Vision moving to Norfolk?

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Sooooo where are you? Emotionally I mean? Going through the stages of grief for your Baltimore departure, which is dead. Adjusting to a new option which is alive and in front of you. 

Is the glass half empty or full, and is it filling up for the better with the promise of a cruise still happening for you?

For me, once I am in launch mode, roughly 2 weeks prior, the thought of missing a vacation is far worse than the thought of unplanned adjustments.

I am good. Hard to complain about losing a cruise compared to the families that lost the workers.

We have made some other vacation plans and will spend the money elsewhere.

As long as my wife is healthy and happy, I live the good life everyday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Like the Priceline model of cruises. Put in a bid for a nonspecific mid-Atlantic debark location and take what you get.

Royal will probably take it one step further & not specify the ship either.  "Put in a bid for a nonspecific mid-Atlantic debark location and you'll be guaranteed a 3 star, classic premium cruise ship with a gty stateroom. "

• Haha 1

In reference to cruise being changed from Baltimore to Norfolk VA:

Has anyone considered asking Royal Caribbean about providing bus service from the Baltimore Cruise Terminal parking lot to Norfolk VA Cruise Terminal and back to Baltimore parking lot?

I think many would take advantage of this as long as the charge was reasonable or free.  

1 minute ago, drummer d said:

Has anyone considered asking Royal Caribbean about providing bus service from the Baltimore Cruise Terminal parking lot to Norfolk VA Cruise Terminal and back to Baltimore parking lot?

I think many would take advantage of this as long as the charge was reasonable or free.  

I would not be surprised that the Baltimore Port parking area might be temporarily converted to a work base for the Army Corps of Engineers and other agencies as they bring in their response trailers and equipment. It is fenced in for security, has a large amount of enclosed heated/air conditioned space, and has access to a the water with a large docking area.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Rewind said:

I'm crossing my fingers that they will reimburse a hotel night for after the cruise.  Now just need to find out what to do in Norfolk.

Are you asking what things are available to do? Or are you asking what the procedure is? They said they would send more information, right?

The cruise terminal is in the nicest part of the city. That area is known as waterside. There are fairies that will take you over to Portsmouth. There’s a children’s museum there and some sports museum. A small mall and a bunch of restaurants right on the waterfront. 

• Like 1

A

21 hours ago, zebra36 said:

Disappointed with this choice. Will have to think about even going and just eat the cruise fare.

We are a senior couple living outside Baltimore.  My husband has several health issues.  Norfolk is 4 hours away.  RCI has offered no cancellation, credit to another sailing -  nothing.  We have cancelled our trip, but we will save $1700 in dog boarding 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drummer d said:

Never, ever, ever happen

Interesting first post however

I just can't with the FB roll call groups anymore. I have never heard so much complaining(going to use another word, but it wasn't nice.)  The posts are: Why are we paying for an 8 night cruise if we're only getting 7 (12Apr)  Um, OBC which is more than port fees and taxes.  Now, there's lots of complaining that RoyalUp bids are being cancelled. And, people cancelling.  Another post, someone says "why would they want to sail half full"?  Seriously, you see a few posts of people cancelling and you've decided it's "half".  And, my favorite, those losing their minds that Nassau is the port cancelled.  Not missing much there lol. Nassau is being cancelled because the ship has to be back one day early and it's the last port.  To keep Nassau they'd have to shuffle the entire itinerary (which others have pointed out).  People seem to forget why this is all happening.  An entire economy is being damaged and people lost their lives, but geez, don't cancel Nassau.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Sorry but their inability to provide the vacation we purchased (nights, embarkation port, disembarkation port, general intended region of itinerary) shouldn't really be all our risk and consequence to accept. I am the customer and they are the for-profit business. I know some of this is in the contract, and I know you can buy a million dollar travel insurance policy to insure against the end-of-times, but sometimes the defense of these companies doing whatever they want, as if they are the Red Cross or something, is amusing.

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

shouldn't really be all our risk and consequence to accept

Watch the news.  It won't be long before the lawsuits against the owners of the cargo ship start coming.  Call up one of those law firms.  Have them file your own suit.  Find some others and make it a class action.  Collect your damages.  Easy peasy!

Theron

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Sorry but their inability to provide the vacation we purchased (nights, embarkation port, disembarkation port, general intended region of itinerary) shouldn't really be all our risk and consequence to accept. I am the customer and they are the for-profit business. I know some of this is in the contract, and I know you can buy a million dollar travel insurance policy to insure against the end-of-times, but sometimes the defense of these companies doing whatever they want, as if they are the Red Cross or something, is amusing.

Sigh.  This only happened due to a major tragedy where people lost their lives, and many thousands of people's livelihoods were impacted,  but hey, complain about missing a day.

Edited by BND
  • Like 8

Just now, BND said:

Sigh.  This only happened due to a major tragedy where people lost their lives, but hey, complain about missing a day.

In larger perspective it seems trivial. I read today how most of the shipping companies except Maesrk are going to dump the inbound containers at different ports and told the receivers to come and get it, not our problem to get it to Baltimore. The pain will be spread far and wide and everyone who feels it will be unhappy to some degree. But it is just another bump in the road of life.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Royal is still showing a cruise out of Baltimore at the end of May.

I think they are being a little optimistic. They really should warn people that they might be switched to another departure port.

Former Port of Baltimore Director William Doyle told Maritime Executive clearing of the channel debris will be faster than most people could imagine thanks to the availability of the private sector resources. 

