Bonsai Teppanyaki - Service Charge???

Hey CC experts

In all my 10+ Carnival cruises we have never booked the Bonsai Teppanyaki.  Considering a booking here for an upcoming cruise (Feb 2025 lol) with my parents on the Celebration - I typically like to start our first night off with a fancy meal - Steakhouse or Rudi's on our last Celebration sailing.   My mom suggested the Bonsai Teppanyaki as we all have never tried it on board before.  Going as a couple is what has held us back previously - so now that there are 4 of us I thought this would be a great opportunity to book.

I have some OBC so thought I'd lock up our preferred day and time early.  As I went into to book much to my surprise and dismay there is a $15 service charge to book this restaurant???   I checked our November booking on the Panorama and again same thing - wanting to charge a $15 service fee just to book Bonsai Teppanyaki.   

Is this new??  It has turned me off from booking this restaurant out of principle - even though a booking at the steakhouse ends up at the same amount as Bonsai with the service charge 😉 (all about my principles LOL)

If it just is what it is I will likely reconsider but it caught me off guard.

Thanks peeps!

• Like 1

Just checked our planner for our upcoming cruise and it says there is an 18% gratuity added. That's $7.56 per person. The only specialty dining that I saw that didn't include the gratuity is the steakhouse. I wouldn't let it hold me back.

• Like 3

From the Carnival website "*Please note: A 18% gratuity will automatically be added. There will be a $25 fee per person for cancellations made within 24 hours of your scheduled reservation."

• Like 1

I think it's like the same thing you probably have at home   frankly we thought our local Japanese steakhouse is better   it was a one and done for us 

• Like 1

OK thanks for the info.

Our local Japanese Steakhouse closed a few years ago - in Canada so no Benihana's here - so I think I will go for it. 

It does seem to have decent reviews.  Do they provide the free wine /50% off purchase of bottles on Night One like the Steakhouse and Rudi's?  We will have cheers so not a big deal but I do like taking advantage of this bonus if possible.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lesters said:

OK thanks for the info.

Our local Japanese Steakhouse closed a few years ago - in Canada so no Benihana's here - so I think I will go for it. 

It does seem to have decent reviews.  Do they provide the free wine /50% off purchase of bottles on Night One like the Steakhouse and Rudi's?  We will have cheers so not a big deal but I do like taking advantage of this bonus if possible.

That promo is only open to steakhouse and rudi's

• Like 1

Thanks @mz-s!   OK that helps my planning Mom wants to try Rudi's so will do that night one and find a second night for the Bonsai and the rest will be the various restaurants on the Celebration may not hit MDR once this time! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lesters said:

Thanks @mz-s!   OK that helps my planning Mom wants to try Rudi's so will do that night one and find a second night for the Bonsai and the rest will be the various restaurants on the Celebration may not hit MDR once this time! 

I probably wouldn't do the regular MDR either on Excel class - too many other good choices.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival seems to be changing "gratuity" into "service charge" in their systems as time goes on. Not sure why.

Still listed as a gratuity on the website.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival seems to be changing "gratuity" into "service charge" in their systems as time goes on. Not sure why.

My guess is that some may view "gratuity" as optional, and could try and opt out of paying it. A "service charge" on the other hand implies it is mandatory to pay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, salty dingo said:

My guess is that some may view "gratuity" as optional, and could try and opt out of paying it. A "service charge" on the other hand implies it is mandatory to pay.

Many people do think a "service charge" is just fine but a tip...oh, heck no

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I would personally rather pay a gratuity since in many jurisdictions those belong to the staff. A service charge, the company can use that however they'd like. While they might use it for the staff there is nothing that says that they have to.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

8 hours ago, salty dingo said:

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Calling it a service charge (not tips or gratuities) also encourages people to write in additional gratuities if they don't think they've already been charged for gratuities.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I would personally rather pay a gratuity since in many jurisdictions those belong to the staff. A service charge, the company can use that however they'd like. While they might use it for the staff there is nothing that says that they have to.

This is correct there's an jurisdiction employment law difference between service charge and gratuity. The employer can't keep gratuity.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lesters said:

It is a great evening dining experience.  we do it every cruise its offered.  Also on the Celebration for a 7 night cruise you will be hard pressed to enjoy all the food options if the MDR is in your plans as well.  Just too many lol. Emiril's for Banana's Foster is a must do as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

It is a great evening dining experience.  we do it every cruise its offered.  Also on the Celebration for a 7 night cruise you will be hard pressed to enjoy all the food options if the MDR is in your plans as well.  Just too many lol. Emiril's for Banana's Foster is a must do as well.

On our most recent cruise on the MG, it ws the dining hit for the group

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Correct, yet people just gloss over the posted service charge amounts on menus even when the fine print at some places says you can ask for it to be removed.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:33 PM, mz-s said:

Gratuities are optional. Service charges are not.

• Like 2