Wheelchair Availability at Airports

CDNPolar

This is the first time we need a wheelchair for transit within an airport.

We are flying to China and "picking up" my Mother-In-Law to bring her to Canada.  Then doing the reverse and accompanying her back to China.

We don't want to list her as disabled or needing assistance from the airline from checkin to boarding, we just want a wheelchair once we clear security and are on the air side of the airport.  She can well manage into the airport and through security.  It is the miles of walking once you get through security or when you land.

Questions:

1)  Are wheelchairs readily available when you clear security for the taking?

2)  When landing are wheelchairs readily available as soon as. you are off the plane?

Silly question, but probably relevant  -  this is likely different airport to airport?

We have just never paid attention to this before.

We will be using YYZ / ICN / SHE airports.

At YYZ you will want to have made the request through your airline.  Firstly, because it is a long walk to get to the mobility assistance area where wheelchairs and assistants have been pre-booked.  Secondly, because the assistant will take your party through an expedited process.  (Assuming by “we” that your party is no more than the three of you.)

If you do not pre-book, you can try to do a walk-up request (pre-security) but it is subject to availability and will impact timelines.  Without knowing your airline and/or terminal it is difficult to provide further information.

In general you will need to make reservations through your airline. Donot expect to find wheelchairs to be available at most airports.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We don't want to list her as disabled or needing assistance from the airline from checkin to boarding, we just want a wheelchair once we clear security and are on the air side of the airport.  She can well manage into the airport and through security.  It is the miles of walking once you get through security or when you land.

The situation you are describing (needing wheelchair for those loooong walks airside, or even city-side) is usually what the airport wheelchairs are for.

And they usually come with a "pusher".

I use one for that exact purpose.

We always list the request when we make the air reservation.  Usually someone at a ticket counter, or checking baggage, will call for the chair.  Or if we drop luggage at the curb, we can ask right there, and they'll get someone to come out with a chair.

But it's always been a "chair and pusher" combo.

I'm not sure why you want to avoid the terms "disabled" or "needing assistance", as that is exactly what the wheelchairs are for, a the least for "assistance", right? 😉 

Also, when you have a chair/pusher, they can usually expedite passage through some of the assorted checkpoints, which is very helpful.

The terminology on some airline check-in (or ticketing) websites is often "wheelchair assistance".  You can request it online or by phone.  Don't get caught up in the wording.  

I'm not sure how often they (the "powers that be", at airports) just lend out the wheelchairs.  That could lead to wheelchairs being left at various places scattered around the airport rather than being returned to certain locations where they are ready for the next use (with the pusher).  There may also be concerns about theft if they just let "anyone" walk off with a wheelchair (?).

You might also ask at the Disabled Travel section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

There may be others there who are much more familiar with this issue.

GC

• Like 1

22 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

At YYZ you will want to have made the request through your airline.  Firstly, because it is a long walk to get to the mobility assistance area where wheelchairs and assistants have been pre-booked.  Secondly, because the assistant will take your party through an expedited process.  (Assuming by “we” that your party is no more than the three of you.)

If you do not pre-book, you can try to do a walk-up request (pre-security) but it is subject to availability and will impact timelines.  Without knowing your airline and/or terminal it is difficult to provide further information.

21 hours ago, Ine said:

In general you will need to make reservations through your airline. Donot expect to find wheelchairs to be available at most airports.

21 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

The situation you are describing (needing wheelchair for those loooong walks airside, or even city-side) is usually what the airport wheelchairs are for.

And they usually come with a "pusher".

I use one for that exact purpose.

We always list the request when we make the air reservation.  Usually someone at a ticket counter, or checking baggage, will call for the chair.  Or if we drop luggage at the curb, we can ask right there, and they'll get someone to come out with a chair.

But it's always been a "chair and pusher" combo.

I'm not sure why you want to avoid the terms "disabled" or "needing assistance", as that is exactly what the wheelchairs are for, a the least for "assistance", right? 😉 

Also, when you have a chair/pusher, they can usually expedite passage through some of the assorted checkpoints, which is very helpful.

