MDR question

wandb

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered, but there are  103  pages in the Dining thread!  I don’t have time to read through them all, so I’m hoping someone here will help. We leave Sunday on the Caribbean Princess and I need to know the dress code for the MDR on non-formal nights. Daughter and grandchildren (21, 16) wonder about shorts, or if slacks are needed. Jeans?

Thanks in advance. 

• Haha 1

Basically no swimwear.  Shorts in the MDR on informal nights can be worn as well as jeans in good repair.  Tshirts with sleeves (no sleeveless), athletic shoes or flip flops or some kind of shirts.  Dress standards on PCL has been going towards the more informal like other mass market cruise lines.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, wandb said:

I’m sure this question has been asked and answered, but there are  103  pages in the Dining thread!  I don’t have time to read through them all, so I’m hoping someone here will help. We leave Sunday on the Caribbean Princess and I need to know the dress code for the MDR on non-formal nights. Daughter and grandchildren (21, 16) wonder about shorts, or if slacks are needed. Jeans?

Thanks in advance. 

No swimsuits.  No muscle shirts.  Nice jeans fine.

We wear long pants and a collared shirt.  Did not see any shorts last cruise.

Think what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Princess "may" stop you from entering the MDR for not complying with their recommended dress code for the evening.  Formal, smart casual, buffet attire.

My daughter invited me to do a staycation with her and her family.  I didn't quite have the "wardrobe" for Ruth Chris and PF Chang. HER "dress" for the evening was "party attire".  I managed to pull together an appropriate outfit for both venues.  

There are many eating venues on a ship.  Dress as you would if you were going out to a nice restaurant for the evening (MDR). 

Coming back from a day out and want to hit the buffet, what you wore out for the day would be appropriate.

Casual dining is less restrictive.  

I am dating myself, but I went to a college that I was not allowed to wear pants (only dresses and skirts).  My cruise attire is functional with clothes that can be dressed up or down.  

This advice may not suit everyone's opinion.  I am only speaking for myself.  Bring a pair of slacks and one nice shirt.  Who cares if they wear the same outfit every night?  Itinerary may also vary clothing preferences.  I was shocked to see people wearing jeans in a New York Theater.  

• Like 4

On the Royal in February (rt Sydney)  a gentleman was refused entrance to the mdr one evening because he was wearing shorts.  I was surprised,  but thought it was the right call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wandb said:

Thanks in advance. 

The requested dress code is long pants (including jeans) and shirts with a collar for men.

No one can predict whether the no shorts policy will be enforced on any ship on any given night. Some dining room managers allow shorts, some do not. If eating in the MDR is important to them, they should be sure to pack pants.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise

IMG_2247.thumb.jpeg.c0787e033ed407cb51f422beadc04870.jpeg

• Like 2

I have never seen anyone actually turned away at the dining room door for wearing shorts in the last few years, but have seen many walking through the DR wearing them.

I've worn my cargo shorts once on the Enchanted but found it much to cool & now only wear my jeans and T shirt on casual evenings.

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

No swimsuits.  No muscle shirts.  Nice jeans fine.

We wear long pants and a collared shirt.  Did not see any shorts last cruise.

Think what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home

Since home this time of year is SW Florida, that certainly gives me a lot of latitude. 😉

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

The perfect item for the man worried about whether his shorts will be allowed in the MDR:

men-quick-dry-lightweight-convertible-hi

Those are my shorts leg extensions .. and without the tat.

17 hours ago, wandb said:

Thanks in advance. 

I have worn khaki and cargo shorts to MDR for dinner on a couple of occasions with no issues.  This was combined with a polo shirt.  I had a golf day vibe going... and I don't golf, but I know how to wear it.  I like my shorts long, so that may also help.  It isn't my first choice, but these were warm weather cruises and port days.

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR are very casual.  No swimwear, but shorts are not an issue.  We typically book suites and breakfast in Sabatini's is our favorite.  Some cruises we just kind of roll out of bed to get down there for a relaxed breakfast.  In that instance its a t-shirt and basketball shorts, but Sabatini's is an out of the way place for suite passengers to have breakfast.

I'd plan on just having appropriate pants and shirts and such as Princess recommends in their documentation for MDR dinner.  It is still very casual most nights.

• Like 1