Vision moving to Norfolk?

There is a news station reporting that Royal will also use Norfolk for Vision of the Seas:
https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/cruise-chaos-royal-caribbean-carnival-cruises-from-baltimore-will-now-port-in-norfolk-ginny-maurer-cruise-planners-talks-travel-insurance-for-cruisers/83-2f8cc024-f92c-4133-9205-bce513f63ef3

I wish Royal would release a statement to those who have cruises booked directly.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rewind said:

There is a news station reporting that Royal will also use Norfolk for Vision of the Seas:
https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/cruise-chaos-royal-caribbean-carnival-cruises-from-baltimore-will-now-port-in-norfolk-ginny-maurer-cruise-planners-talks-travel-insurance-for-cruisers/83-2f8cc024-f92c-4133-9205-bce513f63ef3

I wish Royal would release a statement to those who have cruises booked directly.

No idea how she would know when no one else does.  Also, that story is a day old and we have no info from Royal yet.  We're on the 4 and 12 Apr cruises.

Edited by BND

Just now, BND said:

No idea how she would know when no one else does.  Also, that story is a day old and we have no info from Royal yet.  We're on the 4 and 12 Apr cruises.

On the April 12 here.

The Norfolk Cruise Terminal is a Carnival Terminal. It was scheduled to be renovated in 23 so not sure how Carnival is using it. There is also very limited parking near the terminal.

I suspect that Vision will to the RC cruise terminal in NJ. It makes most sense. It is actually a little closer to Baltimore than Norfolk is. 

I am on the 4th sailing and like you I wish they would make a decision to either cancel the remaining 2 cruises. The ship will be going into drydock in May so cancelling them may be their solution. I find it funny that Carnival announced their plan the very next day. I expected more from RC.

• Like 1

Also, waiting to hear on the April 12 cruise with the people leaving on April 4. They should be finding out now so that they can change their travel plans.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Sounds like they're relying on some assumptions by a travel agent.

She even got the name of the Carnival ship wrong, saying it was the Pride, not the Legend, that was still at sea. The Pride isn't schedule until mid-April.

Probably just lumping all cruise lines together with fact checking.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skydome1 said:

The Norfolk Cruise Terminal is a Carnival Terminal. It was scheduled to be renovated in 23 so not sure how Carnival is using it. There is also very limited parking near the terminal.

I suspect that Vision will to the RC cruise terminal in NJ. It makes most sense. It is actually a little closer to Baltimore than Norfolk is. 

I am on the 4th sailing and like you I wish they would make a decision to either cancel the remaining 2 cruises. The ship will be going into drydock in May so cancelling them may be their solution. I find it funny that Carnival announced their plan the very next day. I expected more from RC.

Carnival announced earlier because they have a ship coming in sunday. Royal doesnt have a ship coming in until Thursday. 

Being surprised that carnival HAD to announce first to me means you just want something NOW you dont have. I'd expect monday royal will announce. It's a long weekend. Carnival had no choice. Royal had a choice. 

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival announced earlier because they have a ship coming in sunday. Royal doesnt have a ship coming in until Thursday. 

Being surprised that carnival HAD to announce first to me means you just want something NOW you dont have. I'd expect monday royal will announce. It's a long weekend. Carnival had no choice. Royal had a choice. 

I'm really shocked that Royal hasn't made a decision... they have to be getting bombarded with calls and emails of people on the next few AND the current cruise. 

Carnival immediately decided to use their cruise terminal to receive the ship underway and all future Baltimore sailings. RC only has 1 terminal close to Baltimore which is NJ. The terminal is already set up to provide all the services needed to support both upcoming sailings. Wherever they go the current cruisers will need to get back to Baltimore. There are also no scheduling issues with the ship currently sailing from there.

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm really shocked that Royal hasn't made a decision... they have to be getting bombarded with calls and emails of people on the next few AND the current cruise. 

They still have a time. Probably they are watching cleanup and deciding. 
I hope for Bayonne if cleanup isn’t finished 

Posted (edited)

It does seem like RC should at least tell people by now if the two cruises prior to the dry dock are going to be cancelled.  Given the fact that both alternative ports are within driving distance, I can understand delaying announcing the location of the new embarkation port until Monday, but I think people should be informed by now whether the next two sailings will be cancelled.  RC sails out of Bayonne year round; they should know at this point whether it is technically possible to sail from there for their next two cruises.  They might choose the other port later, but they should know if it is possible to add sailings from Bayonne since they need to be familiar with its capacity.

Edited by kitkat343

17 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Just got the email - it has moved to Norfolk.

And now we know most of RCCL's Baltimore folks also come from the west and south of Baltimore vs the north.

5 hours ago, Skydome1 said:

The Norfolk terminal is owned by the city, and has serviced many cruise lines over the years. Carnival is the only line to use it as a home port in recent years, but it isn’t strictly a “Carnival terminal.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zebra36 said:

Disappointed with this choice. Will have to think about even going and just eat the cruise fare.

I would be very surprised if Royal did not offer guests the option to cancel for a full refund. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Also noticed our Apr 12 sailing is now only a 7 night sailing and not an 8 night.

Yep as we're on both we received both emails.

We are going to my Mom's in the Yorktown/NN area on Wed. We then plan to park at the Norfolk airport and catch a cab from there as there's limited port parking and we don't want to chance it.  There's a chance my BIL may take us too (DS and DBIL live in Yorktown) as it's not that far and we've taken and picked them up from the airport up here a couple of times.  

For the 12 April it'll now be 7 days and we'll receive OBC and skip Nassau (no big deal as we've been there many time and will be on the first leg)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would be very surprised if Royal did not offer guests the option to cancel for a full refund. 

Nothing in the emails mentions refunds.  Carnival did't offer it.