Request for a Cruise Meal Box for Excursions

akaCruiser

8 hours ago, akaCruiser said:

Wasn't looking to bring fruit off the ship, just was looking for a sandwich or small snack item like cookies to nibble on, on a 5 to 8 hour excursions in Europe. 

Every long excursion we did in Europe included meals and/or snacks which were explained in the excursion details. We had several that were long, some 10 -12 hours. We've also never had problems with taking off pre-packaged food.

8 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, agricultural laws will prevent you from taking any food that is not prepackaged off the ship.

I took a Caribbean cruise in 2017 with my mom.  Before we got off the ship, she wanted to take an apple or orange on our excursion.  I made her leave it in the room.  When we got on the pier, there were 2 woman with giant garbage bags collecting any fresh fruit/food from the ship,  I had to do an "I told you so."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there anything onboard that is prepackaged such as cookies or crackers? Just asking as we always try for something local but I understand budget restrictions esp for families. 

At dinner time, there's some sort of prepackaged cracker (saltines, water) by the cheeses on a Royal Class ship.  Having said that, the cruise line expects passengers to come back to the ship to eat, purchase food on shore, or go hungry until coming back to the ship.

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We saw a couple guests getting fines in New Zealand,when there were multiple warnings, PA system,patters and signs. And no, not a warning, fines. 

The warning in NZ is the PA notices, signs and the Patter. Ignore them and you get the fine 🤷‍♂️

NZ cruises are saturated with warnings about taking food ashore - and all the fruit in the buffet is cut up so passengers are less likely to take a banana apple or orange off the ship. I have seen customs officers with dogs on the ship at some port stops. My last cruise they announced that only unopened commercially bottled water, commercially packaged biscuits ( not american style biscuits )and chocolates could be taken ashore. If you are flying in you have to declare any food so was surprised the ship stated these are allowed,

2 hours ago, robncruise said:

NZ cruises are saturated with warnings about taking food ashore 

Same in Oz, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji by the way.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Senga said:

You are allowed to bring food ashore in Iceland.  We're doing excursions and they actually recommend bringing food from the ship.  I checked the rules and there is no problem so check the rules for wherever you're visiting.

The excursion people recommend it, not the ship. It would surprise me if this is allowed.

Clarification - you are fine taking pre-packaged food off the ship. Not items from the buffet that are not pre-packaged.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Packaged cookies would be ok - sandwich would be a no no because it’s still fresh food. 

Those Europe tours can be long. I would suggest packing some of your favorite packaged snacks to take along if you don’t want to get food in port - although trying local food is on of the joys of traveling! You can purchase bottled water or sodas to bring on your excursions as you leave the ship. 

We were on a 12-day British Isles cruise on Princess last July. We took off food in plastic storage bags at almost every port.  It is not the same (at least for us in Scotland, Ireland, Guernsey and Wales).  We never encountered any of the signs to throw food away here, etc., as when we  traveled in the Carribean and Mexico.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Womble99 said:

The warning in NZ is the PA notices, signs and the Patter. Ignore them and you get the fine 🤷‍♂️

Yup. They had zero sympathy from other passengers. Probably thought it didn't apply to them. We were glad to see it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

We were on a 12-day British Isles cruise on Princess last July. We took off food in plastic storage bags at almost every port.  It is not the same (at least for us in Scotland, Ireland, Guernsey and Wales).  We never encountered any of the signs to throw food away here, etc., as when we  traveled in the Carribean and Mexico.  

Mexico is the only place that has a food check in the Caribbean that I've encountered and some ships will make announcements in the morning about not taking food off the ship and some won't. 

15 hours ago, jannieb said:

Is there anything onboard that is prepackaged such as cookies or crackers? Just asking as we always try for something local but I understand budget restrictions esp for families. 

They sell cans of Pringles chips and other snacks in the shops on most ships. It’s also often possible to find a shop while off the ship and purchase snacks for the next day.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:35 AM, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, agricultural laws will prevent you from taking any food that is not prepackaged off the ship.

A widely held belief, but baked goods are a likely exception. Rules typically focus on fruits, veggies, and meats.  It varies by jurisdiction.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ldubs said:

A widely held belief, but baked goods are a likely exception. Rules typically focus on fruits, veggies, and meats.  It varies by jurisdiction.  

We've always taken baked items without any problems.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derbie said:

Just because you did, doesn't make it right or legal.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

The OP said they are going to Europe. Not sure why people keep referring to NZ. Is that considered Europe?

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

Mars and Snickers? Ok.

Salami sandwich? No.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 2

Just now, EDVM96 said:

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

Mars and Snickers? Ok.

Salami sandwich? No.

I've been to Europe as I already commented. Just curious why people are giving information about places the OP didn't inquire about. Just not sure how that is helpful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I've been to Europe as I already commented. Just curious why people are giving information about places the OP didn't inquire about. Just not sure how that is helpful.

That cat escaped from the bag at post #1 and Europe wasn't introduced until post #5.... an eternity on here for all kinds of advice, comment and conjecture.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Paula_MacFan said:

Well, I just responded to the New Zealand post. Forum threads are dynamic, and content is not only for the OP. And the thread title is "Request for a Cruise Meal Box for Excursions".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Just because you did, doesn't make it right or legal.

Nor, depending on the food type, does it make it wrong or illegal.  There seems to be a widespread misconception on these forums that all food types are banned.  That may be the case in some places, but one should not conclude that applies everywhere.  There are a lot of food types that can be brought into places visited on a British Isles cruise.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Nor, depending on the food type, does it make it wrong or illegal.  There seems to be a widespread misconception on these forums that all food types are banned.  That may be the case in some places, but one should not conclude that applies everywhere.  There are a lot of food types that can be brought into places visited on a British Isles cruise.  

Just a quick search:

There are restrictions on bringing meat, dairy, fish and animal products and fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds into Great Britain from abroad.

Best to follow ship rules.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2