the past. 

It is in Skywalkers. For Platinum, Elite or people in suites. It has Discounted drinks and some snacks.

1 minute ago, pathi said:

It is in Skywalkers. For Platinum, Elite or people in suites. It has Discounted drinks and some snacks.

ok thanks.   Love Skywalkers.    Any time or set hours for visiting the lounge?  

The cruises during 22 and early 23 were impacted quite a bit due to staffing and supply chain issues. Cruises in the last part of 23 and today are pretty much back to normal as far as service, food quality, etc.

You do have some permanent changes due to the pushing of packages and the medallion system, along with some new charges for room service. 

3 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

ok thanks.   Love Skywalkers.    Any time or set hours for visiting the lounge?  

Yes 5 to 7 I think? There should be an invitation in your cabin.

Specific to the Caribbean Princess: 

The ship is still pretty much the same.  I believe the cigar lounge is/will be soon turned into a vending machine arcade.  (Secretly wished they had turned it into a non-smoking slot room.)

If you are is in full suite, you will have access to a roving concierge.  

If you are in Reserved Collection mini-suite or Full suite, you may dine in the Reserve Collection part of the MDR on Deck 6.

Lots more revenue activities.

Lots more noise and activities in the Piazza.

Plus @Mud_Shark detailed post.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Bottom line, you’re going to have a great cruise, especially if you book a Reserve Class or higher category cabin where you get to dine in the Reserve Dining Room! 😁

ok, so that's new.  We had a suite 2x before and I don't think we had a special dining room.   I guess they're following Celebrity on that one with the "classes" and special dining rooms.

Not in a suite this time.   Got a Caribe deck balcony cabin at a group rate from our TA so I'm good!  🙂  

5 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

ok, so that's new.  We had a suite 2x before and I don't think we had a special dining room.   I guess they're following Celebrity on that one with the "classes" and special dining rooms.

Not in a suite this time.   Got a Caribe deck balcony cabin at a group rate from our TA so I'm good!  🙂  

Reserve class on Princess definitely not the same as Celebrity Luminae.  Reserve class is a roped off area of the MDR with the same menu and kitchen.  Each night a “special” appetizer, or main will be offered.  No reservations required.  Service is elevated compared to the rest of the MDR.

Luminae on Celebrity,  is a totally separate restaurant and kitchen with an upscale menu and superb service.  Night and day difference to Princess Reserve class.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Reserve class on Princess definitely not the same as Celebrity Luminae.  Reserve class is a roped off area of the MDR with the same menu and kitchen.  Each night a “special” appetizer, or main will be offered.  No reservations required.  Service is elevated compared to the rest of the MDR.

Luminae on Celebrity,  is a totally separate restaurant and kitchen with an upscale menu and superb service.  Night and day difference to Princess Reserve class.  

But then you pay for that privilege to dine in Luminae as well. I would much rather book an aft-facing Vista Suite on any Grand Class ship, then pay the cheapest sky suite fare with a similar itinerary. I was curious, so I compared similar May 2025 7-day Alaska itineraries, and this was the difference.

For an aft-facing Vista Suite on the Grand Princess, it was $6,851, with the Plus Package and a refundable deposit.

image.thumb.png.b6e7a6b73fad6b3ab8273ca43fd3e34f.png

For a similar 7-day itinerary on the Celebrity Solstice, it was $9,744 with a refundable deposit.

image.thumb.png.283c1f1bca74a4a1d461cf1212f9f665.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

Yes, Celebrity is more expensive.  But, there are many of us who appreciate the different onboard experience.  Clearly, not for everyone’s taste or budget.  The saying “you get what you pay for”  very much applies to your comparison.