On Star Legend in Med. Pain control?

Petoonya

Had the misfortune of having a root canal 2 days before departing for cruise.Post procedure day 3 I flew out of LAX for Barcelona. The doctor gave me 5 Vicoden and a low level antibiotic. Jaw was very painful.  Has just gotten worse. Went throught the Vicoden in 1.5 days. Day after boarding Star Legend saw doctor onboard who offered me a visit to endodontist in Barcelona, or to up the antibiotic power. I chose a new antibiotic- the doctor thought a good first line choice too.

36 hours later much worse. It's an 8/10. Jaw swollen. Pain from tooth to ear to eyeball.    

The medical clinic offered me a visit to  another endodontist in Marseille (2 days away) which I'll gladly  choose. Meanwhile, my head/jaw feels like it's going to explode.

Onboard medical  doctor says the clinic has no pain medication to offer.With opiod abuse the way it is, it is understandable. Yet, confusing as I know people in pain do need pain control, and alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen doesn't work for severe tooth pain or broken arms, broken hips, etc.

I don't think I would have cruised taking a chance on hurting like this without adequate pain control. Unfortunately too I'm traveling solo, first cruise after losing my spouse- no one to "there, there" me. 

Anyone else verify- no opiod pain meds on cruise ships unless you bring them yourself?                                                

So sorry,  Try putting an ice pack on the area.  It might help until you can get professional help. Hopefully, the new antibiotic will kick in and give you some relief.

23 minutes ago, texasstar said:

So sorry,  Try putting an ice pack on the area.  It might help until you can get professional help. Hopefully, the new antibiotic will kick in and give you some relief.

An RN for 50 years. Grateful to you, but would not write if I'd not tried that already. It's been over 48 hours so still hope for the antibiotic- meanwhile I'll fuss- meekly.

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. Is there any possibility of an earlier stop where you could visit an endodontist or even other medical help on land? I think I would worry more about the possible damage that may be going on from an unchecked infection. Possibly intervention other than a new antibiotic and pain medication is called for such as draining the infection. If it is much worse after 36 hours on the new antibiotic, it seems like that isn't doing the trick. Do you have trip insurance? It may be time to prepare to leave the ship to get medical intervention.

I broke my arm on an excursion on the penultimate day of a solo cruise (on Star Clipper, not Windstar). These decisions are difficult. We didn't know it was broken and visited a clinic that wrapped it up and I reboarded, but looking back on it, I realize there were indications that it was broken. I debarked the next day and went to a hospital that the ship had arranged. Because it was a compound fracture, I ended up having to get immediate surgery and then stay in the hospital for 3 days for IV antibiotic before heading home. 

I hope you get seen soon for effective treatment.

Edited by new_cruiser

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

meanwhile I'll fuss- meekly.

If I've added up the times correctly, you are around 6 days post root canal with pain and swelling that is getting worse and worse. I think the time for meek is over. If your cruise is 7 days, it will be almost half over by Marseille and you likely won't feel better right away. It's time to get medical attention on shore even if that means debarking early. If your cruise is longer than 7 days, you can catch back up to it when you feel better. 

Thanks so much. Yes, 5 days this morning. And yes, wondering about possible damage....it's pretty damn painful. About 32 hours until I can be seen in Marseille. I figure I'll see what happens there, and talk to family at home if there's a decision to be made. It seems most likely that the  endodontist missed a nerve, so it either needs more drilling or the tooth needs to come out.

Neither would be as complicated as what you went through. Yikes that was bad!

I can hang in there  for another little while. Hadn't considered leaving the ship and rejoining. Easter Saturday and Sunday the ship is in Rome and I could rejoin there. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Missing all the wonderful food onboard, dammit!

Sounds like treatment is needed as soon as possible, something sooner than 2 days. In addition to an infection, it’s possible that the tooth has fractured requiring an emergency extraction (happened to me, fracture was not visible on x~ray only upon extraction and relief was nearly immediate). I’m also very sorry that you are dealing with this. Please keep us posted. 

Sorry you are experiencing this, especially when traveling solo.  Did you purchase travel insurance (I hope)?  Usually, there is a phone number you can call for help because it sounds as if you need help now, not two days from now, but I understand the difficulties when you are cruising.

Yes, I believe there are no opioids on the ship.  Windstar does not have a large medical center like some ships.  Good luck and get that looked at because pain and swelling this long is not normal.

Have you quietly asked any fellow passengers if they have some prescription pain meds they could give you until you get to Marseilles and a doctor? I always travel with a few left over as a just in case situation arises. I would give them to you if you asked me. Since you are a nurse, you know what you are doing.