The terminology on some airline check-in (or ticketing) websites is often "wheelchair assistance".  You can request it online or by phone.  Don't get caught up in the wording.  

I'm not sure how often they (the "powers that be", at airports) just lend out the wheelchairs.  That could lead to wheelchairs being left at various places scattered around the airport rather than being returned to certain locations where they are ready for the next use (with the pusher).  There may also be concerns about theft if they just let "anyone" walk off with a wheelchair (?).

You might also ask at the Disabled Travel section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

There may be others there who are much more familiar with this issue.

GC

Thank you all... this is very helpful.  

The Airports are:  SHE  / ICN / YYZ T3

I was expecting that it might be easier to just grab a wheelchair after security.  You often see them randomly around the departure gates, but had never looked to see if they are available just through security.

The reason we did not want to list her as "needing assistance" is my husband does not want the "pusher", he wants to take care of this himself.  I do suppose however that there are likely some liability issues for the airport if you are doing this on your own.

11 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Definitely post your query on the Disabled Cruise Travel board as mentioned by @GeezerCouple

Will do this too.

Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The reason we did not want to list her as "needing assistance" is my husband does not want the "pusher", he wants to take care of this himself.  I do suppose however that there are likely some liability issues for the airport if you are doing this on your own.

YYZ has self-service wheelchairs if you want to take your chances.

YYZ MOBILITY SERVICES

IMG_1341.thumb.jpeg.5c09197d0f3c37b930600149e05947bc.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

One of the advantages of having the pusher from the airline is that they know exactly how to get from Point A to Point B, know all the short-cuts and how to navigate security and lines efficiently.  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Which would only work when departing from YYZ.  Even when arriving, this would have them on the "wrong" side of security for an arrival.

At YYZ there are in-terminal shuttles available as passengers exit the jetway.  (Deplaning passengers are physically separated from those waiting at boarding gates.)  If a passenger needs to wait for the next available shuttle, there is seating at multiple points along the way.  These are clearly marked as seen in the picture in the attached link.  Or they can be flagged down if one happens to be between pickup points.

YYZ In-Terminal Shuttle Service

IMG_1342.jpeg.2a0c2665762351b4fa4b1d404f2699f7.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
Decided to include a screen grab.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

One of the advantages of having the pusher from the airline is that they know exactly how to get from Point A to Point B, know all the short-cuts and how to navigate security and lines efficiently.  

Gotta love nesting.  @CDNPolar, this response was for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I was expecting that it might be easier to just grab a wheelchair after security.  You often see them randomly around the departure gates, but had never looked to see if they are available just through security.

Keep in mind that those around departure gates may well have been put there for passengers coming in on the next flight arriving at that gate who requested assistance; the pushers will show up when the plane arrives. 

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Keep in mind that those around departure gates may well have been put there for passengers coming in on the next flight arriving at that gate who requested assistance; the pushers will show up when the plane arrives. 

And on occasion they push more than one chair.  

19 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Your making things more difficult for everyone involved.   

Given what you describe, at the Canadian airports you likely will be offered a ride on a golf cart for the long stretches instead of a wheelchair.  That said, if you ask the airline for the chair instead they will likely accommodate.  If you indicate you want to do the pushing they likely will be more than happy to leave you to it.

In Asia there is a different service culture. They will be much more enthusiastic to go above and beyond even if its not exactly what you wanted.  

If you call the airline and describe what you are after they likely will make a note on the reservation and have everything ready for you.

Where I work, and in most US airports, no chairs are sitting around for you to use, and if you see one, you can't just grab it.  When you make your reservation, you will be able to request  wheelchair service.  Upon arrival at the airport, you need to ask an agent to call for the wheelchair service; it won't be waiting for you because they have no idea when you are arriving.  

I agree that this isn't complicated and there is no reason not to let the people who push the wheelchairs make a living.