Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Weather has dramatically improved.   Seas are calming by the hour and pool deck was packed.

We turn our clocks forward tonight. 

It is incredible that we only have 2 time zone changes on this cruise.  (Plus a dateline).   With the cancellation of Lifou Loyalty, Island  we will not get to Venauatu until our Saturday (Friday U.S.)

Jim, please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't your itinerary that you posted below show 4 time changes--during the nights of Thu Apr 11, Sun Apr 14, Wed Apr 17, and Mon Apr 22?

IMG_3566.jpeg.83888547042e74f3f34831d0a1

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really would love to the do the New England / Canada one again.  Loved it.  

Would definitely have lined up (or stole Linda's fantastic Prince Edward Preserves.   Yum

Caramelized Red Onion Chutney

This is the stuff.  You would have to fight me for it.  All my neighbors and guests swoon over it also.  You too can order from https://preservecompany.com/collections/pickles-salsa-savoury/products/caramelised-red-onion-chutney  They've got lots of other fabulous stuff too.

If you decide to do another Canada/New England cruise, let me know.  I don't think Celebrity does the wonderful 14-night ones any more, though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

This is the stuff.  You would have to fight me for it.  All my neighbors and guests swoon over it also.  You too can order from https://preservecompany.com/collections/pickles-salsa-savoury/products/caramelised-red-onion-chutney  They've got lots of other fabulous stuff too.

If you decide to do another Canada/New England cruise, let me know.  I don't think Celebrity does the wonderful 14-night ones any more, though.

Now a knife fight may just be in order.   I think I would love it.     I haven't had breakfast yet and already salivating.

My MIL use to make the best Pear Chutney -   She gave me her recipe so some day I may just have to make some in her honor.  

Almost booked a New England cruise on Oceania this fall but it was too close to our Double Header TA's in October / November.     We booked a combo - Alaska, Panama Canal, Caribbean ending in New York instead.     It is our trial baloon on Oceania.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good Morning from somewhere in the Pacific --- Tomorrow will be our first port of call -

Mystery Island, Vanuatu.

image.thumb.png.25e1de5a557c8ca9e17f46b9f59a017c.png

This island is said to be haunted by ghosts and are only visited by the inhabitants of the nearby Aneityum Island and Tanna Island further up north, when there's a cruise in town.

The southernmost island of Vanuatu, its diminutive size (159 square kilometers, or 61 square miles) and lack of modern amenities—there's no Internet nor even running water or electricity—lends the place something of a Robinson Crusoe-esque atmosphere.

It will be a Tender Port -

image.thumb.png.623c8247c3ef860e15772ff46826099e.pngStock Photo

Enjoy Mystery Island, it is my favourite place in Vanuatu, lovely snorkling if you go out far enough. They have done considerable work in preservation of vegetation and making paths and such. Hopefully, the work is still being maintained.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

So those preserves you bought in PEI are imported from Britain? Or am I reading the label wrong? 🤔 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Enjoy Mystery Island, it is my favourite place in Vanuatu, lovely snorkling if you go out far enough. They have done considerable work in preservation of vegetation and making paths and such. Hopefully, the work is still being maintained.

Looking forward to it after so many days at seas. 

I’m going to give my GoPro an underwater try. 

26C or 79F predicted per captain 👨‍✈️ just now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

With so many sea days been getting in some steps

Something has gone astray for sure.  

IMG_3648.thumb.png.2ceeb5f5fe02ac56ed6beca5f9c39b2d.png

Rough seas will do that, too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Maui4us said:

Rough seas will do that, too!

The funny things is my steps are normal on my watch and in the app.   Just the over achiever notice is way off.

• Haha 3

Love the picture! 

enjoy mystery island 🏝️ 

We really enjoyed it and Vanuatu 🇻🇺 

The snorkelling was great🙌🏻 

Have lovely day💙 

Lots of love from the LH lounge in LHR🛫

• Like 3

Today was day 4 and I thought I would reflect on the cruise - especially with our recent disappointment with the Edge Class ships.

Michael's Club - vs - Retreat Lounge

While the Suites lounge hasn't been updated and still the old dark clubby paneling - we are enjoying it much better than Retreat.  

The Concierges are engaging, attentive and very responsive to any request.   Even though they don't have a hot/cold table they have everything you wish with table side service.   It is our go to place for a light continental breakfast.    We went to the CC Breakfast one morning and it was mobbed -- we had to grab a table when someone got up and it was cleared of the dirty dishes quickly.   I think this cruise has a large CC member count -- they had 2 Captains Toasts --- Elite + and above and all others the next day.

They have a actual bar on Solstice which we love.   Originally there were 4 chairs and Lucy pulled up 2 more --- then last night she had 8 high top seats for the group that we have been drinking with.     Really fun -   as opposed to to the Airport Lounge feel of Edge. 

Sorry --- these are of course only my opinions and we each have different tastes and preferences.    I think Edge convinced us we will never sail E-Class again.     If E-Class is Celebrity's future we are Celebrity's Past... ok... ok.... I'm an GRUMPY OLD GIT!   Stay tuned.