Thanks very much everyone.

Last night wrote an email to corporate about the pain management problem with medical doctor on board. This morning the doc did give me ketolorac (non-opiod pain med) injection. Helped greatly. And been resting all day. A storm at sea- missed Marseille, but have an appt in Nice tomorrow, 16 hrs away. Looking at my tomorrow at dental clinic. Examining my mouth- there's a big area- like 3 molars  that are now involved. I worry this is  going to cost a small fortune! And wondering if I should just fly home.

I do have insurance but it's through Windstar and I've been unable to reach them because of the storm. This may be considered "pre-existing".

Captain got on a bit ago and advised a second storm coming in now and have to leave Nice early...then next port will be Livorno. If the news is unaffordable or scary from dentist in Nice tomorrow, I'll fly home from Livorno.

Funny, I asked the same medical doctor tonight about pain control for a possible flight home if that's what I decide to do. He hemmed and hawed AGAIN! What is this? It's definitely scary. Makes me extremely reluctant to book any further cruises. Who knows when they're going to get a severe toothache? opiod  abuse is frightful, but when opioids are obviously necessary- WHAT THE HAY?

Last thing. I really appreciate your input everyone. Traveling solo for the first time.....there's no second opinion to be had! Been in touch with my family and they're divided about heading home, but none of them are regular cruisers and limited experience pleasure international traveling.

Susie, you are wise to hold onto a few Vicoden for travel. That's the answer to all of this.

7 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Last thing. I really appreciate your input everyone. Traveling solo for the first time.....there's no second opinion to be had! Been in touch with my family and they're divided about heading home, but none of them are regular cruisers and limited experience pleasure international traveling.

Susie, you are wise to hold onto a few Vicoden for travel. That's the answer to all of this.

To put you at ease reminder France is rated one of the top countries in the world for medical care. Outcomes exceed the US. From experience it might be a lot less expensive than you think. Good Luck to you.  

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

@Strenz

Thank you! Have always heard the very same.

Good Luck mouth pain is grim. When this ordeal is over let us know how you fared. Do not let one incident ruin it for you for what you love to do in the future. 

@Strenz

And another thanks for your empathy!

Gotta say, at 72, finding out cruising solo is iffy now. As an old nurse believe It's crucial to have an advocate available just like at home. Can't just squeeze by because I believe I'm an independent old bat.

Jeez, booked a 31 day for the end of this year. Will wait till all this is behind me, but don't know anymore.

Thank the universe for TWO banana creme brulee they brought me tonight!

I expect you didn't know you were going to need a root canal when you booked your trip. Pre-existing exclusion usually applies to a condition that arose or changed within some number of days (e.g. 120 days) before you bought the insurance. Not something that happened after buying insurance. So, assuming bought the insurance some time ago, that shouldn't apply. 

As a matter of principle, I never buy insurance from a company I'm traveling with. I want the insurance to be independent of my travel carrier (airline, cruiseline, etc.). 

I had travel insurance when I had the broken arm, but they got off lightly. Kaiser covers emergency care internationally so I submitted my bills to them and they reimbursed all but the hospital copay I would have had for same treatment at home. United waived the change fee and fare difference. They even gave me the upgrade that was wait listed for my original flight.

Second the opinion that France will have good dental care.  And possibly less expensive than you expect.  I cracked a tooth in the lounge at ATL just before flying to Buenos Aires for a long Patagonia trip.  Went to a dental clinic in BA and had it polished down (didn't need further work until I got home) plus a full-mouth x-ray – for a total of $41.65 USD

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

As an old nurse believe It's crucial to have an advocate available just like at home.

Travel insurance probably covers someone flying out to support you if needed. I think that's a pretty standard provision if you have someone able to do that. 

@new_cruiser

Thanks for the good word on pre-existing. Unfortunately I used up all my benefits on my dental plan at home, so hoping that the one given by WS will help even a bit a bit, Like you I never purchase cruiseline insurance, but this happened to be a freebie incentive from WS. It's a pretty mediocre plan that I strongly considered backing up- and should have- but didn't.

@Jazzbeau -amazing fix at a time of need for amazing price!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

@Jazzbeau -amazing fix at a time of need for amazing price!

Don't eat the chocolate chip cookies in The Club ATL lounge!!! 

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this. 

We were in Indonesia on Ponant (French ship) last fall. My husband had some medical issues that would have probably cost close to $1000 on any other ship. French medicine? $88! And the doctor stopped by twice to check on him in our cabin. You will be in good (and affordable!) hands if you seek treatment in France. 

Get well soon!