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/bridge-s-weight-is-pinning-container-ship-dali-to-the-bottom

Edited by Jenna1983
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TPKeller said:

Watch the news.  It won't be long before the lawsuits against the owners of the cargo ship start coming.  Call up one of those law firms.  Have them file your own suit.  Find some others and make it a class action.  Collect your damages.  Easy peasy!

Theron

OMG!

If all of the plaintiffs stood in a single line it would go on for miles and miles!

I can hear it now, "I was here first.....No, I was here first,.......Hey, did that person just cut in line?"

I am doing my best to persuade my lovely lady of many years to go on this cruise despite the changes.

I think she feels all of the occurrences affecting our cruise are Omens to let this Great White Whale sail without us.

I might start to believe.....

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BND said:

Sigh.  This only happened due to a major tragedy where people lost their lives, and many thousands of people's livelihoods were impacted,  but hey, complain about missing a day.

I actually have no idea about what day you are referring to or which itineraries are affected in which way. I live here, these are my people, and my town, and I feel terrible about the loss of life and long-term impact. But it doesn't mean people  have to just eat very significant changes that is no longer remotely what they purchased (i.e. new embarkation port 5 HOURS away.... I am not impacted but am still employed and could not magically come up with extra vacation days for those drives) That is why the for-profit business should carry insurance.

Edited by pghflyer

3 minutes ago, BND said:

I know they’re very disappointed that vacations are not what they thought they would be. But I think Royal Caribbean has offered a fairly decent package of changes. It seems the best they can do.

they were never going to make this a good change for people who live close to Baltimore or have issues that longer distances a problem. I mentioned another thread early on that this would be a problem for many Baltimore cruisers. 

I have been waiting for the airlines to step up and waive change fees for people flying in and out of Baltimore, if they are on a cruise. Would be easy enough for them to show they have cruise ticket in order to get their fees waived. Also, it would not be that many people. But I don’t see them stepping up.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

I actually have no idea about what day you are referring to or which itineraries are affected in which way. I live here, these are my people, and my town, and I feel terrible about the loss of life and long-term impact. But it doesn't mean people  have to just eat very significant changes that is no longer remotely what they purchased (i.e. new embarkation port 5 HOURS away.... I am not impacted but am still employed and could not magically come up with extra vacation days for those drives) That is why the for-profit business should carry insurance.

12 April 8 day has been shortened to 7 days and Nassau was dropped.  We're on both the 4 and 12 April cruises and are happy that we are still going. 

What insurance do you think exists that would cover a situation like this?  People should buy insurance for themselves, hence why travel insurance exists.   

32 minutes ago, Pratique said:

In larger perspective it seems trivial. I read today how most of the shipping companies except Maesrk are going to dump the inbound containers at different ports and told the receivers to come and get it, not our problem to get it to Baltimore. The pain will be spread far and wide and everyone who feels it will be unhappy to some degree. But it is just another bump in the road of life.

It's a huge impact to shipping and supply chains.  People need to look outside themselves.

54 minutes ago, BND said:

What insurance do you think exists that would cover a situation like this?  People should buy insurance for themselves, hence why travel insurance exists.   

Except for Cancel for any reason insurance (almost double the cost and you only get back 75% of your loss) travel insurance probably won't cover what happened.  I looked at an old travel insurance policy from Trawick which was underwritten by Nationwide and it would not cover this.

Also, this is not the airlines fault. They shouldn't suffer any losses.  BTW, most airlines will let you make a penalty free change (except for the most basic airline tickets) except you have to pay the current rate on the new itinerary.

The company responsible is the one that owns and/or was operating the cargo ship.  They should pay for everything.  However, they probably did not have enough insurance to cover everything and they probably put the ship into its own corporation to prevent anything like this being charged to the parent corporation.

5 hours ago, drummer d said:

Royal IS providing free bus service from Norfolk next Thursday, to Norfolk airport, BWI airport, or Baltimore cruise port, as each passenger chooses.

I haven't seen news yet about the two following cruises, but I expect there will be something offered.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:32 AM, Rewind said:

There is a news station reporting that Royal will also use Norfolk for Vision of the Seas:
https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/cruise-chaos-royal-caribbean-carnival-cruises-from-baltimore-will-now-port-in-norfolk-ginny-maurer-cruise-planners-talks-travel-insurance-for-cruisers/83-2f8cc024-f92c-4133-9205-bce513f63ef3

I wish Royal would release a statement to those who have cruises booked directly.

They did. There was an email sent out. 

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Royal IS providing free bus service from Norfolk next Thursday, to Norfolk airport, BWI airport, or Baltimore cruise port, as each passenger chooses.

I haven't seen news yet about the two following cruises, but I expect there will be something offered.

Royal will not be offering bus service for any itineraries beyond next week’s return to Norfolk 

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal will not be offering bus service for any itineraries beyond next week’s return to Norfolk 

I really want to make this cruise. I almost have my fabulous partner into the mood. I do not expect transportation or OBC.

I need to know that Royal owns this situation and starts to communicate what is happening in a fashion that makes me feel confident about a successful cruise experience.

Norfolk is saying, "We are open for business." Let us know where the parking is, when to arrive, here are the shuttles, let me know what I have to do to make this successful.

I need this from Royal, not from all of you loyal CC posters.Not from Norfolk City services which have been really great. I think Norfolk is owning this much more than Royal.

Royal is not communicating directly to me except for the minimum amount of information.

I have paid for the cruise and I am trying to make it work.

"Need Input." (Short Circuit, 1986)