Luminae -

So far would give it a 10+ on Solstice vs a 7 on Edge.   Food always perfectly cooked to order.   The Maitre'd an Assistant are ever present and checking in.    The Sommelier greets us when we arrive and is watching glasses constantly.    Edge shall we say was like pulling teeth or asking the assistant waiter to find him.     Iain was please that they had his  Louis Jardot - Macon-Village 2020 on the Premium Package.... He is happy.   I have my Fre Red - January 2024 so am also pleased.

When we first boarded we saw they had implemented the "New" Luminae Menu -  Of course the Raspberry Pistachio Vancherin had been replaced with the Chocolate Pill on the Daniel Boulud menu.     Last night I noticed it was on day 3 menu.   I asked Mori (our waiter) if it was a mistake.  He said no-   they were going to alternate and it was indeed available ---  2 points for the Solstice.

Next up Murano -

Excellent as usual.   It was quiet with light music in the background -  unlike ALL OF THE SPECIALTIES  on Edge Class with no walls and blaring noise an music.  I would give our experience a 10+ vs.   all the specialties on Edge Class -  7-

More later --- Iain just left for a smoke and I meet him in Michael's Club in 15 minutes.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

IMG_3657.thumb.jpeg.d6c33366f3a00207262712a6b465f97d.jpeg

Best in Show!  You should have this one  done in oils!

(When was it taken? did you add any special filters?)

On current  topic: We have a booking on APEX but are moving back to S Class after that,  if possible. Trying Silhouette then maybe Eclipse. .

.Hoping  the ambiance will be a bit  more subdued than the "go go go" life on E Class....and with  less intrusion of sports and games into daytime areas!   Less loud and shouty..  We like to read and  do puzzles, and enjoy  afternoon tea/ coffee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Today was day 4 and I thought I would reflect on the cruise - especially with our recent disappointment with the Edge Class ships.

Michael's Club - vs - Retreat Lounge

While the Suites lounge hasn't been updated and still the old dark clubby paneling - we are enjoying it much better than Retreat.  

The Concierges are engaging, attentive and very responsive to any request.   Even though they don't have a hot/cold table they have everything you wish with table side service.   It is our go to place for a light continental breakfast.    We went to the CC Breakfast one morning and it was mobbed -- we had to grab a table when someone got up and it was cleared of the dirty dishes quickly.   I think this cruise has a large CC member count -- they had 2 Captains Toasts --- Elite + and above and all others the next day.

They have a actual bar on Solstice which we love.   Originally there were 4 chairs and Lucy pulled up 2 more --- then last night she had 8 high top seats for the group that we have been drinking with.     Really fun -   as opposed to to the Airport Lounge feel of Edge. 

Sorry --- these are of course only my opinions and we each have different tastes and preferences.    I think Edge convinced us we will never sail E-Class again.     If E-Class is Celebrity's future we are Celebrity's Past... ok... ok.... I'm an GRUMPY OLD GIT!   Stay tuned.

Luminae -

So far would give it a 10+ on Solstice vs a 7 on Edge.   Food always perfectly cooked to order.   The Maitre'd an Assistant are ever present and checking in.    The Sommelier greets us when we arrive and is watching glasses constantly.    Edge shall we say was like pulling teeth or asking the assistant waiter to find him.     Iain was please that they had his  Louis Jardot - Macon-Village 2020 on the Premium Package.... He is happy.   I have my Fre Red - January 2024 so am also pleased.

When we first boarded we saw they had implemented the "New" Luminae Menu -  Of course the Raspberry Pistachio Vancherin had been replaced with the Chocolate Pill on the Daniel Boulud menu.     Last night I noticed it was on day 3 menu.   I asked Mori (our waiter) if it was a mistake.  He said no-   they were going to alternate and it was indeed available ---  2 points for the Solstice.

Next up Murano -

Excellent as usual.   It was quiet with light music in the background -  unlike ALL OF THE SPECIALTIES  on Edge Class with no walls and blaring noise an music.  I would give our experience a 10+ vs.   all the specialties on Edge Class -  7-

More later --- Iain just left for a smoke and I meet him in Michael's Club in 15 minutes.

All of this is wonderful to hear and makes me even more excited for our TA on Equinox this fall.  We share much the same feelings about the Edge class, so glad it sounds like S class is much closer to the Celebrity we have loved for 25+ years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Agree..Equinox was one of our fav ships.  We have enjoyed EDGE ( 2x),  BEYOND and especially ASCENT..but after APEX. we not booking E for awhile..no interest in XL..

link to Cruise Critic review of EQ..says it offers laid back luxury..adult vibe:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/celebrity/celebrity-equinox

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

I think Edge convinced us we will never sail E-Class again.    

Like you & Iain both my husband & myself didn't really like E-class after sailing on the Edge in an Aqua class IV cabin, we found we much preferred an actual verandah.  We are looking at other cruise lines, and am comparing them to Celebrity (but it'd be the Solstice or Constellation class ships if we do go with Celebrity).

• Like 1

Captain just came on.  Medical emergency and we are diverting to Noumea, New Caledonia for an evacuation.    

Looks like they will be cancelling Mystery Island, Vanuatu.   

Trying other alternatives but won’t know until tomorrow morning.  

IMG_3668.thumb.jpeg.ecc3bcffb2f7115e273292d420614e82.jpeg

• Like 4